Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Durango, CO (pending final City approval)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the best way to for Model Y from Page, AZ to Durango, CO? I am considering Page, AZ to Farmington, NW then Durango and Page to Blanding, Utah and then tu Durango.

Define "best"...

Shortest?
US160/491 the whole way, 260 miles between DCFC and not great L2 bailouts...

Most scenic?
Page to Bluff or Blanding to Monticello to Cortez to Durango is longer miles, has charging options midway, and more scenic IMNSHO.

If you have a CCS adapter or an old ChaDeMo (watering can) adapter like I do, you can charge for free in Bluff at the Chargepoint L3 charger to save some time on the Kayenta/Cortez route. Otherwise its either as @phxazcraig outlines above (preferred) or the dreaded Kayenta/Red Mesa/Shiprock/Farmington route.

Seems like as good of a time as any to remind everyone to vote for Kayenta, AZ, Pagosa Springs, CO, Cuba, NM, and Chama, NM to fill in some of these Four Corners gaps! Voting in Q1 starts on Monday.

If you have a CCS adapter or an old ChaDeMo (watering can) adapter like I do, you can charge for free in Bluff at the Chargepoint L3 charger to save some time on the Kayenta/Cortez route. Otherwise its either as @phxazcraig outlines above (preferred) or the dreaded Kayenta/Red Mesa/Shiprock/Farmington route.

Seems like as good of a time as any to remind everyone to vote for Kayenta, AZ, Pagosa Springs, CO, Cuba, NM, and Chama, NM to fill in some of these Four Corners gaps! Voting in Q1 starts on Monday.
I think I have 4 votes in the top 20 and 2 in the top ten in the past voting. Looking forwards, Kayenta (which might not have sufficient power for a SC station?), and Cortez both need SC's badly. Those are very strategic locations. Prescott needs an SC. Seligman, to split the I-40 gap between Kingman and Flagstaff. And Wickieup, to split the gap between Kingman and Wickenburg on the route to Las Vegas.

I think I have 4 votes in the top 20 and 2 in the top ten in the past voting. Looking forwards, Kayenta (which might not have sufficient power for a SC station?), and Cortez both need SC's badly. Those are very strategic locations. Prescott needs an SC. Seligman, to split the I-40 gap between Kingman and Flagstaff. And Wickieup, to split the gap between Kingman and Wickenburg on the route to Las Vegas.
Cortez is on the Colorado Energy Office list for DCFC and I believe that Tesla has been approved for it. From the first post in this thread:

Tesla, Inc.: Fort Collins, Highlands Ranch, Springfield, Cortez, Kit Carson, Wray, De Beque, Durango, Pagosa Springs, Poncha Springs [I presume that Poncha Springs would be a V3/V4 expansion]

CEO expects the chargers supported by the current DCFC Plazas awards to become available by the end of 2025.

FWIW

Cortez is on the Colorado Energy Office list for DCFC and I believe that Tesla has been approved for it. From the first post in this thread:

FWIW
An upgrade of the Poncha Springs chargers to V2/V3 would be very welcome!

Final reading and approval of the Durango Superchargers by the City of Durango is on tonight's agenda for the City Council meeting. I have attached the proposed agreement, among some of the interesting items:
  • There are a total of 8 superchargers proposed, including:
    • 4 "dedicated charging stalls"
    • 4 parking stalls to be signed for 30 minute general parking
    • 1 pull-through stall
    • At least 1 ADA-compliant parking stall
  • Tesla may request (and the City of Durango must approve) the conversion of the 4 general parking spaces to "dedicated charging spaces" with 10 days written notice.
  • 10-year lease term
  • "All Superchargers installed in the Licensed Area shall be capable of charging both Tesla and non-Tesla Vehicles". I would imagine that this means Magic Dock, but I'll let you form your own opinion based on NACS now only a year away from allowing other vehicles.
  • Monthly rent is $1,000
  • City may restrict (4) charging spaces for special events/maintenance
  • Looks like the equipment cabinet location is proposed to be in front of the bike parking (map on page 8 of 13).
  • The solar canopy/solar panels/storage are mentioned in Exhibit B under the "may include" items, so I'm not sure if this will actually be constructed.
  • Fun fact (maybe to me only): I worked on the Transit Center site design as the Civil Engineer back in the day when we discovered an old (abandoned) 8-in wooden water line about 20 ft from the proposed cabinet location. Think of a really skinny, really long, underground wooden barrel, and that's exactly what we found.
The meeting is scheduled for tonight. If I remember I'll update the post with the approval.

Attachments

• Durango Supercharger Agreement.pdf
    6.5 MB · Views: 35
page8image36784576

At least the stalls are pretty far from the building, hopefully making 30 minute/General Parking less likely. On page 4 it also states that Tesla "has the option to covert the 4 general parking stalls into dedicated charging stalls with 10 days written notice in order to satisfy demand for charging services, subject to Counterparty approval, which shall not be unreasonably withheld, conditioned or delayed." Sounds like a formality, once plenty of demand is established. Curious how that is determined as I'd guess greater than 50% occupancy would be reached on the first holiday weekend.

Reactions: gsmith123
Agreed, that seems... strange.

Does Durango just want some confirmation that all 8 chargers will actually be used? I agree that'll happen pretty quickly.

Idaho Springs and Poncha Springs also have 30 general parking and TBH I haven't noticed many issues (but I also haven't been there at really busy times when it matters...)

Regarding the likelihood of ICEing (unrelated to frozen water), I've used the CCS chargers in this lot 4 times in the past year and not encountered it in the existing EV charging stalls. Nor have I seen this lot completely full. I was usually there during ski season or summer, so the town was pretty busy. It will be a bit more likely with 8 SC stalls, but hopefully will not be a frequent problem. As EV drivers, we should do our part by charging and moving out quickly.

Reactions: fhteagle
I don't get down there super often, but I have seen the lot basically at capacity. And all DCFC dispensers in use to the point where a Leaf had to downgrade to using the L2 post to get enough juice to move to the 22kW DCFC at the north end of town. So it does happen...

Reactions: doeandjon
Quick update, City Council approved the agreement last night as part of a unanimous approval of the entire consent agenda. There was no additional discussion.

A few weeks ago I had a good email conversation with the City's Multi-Modal coordinator regarding the general parking situation (and to plead our case that only actively-charging vehicle parking should be permitted). Basically she said the same things that were mentioned in the agreement, but reading between the lines and knowing a few of the personalities and interests within City staff, I can nearly guarantee that the agreement was written this way to satisfy the folks that feel that these parking spaces will sit mostly empty and cost the City 10 parking spaces indefinitely.

It's also worth noting that the lost annual revenue from the 10 existing parking spaces (to be converted to 8 charging spaces) is no more than ($30/month per parking space) x (10 spaces) x (12 months) = $3,600 / year max. In reality, the City offers discounts to employers for the parking passes, so this amount is most likely even less. Compare this with Tesla's rent on the area of $12,000 / year.

Quick update, City Council approved the agreement last night as part of a unanimous approval of the entire consent agenda. There was no additional discussion.

A few weeks ago I had a good email conversation with the City's Multi-Modal coordinator regarding the general parking situation (and to plead our case that only actively-charging vehicle parking should be permitted). Basically she said the same things that were mentioned in the agreement, but reading between the lines and knowing a few of the personalities and interests within City staff, I can nearly guarantee that the agreement was written this way to satisfy the folks that feel that these parking spaces will sit mostly empty and cost the City 10 parking spaces indefinitely.

It's also worth noting that the lost annual revenue from the 10 existing parking spaces (to be converted to 8 charging spaces) is no more than ($30/month per parking space) x (10 spaces) x (12 months) = $3,600 / year max. In reality, the City offers discounts to employers for the parking passes, so this amount is most likely even less. Compare this with Tesla's rent on the area of $12,000 / year.
Excellent news!

$12,000/year at $0.39/kWh is 30,769kWh per year or 84kWh per day. Roughly equivalent two cars charging from 20-80% every day. I have no idea what Tesla will be paying for electricity, but it looks like it should be pretty easy to make rent :)

Reactions: doeandjon