Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fresno, CA (6709 N Riverside, LIVE 10 Jan 2016, 10 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received word from the property manager for the location at Herndon and the UPRR tracks:

"The proposed Tesla charging station is estimated start construction in November and will open shortly thereafter. Thank you for your interest."

So, it looks like the station will be ready sometime before Christmas for holiday travel, weather and PG&E permitting.

This location is close to our house, and it is on the way for me to get on SR99. I will make periodic visits starting around the first of November to see what is happening in the planned area. I will take some pictures once construction is underway.

The reply to my request did not include the number of stalls.
Awesome news, thanks for the update.

Ok, just drove by... no construction as of today but I did see they have run several temp power poles to the site location... my guess is they are getting ready to begin sometime soon.

The temporary power poles have an inspection card jammed into a vacant electric meter housing on a pole near the entrance. I checked with the permit status for the City of Fresno,
and permit #15-12509 (if my memory recalls the number correctly) was issued to Knight Construction for temporary power for "ATM and CAMM." I assume that "CAMM" is an acronym for "Common Area," perhaps for juice to the ATM and lighting for the area proximate to the ATM and the eventual Superchargers.

So, I do not think that these temporary poles have anything to do with commencement of Supercharger construction. Whether the construction will start simultaneously with the ATM and lighting or afterwards is anyone's guess.

We will just have to stay tuned.

The temporary power poles have an inspection card jammed into a vacant electric meter housing on a pole near the entrance. I checked with the permit status for the City of Fresno,
and permit #15-12509 (if my memory recalls the number correctly) was issued to Knight Construction for temporary power for "ATM and CAMM." I assume that "CAMM" is an acronym for "Common Area," perhaps for juice to the ATM and lighting for the area proximate to the ATM and the eventual Superchargers.

So, I do not think that these temporary poles have anything to do with commencement of Supercharger construction. Whether the construction will start simultaneously with the ATM and lighting or afterwards is anyone's guess.

We will just have to stay tuned.

Fresno Permit status for 15-12509
Application Desc. :Temp power for future ATM/Clock tower

I drove by the site earlier this afternoon. There was a small common area that had been cordoned off with yellow tape. The earth had been dug up a little. This looks to be the location for the ATM, so I do not believe that this small amount of activity is part of the Supercharger construction.

This afternoon (Wednesday, November 11) I saw the concrete contractor working on the ATM/clock tower. He was kind enough to share with me the blueprints for the Supercharger. He is out of Bakersfield, and will not be working on the Superchargers.

I saw the following:

--The parking stalls will be expanded several feet longer, taking out the existing curb and landscaping.
--The drawing showed NINE little squares at the new curb, so it appears that the stalls will be back-in. I could not see a tenth stall on the last spot that could be a pull-in (as several locations are designed.)
--It is unknown whether all spots will receive charging stations, or whether Tesla will build out fewer and leave a couple for future expansion.
--The stack of chargers will be opposite the first two stalls (from the north), and the transformer opposite stalls three and four.
--The power for the ATM is coming from Herndon Avenue, so I am assuming that the power for the Superchargers will be part of this conduit. My guess is that it is about a 100-yard distance from Herndon to the ATM/clock tower/Supercharger spot.

The contractor said that PG&E has been dilatory with the engineering for running the power to the ATM, so the ATM will be opened using the temporary power poles, waiting on PG&E to complete their engineering and then running the permanent line.

So, being a pessimist by nature, I do not see construction starting here for many more weeks--maybe after the holidays.

I will continue to drive by weekly to see if there are any developments.

The contractor said that PG&E has been dilatory with the engineering for running the power to the ATM, so the ATM will be opened using the temporary power poles, waiting on PG&E to complete their engineering and then running the permanent line.

Thank you for the update, and also for introducing the word "dilatory" into my vocabulary. :)

I was hoping that the Superchargers would be on my was to China Peak from SLO. It's about a 20 minute deviation, right?

More or less. Just exit 41 when you hit 99 and go north about 9 miles to the Herndon exit. Take Herndon east across the UP tracks, and the SC will be at that outdoor shopping center. You can then resume your journey to China Peak by taking Herndon east to the 168 freeway, about 11 miles or so.

IMG_9223.JPG
IMG_9224.JPG
IMG_9225.JPG
Here are some photos from today. You can get an idea of where the pedestals are going to be by the white 'USA' (Underground Service Alert) markings. I met with the electrical inspector on another project and he brought this project up to me. He stated that he has not seen any final utility plans from PG&E. He did state that is was going to be a 1600A 277/480 service. I believe he stated it was going to be 8 bays total (my apologies if this info has already been brought to the thread). He has not done a single inspection out there to date in regards to the project. He stated the odds of it being open in 2015 are very slim.
This area is in dire need of EV options. Just FYI to those with the CHAdeMo adapter, Fresno State has 2 CHAdeMo chargers. They are completely FREE and are hardly ever used and the parking lot is open. Went there today I was drawing 350v @ 105A DC. Not as fast as a SC but was totally tolerable.

Just FYI to those with the CHAdeMo adapter, Fresno State has 2 CHAdeMo chargers. They are completely FREE and are hardly ever used and the parking lot is open. Went there today I was drawing 350v @ 105A DC. Not as fast as a SC but was totally tolerable.

Many thanks for the recon and update.

I tried the Fresno State chargers over the summer...couldn't get either CHAdeMO charger to work after many tries entering the code on the keypads there. A LEAF driver who was charging (successfully) there was trying to give me some tips, but nothing we tried worked. With both my son and I having a low tolerance for cranky charging stations and 108F heat, we ended up going to the EVgo CHAdeMO chargers at Fashion Fair. I'll give Fresno State another shot next time I'm in town (Go Dogs!).