Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Expense

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally, the idea that the price of gas will only go up is pure nonsense, as gas prices fluctuate up and down
It is not nonsense. That fluctuating you're talking about is short term, but the price of everything generally increases over the long term. That's called "inflation". This $2.50 per gallon pricing is the same as it was 20 years ago; that's not normal. Regular inflation would have the price double in about 24 years at 3% inflation. At 20 years we're still at the same level. That is being artificially low for some reason.

It is not nonsense. That fluctuating you're talking about is short term, but the price of everything generally increases over the long term. That's called "inflation". This $2.50 per gallon pricing is the same as it was 20 years ago; that's not normal. Regular inflation would have the price double in about 24 years at 3% inflation. At 20 years we're still at the same level. That is being artificially low for some reason.

It's called innovation, efficiency and market forces....20 years ago we didn't have the massive oil and gas production in the US that we have now. It's the same reason lots of other things, like computer memory devices, have dropped on a per GB basis over the past 20 years.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Also, the Tesla cost estimating system is reasonably conservative by using regular rather than premium gas prices and assuming reasonably good mileage. A more reasonable comparison would be for a car equivalent to a Model 3. For example, a Prius is a poor comparison as it is not comparable to a Tesla in any way. A BMW 3 series is a more reasonable comparison and depending on the Model 3, the comparison might need to be with an M3. All of these cars require premium fuel and get worse mileage in the real world than Tesla assumes in its comparisons.

Bottom line, Supercharging is quite expensive ($0.28 per kWh in places where the home electric rates are $0.08 to $0.10), but there is still some savings versus a reasonably comparable ICE car.

My BMW 530e is actually the better comparison. It's a plug in hybrid that gets well over 40 MPG and has very good performance. There's a lot more to a comparison than a 0-60 time in this segment...truth is that I don't miss my P85D's acceleration as the 530e is more than adequate and unless you're on a race track you're just not going to be pushing envelopes. What matters for everyday use are things like comfort, range, handling, etc., and for those things the 530e meets and exceeds the Model 3.

• Disagree
Reactions: BarryL and brkaus
My BMW 530e is actually the better comparison. It's a plug in hybrid that gets well over 40 MPG and has very good performance. There's a lot more to a comparison than a 0-60 time in this segment...truth is that I don't miss my P85D's acceleration as the 530e is more than adequate and unless you're on a race track you're just not going to be pushing envelopes. What matters for everyday use are things like comfort, range, handling, etc., and for those things the 530e meets and exceeds the Model 3.

I'm here because I'm a Tesla fanboy but have many negative things to say about Tesla too. However, I don't think any other cars on the market can beat a Model 3 in comfort for daily commute. AP is not there at 100% autonomous but if I put my car in the middle lane I can probably fall asleep for 2 hours on the way to work or home. It's that good now. I just don't trust it changing lanes but since v9 EAP it has been wonderful.

Things it's doing now is incredible. I have to dig into my dashcam footage, but the other day my car didn't move in stop and go traffic so I checked to see if it automatically put the car on hold. It didn't. What it was during was letting the car next to me in because he had his blinkers on. This car wasn't even close into my lane or even turned his wheels. AP knew he wanted to get in so it didn't move forward.

I really hope by the end of this year my car gets FSD so I can actually take a nap.

Super charger has always been cheaper then gas for me in the area I go to. Then again; I use to derive a HEMI v8 5.7 liter that cost 75.00 for fillip that goes around 300 miles. 14.00 for super charger for 300 miles is quite a saving for this former ICE.

I replaced a 1999 honda accord dx that still got 30 mpg highway and about 24 city. In my typical use over a month with regular gas it averaged about $ .15 /mi in fuel, mostly city miles. My mr model 3 is running about $.02 /mi in electricity wall to wheel with home charging. Even at supercharger rates of 3x as much as home charging it would still be ~ 50% cheaper to run.

Projected out over a year with 12,000 miles driven thats $1800 in regular gas at local prices ($3.65), vs $939 at local supercharger pricing of $.27/kwh, and $375 at home charging with $.09/kwh and ~80% efficiency.

Obviously lots of local variables, but for me all cheaper than a pretty inexpensive ICE car to run as such things go.

Things change all the time for the delta between gas and electric prices.

In California Electricity got more expensive for a while because of the political and environmental pressures to go away from coal, natural gas, hydroelectric and nuclear. When they regulated more renewable power, it came at a higher price. When the price of Natural Gas dropped due to oversupply, the electric bills went down as well.

Then the gas tax was increased to pay for a high speed train in our desert to link cities. Now it is over $4.00/gallon.

With each new policy change the energy costs can go up or down. For now a Tesla running on Solar is the best deal, but even at Superchargers or at home the costs are much less than for gas.

Every state has their own policies, and most of the time an EV will cost much less to overall operate than a gasser.

As in most things, there will always be edge cases where a gasser may be cheaper to operate, but for the most part that is an anomaly.

