Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Eureka, CA (LIVE, 8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a lot new to report, but the contents of some of the boxes are now revealed. Here are a few pics from today. It is still a long way from completed.
DSC_6210.jpg
DSC_6211.jpg
DSC_6212.jpg
DSC_6213.jpg

Thanks for the photos, JimVandegriff! They show the distribution center and supercharger cabinets in place with the posts installed for their enclosure, the charging pedestal structures in place with the conduit prepared for pulling their supply cables, and I think I may be seeing the concrete pad for the transformer at the far left edge of the middle photo. Hopefully there won't be a long interval before the electric utility places its transformer....that's often a rate-limiting step in this process.

Here are more photos from today. Work is progressing. Some small equipment was being used to start the landscaping process, and the chargers themselves can be seen in their wrapped forms. Workers were busy with the electrical equipment and the landscaping. It doesn't look particularly travel trailer friendly, but I think the two end superchargers have enough room to pull into to charge using only two charging stations.
DSC_6224.jpg
DSC_6225.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
'the 2 end chargers have enough room', are you referring to charging with a trailer attached?

OT, I keep seeing 'new' S' around here that I have not seen in the past, travelers or locals, not sure. Mostly smiley people that wave :>
Yep, I'm thinking in trailer mode these days. We are picking up our Airstream next week so I'm deep in contemplation of supercharging stations that have enough room to charge without unhooking the trailer. It is possible that pulling into the northern most or southern most slots from the side with a trailer on would not inconvenience other Tesla owners unduly depending on time and circumstance of course. If I can get quick enough at detaching the trailer in the Bayshore Mall parking lot, then that is all a moot point, but I am thinking about it.
By the way, the Redwood Coast Energy Authority tracked our interactions with people at the 4th of July celebration in Old Town, and said we spoke to over 1400 people while demonstrating the X. Smiley but tired after that!

Reactions: ProphetM and e-FTW
Yep, I'm thinking in trailer mode these days. We are picking up our Airstream next week so I'm deep in contemplation of supercharging stations that have enough room to charge without unhooking the trailer. It is possible that pulling into the northern most or southern most slots from the side with a trailer on would not inconvenience other Tesla owners unduly depending on time and circumstance of course.
I assume you saw this: Range and Charging While Towing a Trailer - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test
Shows you what it was like at most standard SCs.

Reactions: Bet TSLA
Here are more photos from today. Work is progressing. Some small equipment was being used to start the landscaping process, and the chargers themselves can be seen in their wrapped forms. Workers were busy with the electrical equipment and the landscaping. It doesn't look particularly travel trailer friendly, but I think the two end superchargers have enough room to pull into to charge using only two charging stations.
View attachment 185369 View attachment 185370

I realize it has only been 5 days since you posted your photos, but I was wondering if you have been by to see how the progress is going? I guess I am a bit excited about this supercharger!!

I realize it has only been 5 days since you posted your photos, but I was wondering if you have been by to see how the progress is going? I guess I am a bit excited about this supercharger!!
Me too on the excitement. I drove by yesterday, and it looks like the landscaping still needs doing, and probably striping the parking slots needs to occur if they are skipping re-paving. I don't have a clear idea about how long this kind of stuff takes, but Zextraterrestrial might, given his work. Soon!

Some badish news. I was hoping for excellent news when I saw the big PG&E truck parked there. They were doing some work probably in the box where the transformer will be but they will not be hooking up the power or whatever until August 4th!
& let may say I hate micro SD cards and corruption. I though I had some good pics to pull off my dash cam when I just drove by and spoke with the Foreman during my lunch.
so I think that is the (un?)official date we will see the SC lit up

Here in Fresno, this is what happened between PG&E and Tesla. The date PG&E installed the transformer, there was no Tesla presence. The transformer crew told me that once they were done and had completed their testing, they notify metering. They said that metering will then come out and install the meter--whenever. If I remember correctly, the transformer crew was out on a Thursday and the meter was hooked up the following Monday. There might have been one more final inspection by the city before Tesla showed up a few days later.

When Tesla showed up the Supercharger technician did the final hookup and testing inside the cabinets, then went to each stall to do more diagnostic testing, including charging his Model S at each one. He then notifies Supercharger Central Control via computer and they give the go ahead and formally open the location to the public.

So, for us here in town, it was about one week from transformer installation to live.

I don't want to burst your bubble, and what happened here may not necessarily happen in Eureka. But you might have a few more days' wait after the transformer is installed.

• Informative
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Thanks fer the info.

So much for the first half of August, it appears. Although the AV ChaDeMo network is solid at least along the Oregon Coast.

Fortunately, Labor Day weekend was pretty nice last year from Astoria to Brookings. If starting to get a tad brisk in the mornings already, by Southern California standards. Then again, it was 37F in the mornings last month at West Yellowstone. It was rough; I had to wear pants.

Ergo, I have prepared.

We're on our big summer road trip... We're meeting family in Cannon Beach OR tomorrow, and we spent last night at the Days Inn in Arcata since they are pet friendly and have a charger. Overnight charging combined with the AV network in Oregon (we did 2 CHAdeMO stops today) made the trip doable. The 2 hotels we're staying at in OR have HPWCs...

Had the Eureka Supercharger been open, we likely would have stayed south of Eureka last night instead pushing (with a bit of hypermiling-- we have a 60) to Arcata...