Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger etiquette?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had many discussions about this here. I think we all agree it makes sense to only use the Supercharger as much as you really need and then move your car.

On long trips you are actually wasting time at a Supercharger when you charge more than needed. Use the car's trip meter and give yourself a 15-20% buffer (depending on weather) and then get on the road again. The longer you charge at a Supercharger, the slower the rate and the less you get out of your time sitting there.
Here is a discussion explaining it How to save a lot of time on long trips

Frankly, on all long road trips I had zero problem with busy Superchargers. I was always able to find a spot right away and there was no line. The only lines I experienced were in some of the busy California stations that got a ton of traffic. I avoid all local Superchargers as much as I can. Just not worth my time. Only when I have very busy days and drive a lot I might.

Thanks, David99 - Interesting observation and good advice in your link. It's counterintuitive until you take into account the roll-off in charge rate as the battery fills. Also goes against long-learned habits for ICE vehicles, where you fill the tank ...unless the gas price is outrageous. So, planning a road trip takes some strategic thinking especially due to the nonlinear relation between time and charge.

I think in the beginning all new EV owners follow their habit. What we have learned our entire life about how and when to fill up our cars is stuck in us. Once you have your EV for a while you see that it makes no sense for EVs and you automatically go to home charging at night. Especially with a Tesla you really don't have to worry about range for all daily driving.
The first few months people also find it cool to go to Superchargers and maybe even chat with other owners. I remember driving to one newly opened Supercharger that was in my area just to check it out. Now I avoid that location as much as I can. LOL

What's gonna happen when 10's of thousands of M & X 's roll out and on the road, plus 100's of thousands of model 3's in ~3 years?
The majority of Model S/X use has been charging at home. Long distance road trip delays have NOT been an problem for most drivers since a large number of EV drivers seldom drive cross country at the same time. Holidays and weekends will be the exception first, as they already have been on occasion.

If there are unacceptable cross country delays in the future, one plan is to rent the best plug-in hybrid or ICE vehicle available and travel long distances in that car as the need arises. Better yet, why not fly to the destination?

As the years progress, a higher EV range of perhaps 500 miles will allow extensive travel without a Supercharger stop every two hours. That will help with flexibility to use more overnight charge locations instead of Superchargers.

Last edited:
Has anyone else thought about how impossible it will be to use a supercharger after the M3's start selling.
This is the concern that we have, but rocky-h might do another *facepalm* and I don't want his face to get red.
I know that they are building more SC's - we get it. The concern would be long trips on popular arteries, i.e. LA to SF or LV etc.
I see occasional long lines and frustration, and on those instances etiquette might rarely exist.

The model 3 shouldn't spend as much time at the charger as a model S. Based on watts/ mile and battery pack size. Though that is speculative at this point.

People are just going to have to start using the superchargers for long distance travel as intended.

*facepalm* Jeez, do you think Tesla is going to stop now and not build ANY MORE Superchargers in the next three years?

I am reminded of what someone said a while ago (I think it was you, in fact). To paraphrase, there are folks that use the supercharger network and those that do not. The latter group worries a lot, the former group, not so much.

Just got back from my first road trip - Northern NJ to Richmond, VA and back. Superchargers were fantastic. Charged at Newark, DE & Woodbridge, VA both ways and destination charged at Westin Richmond. No problems whatsoever, even at Newark with only 4 chargers. Trip Planner worked great and charging stops were short, averaging around 20 minutes (started each way with a 100% range charge). BTW Newark, DE is expanding - 12 new chargers ready to go in (crates are on site). Workers weren't sure whether there would be a total of 16 or they will tear out the original 4. The 4 current chargers are directly in front of the entrance to the concessions so I understand iceing has been a problem- but not the 2 times I was just there. The new chargers are further away from the building so should be safer. I used autopilot at least 60-70% if the trip and it was the most relaxing road trip I've ever had. The MX seats are super comfortable. My only complaints are somewhat excessive wind noise (SC is going to look at window seals tomorrow) and tire noise from the Michelin summer tires the car came with. I'm going to see if TM will swap them for the Continental All-Seasons that I understand are much quieter. Absolutely loving the car.