In California buyers of EVs get $2,500 back from the state in a check, as well as many utilities rebate $550-$1,000 to their customers for going EV. Can also get $500 back for installing a EV plug in your garage.

Some get free Supercharging for life, some get 5,000 miles worth for free, or for a year. Seems like the Tesla free electricity changes as fast as the prices at the pump.

As I said, it gets complicated.

Everybody needs to be smart about it and source out the least expensive place to charge up. We have a local park near here that provides 30 minutes of free charging. You can un plug and get another 30 minutes on and on. Some can charge at work. some will eat at a place or stay at a motel which offeres free destination charging. The most expensive charging option around here is using the 3rd party independant chargers. They cost much more than charging at home or any Supercharger.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
My long distance data point -
Total distance: 5,152 miles
Total charging costs: $292.24

Mix of charging by minute and kWh. This was cheaper than what Tesla’s website thinks it would’ve cost me.

One thing I learned is your Tesla account History page doesn’t include taxes, you need to open up the individual charging session to see the full cost.

I’m new, ordered on 5/5, so I’m waiting on that. I have a ‘13 Volt so I’m not new to charging. Questions: I did get the referral so “5K miles will be free”, is this really miles, not cost dependent?
I’m in AZ but planning a trip to CA and the supercharger cost in CA are more. So for the free miles period I would not care which charger I fill up with, but when my free miles are gone I’ll want to fill up while in AZ before crossing the border?

I’m new, ordered on 5/5, so I’m waiting on that. I have a ‘13 Volt so I’m not new to charging. Questions: I did get the referral so “5K miles will be free”, is this really miles, not cost dependent?
I’m in AZ but planning a trip to CA and the supercharger cost in CA are more. So for the free miles period I would not care which charger I fill up with, but when my free miles are gone I’ll want to fill up while in AZ before crossing the border?
As far as I know, they're only dollars, which should be good for about 5000 miles/7500 kms. However, keep in mind that the BIG catch is that you only have 6 months to use the miles UNLESS you get another referral in that time, which resets the timer. The chance of you using the miles in 6 months is probably fairly low.

The price differential between Arizona and California is nil, or next to nil. Your time and leisure on your trip is much more valuable than trying to squeeze a nickel. Don't sweat the small stuff.

This is not like buying gas at Exit 9 on Interstate 40 at the Pilot station for $2.45/gallon when gasoline across the Colorado River in Needles is $4.15.

... Don't sweat the small stuff.

This is not like buying gas at Exit 9 on Interstate 40 at the Pilot station for $2.45/gallon when gasoline across the Colorado River in Needles is $4.15.
Thanks, good to know.

...The chance of you using the miles in 6 months is probably fairly low.
This is also something I did not know, figured they would expire in a year.
Well I am lucky enough to have one within 2 miles of my work, so I’ll use some up there if it looks like I’ll be wasting them otherwise.
Thanks!

Ouch, $0.13 on average here in MD after all the taxes and fees. I figured DC would be a little bit cheaper. At those electricity prices, would solar be a good investment? We've looked into it a couple of times, but the payback time is still like 10-15 years.
.08 in Texas. We can buy wholesale...there is risk of fluctuations during summer but not usually in the middle of the night. It’s been as low as .04

I've only charged at a Supercharger twice - both times at the Hagerstown Maryland Supercharger. On both occasions, I paid about $9 for about 200 miles added. Rough figuring (quite rough, but accurate enough for this comparison) results in the charge being an approximate 50% increase over my home charging cost, at $0.12/kwh. $3 per gallon is a good number to use in this area, although I've bought gas exactly 3 times so far in 2019, so the ICE equivalent would require 67 mpg at that price. Now I know that not all Supercharges carry the same rates, nor does all residential electrical supply.....this just illustrates my own case.

you would NEVER make your money back with solar. You can consider it an investment into the earth's future, but not for your bank account.

Umm what? Lol.
Did you confuse “solar” with EV gas savings?
100% you would not make up the difference in gas savings by driving an EV. But, a PV system only takes about 5-12 years depending on local rates, eligibility for tax credits, etc. We’re only a few years into our PV system and already half way to breaking even. But then again, I don’t live in TX where night time electricity is practically free.

MA electricity rates suck! Luckily I get free charging at work, such a nice perk! I'm part of a community shared solar project so I purchase the bulk of my electricity at about half the going rate. The downside is if I drastically increase my usage, anything above my share of the solar farm output I would be buying at national grid rates. I pay a flat $130 a month to the solar farm and typically get a bill credit of $200-300. Short of buying your own PV system it's probably the next best thing.

I recently had someone come by the house promoting Solar Farms MA (but I did not answer the door although they did speak with my parents when they visited their house). Just curious as to which community shared solar you are a part of. Is it just local or is it available to anyone in MA.? Solar Farms MA offers 5% savings which I don't feel like is worth doing.