Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Durango, CO (pending final City approval)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 1005217

At least the stalls are pretty far from the building, hopefully making 30 minute/General Parking less likely. On page 4 it also states that Tesla "has the option to covert the 4 general parking stalls into dedicated charging stalls with 10 days written notice in order to satisfy demand for charging services, subject to Counterparty approval, which shall not be unreasonably withheld, conditioned or delayed." Sounds like a formality, once plenty of demand is established. Curious how that is determined as I'd guess greater than 50% occupancy would be reached on the first holiday weekend.
I was there last week and twice plugged into one of the four ChargePoint J1772 chargers. The most activity was one Model Y also using a J1772 charger. Naturally, no one was using either of the 2 CCS chargers.

Any indication how quickly we might see some construction activity? Do Colorado winters slow down progress?
Not too many Civil projects start in the winter due to snow. freezing temps, and all the asphalt plants being shut down until early srping. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'd say completion in early 3rd Quarter of 2024 is the best we can hope for.

I drive by multiple times a day, and if I see as much as fresh utility locate paint on the ground I'll let TMC know.

I stopped here twice over the holidays. One time I successfully charged. The second time I couldn’t initiate. But this was likely due to water in the charge port after a touch-less wash. There was a model y that was charging though they did have trouble initiating the charge. The supercharger will be much appreciated. Especially since the drive between Durango and Moab can be long depending on the weather. Some locals were saying they heard it should open in 2025. I still think late 2024.

Good info on timeline. I was hoping for this summer, but that might be ambitious. Not apples to apples, but construction time on some installs down in metro phx have been as quick as 6-7 weeks. Weather is not an obstacle not nearly as remote a location.
I don't know if I'm reading the info correctly, and if supercharger.info itself has good data, but check out the new SC in Ames, Iowa. The data seems to be changing on supercharge.info, but earlier I saw it listed as permitted Dec 3, Construction the next day and opened Dec 20!

I don't know if I'm reading the info correctly, and if supercharger.info itself has good data, but check out the new SC in Ames, Iowa. The data seems to be changing on supercharge.info, but earlier I saw it listed as permitted Dec 3, Construction the next day and opened Dec 20!
The Ames site likely went undiscovered for a number of weeks. 17 days of actual construction (and commissioning) duration is extremely rare (And probably impossible.)
My guess is that if Tesla pushes, the Durango site could open by the time snow flies next fall. Contractor availability and city permitting and inspections could really impact the timing, of course. But, as fast as Alamosa seemed to go in, who knows…

Reactions: 85Drew
Durango is unique because it doesn't get as much snow as some of the other areas of CO. I could see them jumping on this in January, honestly.
As it happens, Durango reportedly got more than a foot of snow last night! Of course, you are right that it is usually mild enough there to build a Supercharger Station in winter.

I also got more than a foot of new snow last night here on the north side of the San Juan Mountains:

Snow on bird feeder_20240108ed_085912327.jpg
Time to start shoveling my 375 foot driveway!

As it happens, Durango reportedly got more than a foot of snow last night! Of course, you are right that it is usually mild enough there to build a Supercharger Station in winter.

I also got more than a foot of new snow last night here on the north side of the San Juan Mountains:

View attachment 1007157
Time to start shoveling my 375 foot driveway!
hmm need to figure out a plow attachment to the front of the MY :).

I'm guessing Durango is going to be a "bonus" location whenever Tesla closes the current round of supercharger voting. Durango is currently #6 in North America, usually they add the top 5 locations to the "coming soon" map (the powerful eastern Canada lobby seems to have locked up the top 5 spots). But hey, if they're going to build Durango anyway, Tesla will probably try to double-dip with the supercharger voting!

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Quick note, the 2nd quarter Supercharging voting has begun.
Please do not waste your vote on Durango as it is already in progress, and allow me to suggest instead the following that will improve the Supercharging in the Four Corners area:
1) Kayenta, AZ (currently in 31st place in North America)
2) Pagosa Springs, CO (currently in 85th place in North America)
3) Chama, NM (currently in 110th place for North America)
4) Escalante, UT (currently in 2nd place for North America)
5) For my 5th vote I'm writing-in: 6396 US-550, Cuba, NM 87013. This splits the distance between ABQ and Durango, and is the location of a McDonald's/Circle K gas station.

400 people have already voted on Durango. I'm actually pretty surprised it's on voting, considering they've already started permitting.

100% agree on Kayenta. That and Cortez would make travel around the four corners a ton easier. Cuba is on the NEVI list for NM IIRC...

Quick note, the 2nd quarter Supercharging voting has begun.
Please do not waste your vote on Durango as it is already in progress, and allow me to suggest instead the following that will improve the Supercharging in the Four Corners area:
1) Kayenta, AZ (currently in 31st place in North America)
2) Pagosa Springs, CO (currently in 85th place in North America)
3) Chama, NM (currently in 110th place for North America)
4) Escalante, UT (currently in 2nd place for North America)
5) For my 5th vote I'm writing-in: 6396 US-550, Cuba, NM 87013. This splits the distance between ABQ and Durango, and is the location of a McDonald's/Circle K gas station.

Mostly agree, but have to say I was a bit mystified to see Escalante near the top of the list so far. It's only 47 miles from Bryce Canyon City, where Tesla has already pledged to build a charger (from a previous round of voting). Torrey or Hanksville would be great, but I don't see the argument for building both Bryce and Escalante...

Mostly agree, but have to say I was a bit mystified to see Escalante near the top of the list so far. It's only 47 miles from Bryce Canyon City, where Tesla has already pledged to build a charger (from a previous round of voting). Torrey or Hanksville would be great, but I don't see the argument for building both Bryce and Escalante...
Without knowledge and rational thought, voting is a poor form of decision making. Sadly, this is evident in many contexts, many of which are more impactful than supercharger placement. I'm curious about the people who are informed enough to know that supercharger voting exists and motivated enough to take a few minutes to do it, but who don't seek out a resource like supercharge.info to avoid casting a useless vote.

The Ames site likely went undiscovered for a number of weeks. 17 days of actual construction (and commissioning) duration is extremely rare (And probably impossible.)
My guess is that if Tesla pushes, the Durango site could open by the time snow flies next fall. Contractor availability and city permitting and inspections could really impact the timing, of course. But, as fast as Alamosa seemed to go in, who knows…

According to this article from Dec 9

Tesla closer to coming to Durango after city OKs service contract with electric vehicle manufacturer

If City Council gives final approval of the contract, which is scheduled to be voted on at the Jan. 2 regular meeting, Tesla charging stations would be built and opened by fall 2024.