Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fresno, CA (6709 N Riverside, LIVE 10 Jan 2016, 10 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We stopped today with the Model S and Model 3. The Model S got ~95kWs and the Model 3 got ~33kWs. Tesla still claims "Reduced Service: Supercharger Temporarily Closed".
IMG_20181110_094622.jpg

I think they show reduced service when the charging will be slow because the stalls are full and you will share.
Based on the fact that California Superchargers like San Diego and Mountain View and San Mateo have extremely high occupancy rates (essentially 100% full all day every day) but do not show “Reduced Service”, I think your supposition is incorrect.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chuq
Based on the fact that California Superchargers like San Diego and Mountain View and San Mateo have extremely high occupancy rates (essentially 100% full all day every day) but do not show “Reduced Service”, I think your supposition is incorrect.

Makes sense. I assumed it was that because the Dublin Supercharger show reduced service and it is always full. I was at Mountain View Sunday at 6:30 AM and it was not showing reduced service, but was slow (45 Kw tried 3 stalls) even though I was the only car there, so it cannot be based on charge rate. I guess the mystery of what "reduced service" means continues.

Makes sense. I assumed it was that because the Dublin Supercharger show reduced service and it is always full. I was at Mountain View Sunday at 6:30 AM and it was not showing reduced service, but was slow (45 Kw tried 3 stalls) even though I was the only car there, so it cannot be based on charge rate. I guess the mystery of what "reduced service" means continues.
Early morning charging this time of year, it could have been that your battery was too cold for high kW charging. If you were going to charge first thing after the car had been sitting parked all night, I would guess this as a potential cause (even in mild-ish CA weather). But if you were stopping after having been driving more than ~30min. then this shouldn't have been a factor.

I am completely speculating here, with extremely little real information.

Have they retrofitted buck/boost transformers into the equpiment area? I suspect those are part of the solution to the slow SuperCharging reduced service issues of the past years that Tesla seems to have mostly solved. In Tesla's case, those transformers seem to be fairly small things, about the size of a picnic ice chest. I was lead to believe in Tesla's case, they are used to raise the voltage a bit. I wonder if they are constantly connected or switched in and out to raise it dynamically. Anyway, if Fresno needs this solution and doesn't yet have it, it might be one explaination of the reduced service.

If so, I'm not sure you want to agitate for Tesla to rush this into service; the alternative could be being patient and getting some of the earliest SuperCharger V3 upgrades. That might be a good thing or a bad thing. It's really hard to predict the future from our outside view looking in. Or, the SC V3 could happen in the same/similar schedule regardless of this upgrade, if it is indeed an issue. Who knows!

Buck–boost transformer - Wikipedia

As I was driving home from the desert yesterday, the pin on the touchscreen was alive! alive! and showed 9/10 stalls in use around 3:00PM. I did not drive by to validate the usage, but the pin no longer showed the dread circle with the diagonal diameter through it.

Reactions: Ulmo
I charged here on Saturday Dec 1 and got about 33 kWh too. Just for kicks I charged here because I have been hearing reduced charge rates. The place was empty at 7:00 am. Tried at least four different stalls and slow charge rate. I live about 2 miles from here.

I checked on the usage at Fresno today (Thursday, December 27). From about 11:30 on, the station showed as full or 1 available. (There has been some noise that 5A/B are wonky these days.)

I decided to drive by around 2:00 PM, and all ten were in use with three waiting.

This is likely a one-off situation for the holiday season, but I have noticed that average use is increasing from when the location was opened two years ago. I am sure some of the use is locals. Tesla needs either to expand this location to 16+ or add a new location elsewhere in town. It would also help if Tesla built the anticipated locations in Tulare, Bakersfield, and Merced.

Was here last week, & found somebody working on the first and last stalls, which had been nonop. All better now & ive been getting > 100 kW.

What I really want to know is: when will the one downtown open?

First off, unless you know something the rest of us do not, we do not know where the second Supercharger will be installed in Fresno. The pin on the map is just a placeholder with no implication of its true location. The new location could be an expansion of the existing location (plenty of space available), around the Riverpark area (a bunch of new construction is occurring there, and it is just off the SR41 freeway), or it could be before the 99/41 split south of town.

Tesla will roll out the second (or expanded) Fresno location when they are ready. It might start up this spring to be available in time for summer travel. Or they might wait until they have other sites ready that are planned for Merced, Visalia, and Bakersfield along SR99, and get all those locations completed in a 3-5 month period.

Reactions: PLUS EV and McManX
What I really want to know is: when will the one downtown open?
we do not know where the second Supercharger will be installed in Fresno. The pin on the map is just a placeholder with no implication of its true location.
I agree, and several years of Tesla putting grey “coming soon” pins on their Find Us web page supports what @cpa says. That pin in the center of Fresno doesn’t show where the future Supercharger will be, or even indicate that there will be a second Supercharger location somewhere in the Fresno area; it could simply indicate an expansion of the existing location.

51B06A02-C8B1-46D9-9270-0B8D87E7BE4C.jpeg

Reactions: PLUS EV