TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Fontana, CA (LIVE 29 Mar 2019, 24 Urban type)

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by williamd314, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Bueno

Bueno Member

Update: Sunday 10/7 lines are painted

Attached Files:

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  2. K3Man

K3Man Member

In the new Tesla maps today (8 Oct, 2018) ....

"Target opening by end of 2018"

I think that's a change... "by the end of 2018."

• Like x 2
  3. WalterB

WalterB Member

you're right, just came to post this

4. Need

Need Active Member

What was it before? "by 2019"?

5. williamd314

williamd314 Member

I believe it said "Summer 2018"

• Like x 2
  6. tbleakne

tbleakne Member

Absolutely no progress visible. The wind is blowing off the covers on some of the stalls.

• Informative x 2
    • Funny x 1
  7. HelloJohnny

HelloJohnny Member

@tbleakne Thanks for the update! It looking more like a "Winter 2019" release most likely

8. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

Kinda sad Tesla and utility companies can't sink up completion a little better. In the end, even Ft Stockton kicked butt on construction and activation. So much pent-up demand and days of frustration waiting. Ya, thanks @tbleakne for stopping by this morning. I was heading up the hill tomorrow morning and was going to stop by and check for progress. Maybe Edison will install the transformer today.....:):) NOT. Thanks for saving me the detour.

9. TerranApart

TerranApart Member

This is a silly wild guess, and maybe way off the mark, but SCE is building a new substation a few miles east along Sierra Ave.
    Falcon | Projects in Progress | Reliability | About Us | Home - SCE
    Perhaps there's a slight possibility they are waiting for the additional capacity to come online.

Or perhaps they ran out of 2MVA transformer stock and are waiting for production of a new one...:rolleyes:

Of course it could be something completely out in left field.

It's fun to speculate, but hopefully this charger does in fact come online before the end of the year.

10. K3Man

K3Man Member

Hey @ecarfan , can you fix the thread title to reflect that there are 24 not 23 pedestals?

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yep. Done.

• Helpful x 1
  12. tbleakne

tbleakne Member

Thanks TerranApart for your link to SCE's announcement about building a new substation a few miles east from the Falcon Ridge shopping center. They say they are building it because growth in the area has led to a local shortage of electrical capacity and delivery. This may well explain the extended delay for the energizing of the Fontana SC. The project status is "Under Construction." Unfortunately project completion of the substation is targeted for First Quarter 2019. They give a contact number for the project, 866-977-3487. I left a voice mail message at this number, asking whether this is impacting our SC. If I hear back, I will post.

• Like x 1
  13. tbleakne

tbleakne Member

I got a nice call back from a SCE person associated with the new substation project. He was skeptical that the SC project would be held over until the new substation comes on line. Lets hope he is right, because none of us want to wait until first quarter 2019 for SC activation.

• Informative x 1
  14. ggarcia

ggarcia New Member

Here’s some pictures from Friday October 26th.

Attached Files:

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  15. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

As I approached the site early this afternoon, I could see two very big SCE trucks at the SC lot in the distance. What? As I got closer, I noticed both trucks were parked at the end of the SC lot and not at the business end, where the transformer will be installed. I parked in front of the truck, which had two guys in it. As I approached the truck driver's door, I noticed both SCE guys were chowing down on Del Taco. I introduced myself and asked if they were involved with transformer installation. They knew nothing about it and only dropped by to eat :( The older guy knew about a new substation going in but indicated it was west and not east as previously reported. In either case, the wait game continues......

• Funny x 1
  16. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Yeah I drove by a little after sunset Friday and it looked just like the last pics that were posted here. Still no transformers.

17. Need

Need Active Member

What do the transformers look like? Do they go in front of the big grey unit or near the 10 white units? I don't really ever look at anything else at the supercharger other than the connector unit LOL.

18. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Transformers look like a big green metal box. There are currently 2 holes at the Fontana location that are covered with plywood or something that says NO STEP on it. This is where the transformer(s) will go. Most sites just have 1 transformer, but this site has a lot of stalls and I noticed 2 holes, so maybe it will get 2 transformers, or the 2nd hole could be for something else, I'm not really sure.

• Informative x 1
  19. Highdesertrace

Thank you-excellent research!

20. jefflawless

jefflawless Member

Drove by today and we have a big green box just like the posted pictures.

Most of the bags are off and looks like one of the charger covers was blown off too.

Hope this site gets going by the end of the month.

• Like x 3