Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fremont, CA - Tesla Factory (LIVE, 4 V2 + 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was unexpected and great news! I wonder how many folks will stop by to fill up before going home on their daily commute. Open 24hrs too!

Fremont | Tesla Motors

FREMONT

45500 Fremont Blvd, Fremont, CA 94538
24 hrs/day
Charging Stalls – 4

DIRECTIONS

From Fremont Blvd

• Right onto Industrial Dr
  • Immediate right on Kato Rd
  • Follow Kato Rd to Main Gate
  • Turn left into gate
  • Superchargers are located next to Customer Deliver Center, between it and the main lobby
« Back to Supercharging

WHAT'S NEARBY

Restrooms

Tesla Factory

Wifi

Tesla guest network (need password)
Marriott Hotel across 880

Amenities

Shopping
Tesla Factory Store (Customer Delivery Center)

Who are ribbon cutters in the video? Who is doing the announcement? Are these 90 or 120 kW Superchargers?

Announcement was made by JB Straubel, cutters I believe were Fremont council members. I'm fairly sure these are 120 kW, but unlike other Superchargers, these didn't have a 90 or 120 KW label on them. I didn't see the related power boxes as they were not nearby.

Found a reason to take the family to Fremont and check out the new SC.

I never did better than 70 kW and there were no markings that I could see indicating that these were 120 kW chargers.

By the time I left, the bays were full and there appeared to be a couple more cars waiting. The fans for the supercharger banks were humming away noisily in the near-100-degree heat today in Fremont.

While there, met a couple of nice fellow owners and we were standing around chatting in the lobby area. Some beverages there were on the house. Not much else to do though except for peeking in to see new owners taking delivery (ah, it's almost exactly 7 months since I was there picking up my car!)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376872605.225330.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376872616.656907.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376872627.388945.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376872637.121797.jpg

gg, I have noticed 60 kWh batteries are charged at a lower rate than 85 kWh batteries. Not that Tesla has said anything about this.

Interesting. In a way, I guess a near-empty 60 supercharging is equivalent to an 85 supercharging from about 55 miles; not sure if the numbers come close that way.

There could definitely be a difference in how much of a charge rate the 60 can handle.

gg, I have noticed 60 kWh batteries are charged at a lower rate than 85 kWh batteries. Not that Tesla has said anything about this.

Actually, they have. This is from the Tesla Motors Supercharger web page:

SC Charging.png

Notice that the rate of charge is indicated as a percent of the capacity of the battery. 85kWh batteries will charge at a higher kW or mph rate than 60kWh batteries, but both charge at the same %/minute rate. I believe that the 120kW Superchargers and latest SW are charging each size battery at very near the maximum rate that the batteries can accept without degradation.

Actually, they have. This is from the Tesla Motors Supercharger web page:

View attachment 28601

Notice that the rate of charge is indicated as a percent of the capacity of the battery. 85kWh batteries will charge at a higher kW or mph rate than 60kWh batteries, but both charge at the same %/minute rate. I believe that the 120kW Superchargers and latest SW are charging each size battery at very near the maximum rate that the batteries can accept without degradation.

This simplified marketing chart says we should expect to get to 80% in 40 minutes with very little tapering (so approximately at maximum charge rate for the first 40 minutes).
For a 60 kWh pack that works out to .8 * 60 = 48 kWh in 40 minutes, or stated another way, 72 kW charging for 40 minutes.
For a 85 kWh pack that works out to .8 * 85 = 68 kWh in 40 minutes, or stated another way, 102 kW charging for 40 minutes.

This simplified marketing chart says we should expect to get to 80% in 40 minutes with very little tapering (so approximately at maximum charge rate for the first 40 minutes).
For a 60 kWh pack that works out to .8 * 60 = 48 kWh in 40 minutes, or stated another way, 72 kW charging for 40 minutes.
For a 85 kWh pack that works out to .8 * 85 = 68 kWh in 40 minutes, or stated another way, 102 kW charging for 40 minutes.

The two recent examples were 69 and 70 kW at a low state of charge for a 60 kWh MS. Those are pretty close to your calculations. However, there is some slight taper at 80% in the marketing curve, so I would have expected to see a little more than 70 kW, maybe 75 kW for the low state of charge case. That's still pretty close!