TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Fontana, CA (LIVE 29 Mar 2019, 24 Urban type)

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by williamd314, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Kanting

Kanting Member

When Kayenta is completed, I will plan another road trip there to celebrate! Someone said 2022? No problem, just another 3 years!

2. marcoooo12

marcoooo12 Member

Drove by today . Looks like construction has resumed. Their is an area fenced off leading to transformer behind target

• Like x 8
    • Informative x 3
  3. williamd314

williamd314 Member

I stopped by yesterday to check out the construction for myself. The fenced off area near Target also has signage by "EVI" so looks like Steve was on target (pun intended) with his comments. No construction seems to have started, but the green fences are up.

I'm assuming they'll start tearing up the lot up to the exit point for the target "behind the store" area (more like next to the store). From the looks of it, the trench for the power will be dug in the CVS parking lot near the drive thru, and up to the spot where the transformer will go. Nothing more than my speculation to go off, but I'm guessing once the ball starts rolling, the digging will go quickly; no stores want to be out parking spaces due to construction.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. Obsoletion

Obsoletion Member

Normally we wouldn't dig up the parking lot to install conduit for an application like this. We would just bore it under the parking lot.

5. SilverSp33d3r

SilverSp33d3r Member

Some areas require high voltage to have conduit/ concrete encasement. Also the soil in Fontana is not very conducive to directional boring.

• Like x 1
  6. williamd314

williamd314 Member

Drove by today, lots of progress for running the power to the chargers. Photos attached.

IMG_20190128_144645.jpg IMG_20190128_144658.jpg IMG_20190128_144711.jpg
    IMG_20190128_144714.jpg

• Like x 7
  7. jefflawless

jefflawless Member

Nice, hoping the weather does not delay too much. Good progress on the site.

8. HelloJohnny

HelloJohnny Member

• Like x 1
  9. williamd314

williamd314 Member

Another update: the asphalt guys were out there all day, closing up the trenches and finishing the parking lot. I'm guessing that means the trench work is completed, and now the ball is back in SCE's court. Yay progress!

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. SilverSp33d3r

SilverSp33d3r Member

Can’t wait for this to open...Rancho is getting ridiculous with model 3 invasion.
    Did you happen to see the transformer pad?

11. Bueno

Bueno Member

Fingers crossed SCE can finish up their end before I return to CA (feb23). We all have been waiting to use the new station and hopefully its up and running soon.

12. williamd314

williamd314 Member

I don't see any other hardware, but there's a crane with a concrete slab. I think they're prepping to place this slab for wjatever electrical equipment they still need to deliver? Anyway, photo taken within the last hour.

IMG_20190212_143448.jpg IMG_20190212_143505.jpg

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  13. TerranApart

TerranApart Member

The concrete slab looks a lot like a pre-cast segment of an electrical vault.

• Like x 1
  14. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

That looks like a slab box for a transformer.

• Like x 2
  15. tbleakne

tbleakne Member

Yes prefabricated slab looks ready for the Transformer. Fencing is down. When I 15 North is congested at some of the Avenue which is very common an alternate route is to exit the 210 at Cherry and take Cherry to Summit. It worked great today

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  16. jefflawless

jefflawless Member

Hopefully the rain will stay away long enough to get a transformer and finish the work behind Target. Anyone know how long that work will take?

17. jefflawless

jefflawless Member

Anyone driven by lately or know of any progress? Been traveling a lot and have not had a chance to go by yet.

18. Choochoosparky

Went by the other day just curious as to location and status, everything looked up and done. Construction equipment was gone, all chargers were up. Only thing was that all chargers had a black trash bag wrapped around them so couldn't be used yet. Just waiting for approval to activate? Think I counted about 24 or so and they looked like they were going to be urban style chargers.

19. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Based on posts just upthread, there is no transformer on site yet. Without a transformer, site has no power. Electric utility is responsible for installing the transformer. It is likely that Tesla has completed everything it is responsible for.

20. williamd314

williamd314 Member

They re-wrapped the chargers with black garbage bags after all the wind events a few weeks ago shredded the bags before.

I drive by the site almost every day, so I look over to see if a transformer is placed yet. So far, no transformer, but EVI has finished all their construction work on the ground and behind Target (or at least they've finished their part). Still just waiting for SCE, I think.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2