The model 3 shouldn't spend as much time at the charger as a model S. Based on watts/ mile and battery pack size. Though that is speculative at this point.

People are just going to have to start using the superchargers for long distance travel as intended.
In terms of pack size, wouldn't the M3 spend more time at the charger than a Model S? Smaller total size means it has to get to a higher percentage to achieve a given kWh capacity.

Agian this is speculative.

The Model S 70D gets better efficiency then the 90D

The largest reason for this is because the motors are different and the 90D has larger rotating parts with more inertia to overcome. As well the windings in the motor are different.

The Model 3 will have a couple things going for it. It should be lighter if smaller . Possible smaller wheels (17-19" range) and rumored to have a better drag coefficient. All these things together should add up to better efficiency at highway speeds.

The battery parts are expected to be lower in KWh capacity (although this is not definite).

So for a Model S and 3 to cover the same distance, theoretically the Model 3 will use less watts. Which also means Less watts needed to replace in the Battery.

The one variable that's constant is the 120Kwh supercharger. The supercharger can provide a higher charge rate per unit of time to the Model 3 then the S.

This is dependent on the Model 3 batteries being able to accommodate a faster charge. Which would depend on cooling and Chemistry. Booth of which Tesla has been working on since the Gen 2 platform was designed years ago.

Watt per watt there is potential that a Model 3 spends less time per mile required at a supercharger then it's big brother.

I will add that the Model X is a perfect example. All things Equal, the Model X spends more time at a supercharger then a Model S to cover the same 100 miles. Because more watts are required to move the Model X at the same speed over the same distance.

I agree that super charger networks will continue to grow, but a Tesla doesn't charge as fast as a car fills up at a gas station unless you are over half charged. What happens when you go on a long trip and every station is loaded with Model 3's that will most likely take anywhere from 20 minutes to over an hour to charge up? I think that when Tesla's are lined up to charge a time limit should be set for anyone that doesn't need to go far. I have no issue leaving a supercharger if I am past what I need to get home where I can charge over night.

but a Tesla doesn't charge as fast as a car fills up at a gas station unless you are over half charged

Actually, it's the other way around -- charging from zero to ~60% is dramatically faster than charging from 60% to 100 (or 90%) because those last electrons are shoved in at constant voltage but tapering current, while the first 60-70% is all at a constant maximum current and voltage.

Reactions: TJunkers
Charged outside of DC last Sat. (2/20/16 Bethesda,MD-Montgomery Mall around 8:45PM). They have one 80 amp, one 40 amp and 2 superchargers. Both superchargers were occupied but only one was actually charging. I happened to connect to the 40 amp (at the time I didn't know they were different). While waiting a gentleman from Canada arrived about the same time the man came who was actually using the supercharger. I ask the Canadian if he minded if I used the supercharger and he told me to go ahead. We chatted a while and when my wife and her sister came I explained we had enough to get to the next charger in Newark DE. They agreed we should leave even though it meant charging again about 26 miles away form our home in PA. I wish the other guy parked at the supercharger was checking his app. it probably added about 40 mins. to our one day round trip to DC. But it worked out and I got to meet a Tesla owner from another country.:)

Bethesda is a nightmare - avoid it at all costs. A couple of weeks ago we stopped there on the way from NJ to Richmond and both SC's were occupied. Since it's a shopping mall the cars could be there for hours. I stopped in the Tesla store in the mall and he said nobody depends on that location and we should go on to Woodbridge. We did and 6 of the 8 SC's there were available. There is a new SC, near Bethesda that is permitted but not being built yet that should offer a good alternative.

BTW, we stopped at Newark, DE on the same trip and they are adding 12 more SC's to the 4 they already have there. Should be open in the next few weeks