Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or just use the phone number in your MyTesla profile to send a regular text message. No app needed.

Sure, that would be great, but would require some sort of new software / infrastructure on Tesla's part. Adding the ability to receive notifications to the android app is something Tesla should have done long ago anyway. If they are now becoming more concerned with easing congestion at the Superchargers, that's even more reason to get that functionality into the android app.

OK, I know this has been discussed at great length but we need to figure out a way to explain the charging / selection etiquette better to new owners.

I had a series of long drives over the last few days and pulled into Edison, NJ yesterday with 17 rates miles. I needed to get on the road ASAP for my next stop and was delayed by inexplicable traffic in South Jersey (inexplicable but hardly surprizing). While happily charging away, and as the only car at the location, my rate of charge was fantastic.

Then a guy pulls in right next to me - I was 1a and he took 1b, which effectively cut my rate of charge by 30% or more. I tried to be nice about it and explained the numbering of bays. I could tell his car was new from the temp tags. I then suggested he slide over one spot so we can both maximize our rates of charge. After telling me how much he liked my green, and didn't know they made that color (I explained they don't anymore) he went on to tell me this was his first supercharge visit, and walked away, leaving his car happily ensconced next to me.

I ended up moving my car to get a higher charge rate.

Is there signage or maybe something from Tesla that can come up on the screen as you approach that suggests the optimal way to leverage the superchargers?

As more and more owners come on I see this as a growing problem.

I can deal with the slow and inevitable death of the Tesla Wave and Tesla Chin-Hello, but this charging thing is startig to annoy me.

It would be nice if a location-based app popped up as you approached the Superchargers and it would suggest which chargers you should use to get the fastest charge. If you happen to not use one of the recommended Superchargers, it could give you a friendly reminder indicating it would charge x minutes faster if they moved to another spot. No additional signage would be needed on the Superchargers themselves. It wouldn't even need cell service to work. Each Supercharger could have a wifi hotspot that the car connects to automatically when it approaches (similar to how cars send their information to the service centers as you approach).

Last edited:
I was under the impression that it shouldn't do that. That the first person gets as much charge as he needs, and the 2nd person gets what's left over?

I didn't realize that it reduces the first persons charge at all...

I was under the impression that it shouldn't do that. That the first person gets as much charge as he needs, and the 2nd person gets what's left over?

I didn't realize that it reduces the first persons charge at all...

Ditto this. I thought first in had priority and second would ramp up as first tapered.

Mike, did you clearly see a reduction when he plugged in and then an increase when you moved to the new stall? I assume so but I'm surprised.

Ditto this. I thought first in had priority and second would ramp up as first tapered.

Mike, did you clearly see a reduction when he plugged in and then an increase when you moved to the new stall? I assume so but I'm surprised.

I have never experienced that. Most of the time being on the whats left over side rolling into a full SPC station.

I have found most of the time its a teaching thing. Most owners had no idea about the reduced charge at a paired station and are grateful for the education.

Some of them have called tesla to complain and its hit or miss if the person on the phone knows about the power split between the pairs.

I have never experienced that. Most of the time being on the whats left over side rolling into a full SPC station.

I have found most of the time its a teaching thing. Most owners had no idea about the reduced charge at a paired station and are grateful for the education.

Some of them have called tesla to complain and its hit or miss if the person on the phone knows about the power split between the pairs.

My experience has been that being second on the pair is the issue. I don't think there is a reduction if you are on charge first.

That said, I do try to spread the word that having any number, regardless of the letter A or B, to yourself is best when possible. It doesn't help that Tesla sometimes groups A and B beside each other and sometimes groups all As on one side and all Bs on the other.

Hmmm, I did think there was a reduction, but wouldn't call it a scientific thing. Could easily have been the normal drop off seen as you charge.

The first to hook up on a pair gets ALL their car can handle. The second of the pair gets what is left over. As the first car begins its taper, the second will continue to increase its charge until it also begins its taper. The only way this changes is if someone walks up to car one and pushes the button on the charge handle. This interrupts the charge and the max then goes to car two.

This has been my paranoia for a while; one day I'll get a crazy SpC neighbor who will do this to me.
Nothing to be paranoid about. Just stay with the car for the 20-30 minutes it takes to charge. If you are going to go shop or eat, it will probably not make much difference anyway as you will be gone long enough for their taper to begin and you still get your 80-90% charge.

Nothing to be paranoid about. Just stay with the car for the 20-30 minutes it takes to charge. If you are going to go shop or eat, it will probably not make much difference anyway as you will be gone long enough for their taper to begin and you still get your 80-90% charge.

It has never happened, but it's just a thought in the back of my mind when I come to a relatively packed SpC.

I have 2 young kids; staying with the car isn't an option, they gotta use the restrooms. And being paired sucks, it's a noticeable difference. The only time it affected me, I was in a hurry, and it easily added 30 minutes to my trip.

It has never happened, but it's just a thought in the back of my mind when I come to a relatively packed SpC.

I have 2 young kids; staying with the car isn't an option, they gotta use the restrooms. And being paired sucks, it's a noticeable difference. The only time it affected me, I was in a hurry, and it easily added 30 minutes to my trip.
Ahhh yes...I vaguely remember those days. (Chuckling) But now it is ME and not the kids. Oh well.

I had this happen to me in Decatur, GA.
A Tesla employee there did it and a) claimed to be ignorant as far as pairing and b) could care less, argued and told us to talk to his manager.
Did you? (speak to his manager) I am not sure why an employee would be out at the chargers, but the fix would be quick and easy. Just do the same to vehicle #2. BOOM! Back to full charge. We tend to assume that Tesla employees know everything about our cars...they do not. But educating them (and the public) is a worthwhile endeavor.

I had this happen to me in Decatur, GA.
A Tesla employee there did it and a) claimed to be ignorant as far as pairing and b) could care less, argued and told us to talk to his manager.

Did you? (speak to his manager) I am not sure why an employee would be out at the chargers, but the fix would be quick and easy. Just do the same to vehicle #2. BOOM! Back to full charge. We tend to assume that Tesla employees know everything about our cars...they do not. But educating them (and the public) is a worthwhile endeavor.

Not only would I call his manager, I'd call the 800 Tesla support line and report him instantly for touching the SpC cable plugged into my car.

Don't think my post was clear.

Employee did NOT push "my button". Didn't know till just now you even could.

Two of us reported him and the car (that was in service) was quickly relocated to their bank of HPWC's at the back of the building.

As for his attitude, well, dunno what happened about that.

I also bumped into a Tesla employee in Florida ... who pulled in to Lake City or Tifton or ... ? And used my pairing. I thought me was an owner, til he showed me his badge. He was busy repairing stuff at the SC yet didn't know about pairing. He seemed to be in charge of repairs to all Florida stations. Nice guy.

My experience has been that being second on the pair is the issue. I don't think there is a reduction if you are on charge first.

That said, I do try to spread the word that having any number, regardless of the letter A or B, to yourself is best when possible. It doesn't help that Tesla sometimes groups A and B beside each other and sometimes groups all As on one side and all Bs on the other.

They do this because of the parking restrictions at some SCs. If there are four tesla spots, and four general parking spots, the splits will be between them. For example, 1A is a tesla spot, and 1B is a general spot. This way all of the tesla spots have their own cabinets.

This makes sense if people use the tesla spots first and overflow to the general. Personally, I use a general spot first to save the tesla spots for others in case parking becomes tight.