Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fresno, CA (6709 N Riverside, LIVE 10 Jan 2016, 10 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whoever designed the Fresno supercharger obviously hasn't spent much time here. They need to be covered. Those charging cables are hot to the touch before they even start delivering a charge just from sitting in direct 105+ degree sun all day.
The same could be said about 100+ superchargers in the southwest. I don't think it's that they aren't aware of the issue, but rather that it is only an issue for 1/4 of the superchargers during 1/4 of the year for 1/4 of the day. It should be noted that there is a simple solution: using a rag, shirt or even napkins or paper towels to handle the charge cable. I mean in a perfect world this wouldn't happen, but if the choice is between constructing more superchargers and constructing canopies over existing superchargers, I'd prefer they focus on the former not the latter. Maybe by next summer or the summer after, superchargers will be so ubiquitous that they can go back and focus on improving the facilities with niceties such as canopies.

Reactions: Ulmo and ecarfan
Liquid cooled cables have their own issues, coolant loops, pumps, heat exchangers add significantly to maintenance and complexity and failure. Something as simple as a white jacket on the cable as well as sun shielding while docked on the charger station. would go along ways to reduce heat load.

I wonder how well Porsche will handle heat on there supposed 350KW charging system

Today it was only 72F when I pulled into stall 4A here, and I got a nice 116kW starting at 31% SOC. Finished up at 91% and pulling in 46kW. About 5 other cars here and people seemed to know how to avoid pairing issues. That’s how it’s supposed to work!

In between I got lunch from Pieology, my first time eating there. Good pizza and I liked being able to customize / fine tune ingredients. Also it wasn’t outrageously expensive.

Bruce.

Reactions: Ulmo and McManX
Any ideas on new location?

If I were to speculate--and this is pure speculation:

(1) Expansion of the current location from 10 to 16 or more. There is ample room adjacent to the current installation, either directly across from them or to the south.

(2) We are slated to have a Sales and Service Center soon (that is Musk-speak for whenever.) Perhaps Tesla will have Superchargers at this putative location.

(3) There is a lot of new construction just off freeway 41 near the Friant Road exit. Freeway 41 is the road that goes to Yosemite and Bass Lake. Since the existing Supercharger is off highway 99 and a 20-minute detour for those going to and from Yosemite from El Lay or the Central Coast, Tesla might decide to install Superchargers off this freeway.

(4) None of the above. :)

If I were to speculate--and this is pure speculation:

(1) Expansion of the current location from 10 to 16 or more. There is ample room adjacent to the current installation, either directly across from them or to the south.

(2) We are slated to have a Sales and Service Center soon (that is Musk-speak for whenever.) Perhaps Tesla will have Superchargers at this putative location.

(3) There is a lot of new construction just off freeway 41 near the Friant Road exit. Freeway 41 is the road that goes to Yosemite and Bass Lake. Since the existing Supercharger is off highway 99 and a 20-minute detour for those going to and from Yosemite from El Lay or the Central Coast, Tesla might decide to install Superchargers off this freeway.

(4) None of the above. :)

I would guess expansion or a more central location with a full service center.

Anyone have any inside info on the timetable for a service center here? I see on the tesla coming soon map location downtown that seems a likely, albeit highly inconvenient location for a service center, given most local owners probably live in NW Fresno. I sure see a lot more Teslas in Fresno than I did 3 years ago when I ordered mine, surely there is a critical mass of owners in the central valley to build one here by now.

Anyone have any inside info on the timetable for a service center here? I see on the tesla coming soon map location downtown that seems a likely, albeit highly inconvenient location for a service center, given most local owners probably live in NW Fresno. I sure see a lot more Teslas in Fresno than I did 3 years ago when I ordered mine, surely there is a critical mass of owners in the central valley to build one here by now.

According to the local Ranger the last rumor was 'sometime next year'

YMMV - But I still hope sooner.

I encountered this upstanding citizen around 12:15 this afternoon. As I was taking the picture, he came from a shop and gave me the stank eye and asked if I had a problem. I merely asked him why he chose to park in two dedicated vehicle charging spots. He said that there were no other places to park. I correctly pointed out that there are at least 50 open spots withing 30 yards of his truck. He then said, "close by." Then his defense turned to the fact that it is not against the law.

Well, I said, "It may not be posted as against the law but common courtesy and respect for other people have a very important place in society. It is clear to me that you believe in getting away with any sort of behavior that benefits you over others."

When I pointed out that his front tire blocked a second spot, he said that it was no big deal.

By the way, there were 5/10 spots occupied, plus the two that he had purloined.

I then wished him a very Merry Christmas.
IMG_0211[2].JPG

I thought it actually was against the law in California.

Yes. There's California Vehicle Code Section 22511 and 22511.1 but someone needs to have the courage posting a sign with:

"...17 by 22 inches in size with lettering not less than one inch in height that clearly and conspicuously states the following: “Unauthorized vehicles not connected for electric charging purposes will be towed away at owner’s expense. Towed vehicles may be reclaimed at..."

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV