Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fresno, CA (6709 N Riverside, LIVE 10 Jan 2016, 10 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
fresno1.jpg
fresno2.jpg
fresno3.jpg

I stopped by this afternoon (November 20) around 2:00 pm, and the construction crew was busy, busy, busy! I was able to speak to the foreman briefly, and he said that their first priority was to pour the transformer pad and get the inspector to sign off so that PG&E has a home for the transformer. (We all know how excruciatingly long this could take.)

Next will be the foundation and enclosures for the chargers. He indicated that it will be fully enclosed with a trellis on top.

This crew will install all electrical conduit, but there will be different contractors to do all the "line pulling" and (apparently) all electrical connections to the charging bays.

The parking slots are extended six feet, so some minor excavation has taken place, and once the bays are set repaved and striped.

There are going to be ten back-in stalls here. Indeed, I counted five wooden crates that ostensibly contain the charger apparatuses.

They hope to be complete with their assignment sometime between the 8th and 12th of December, pending inspections and weather. They are only taking Thanksgiving Day off.

I'll check back mid-week to spot the development of their efforts.

So the thread title can / should change from "location speculation" to "under construction", right?

Also since we know exactly where it is now, and it's within the Fresno city limits, it can just say "Fresno" instead of "Fresno area".

(Having no idea who can do this or how...still a newbie here.)

Good-bye I-5! Driving between Las Vegas and Turlock forced me to I-5 and on both ways between I-5 and Bakersfield slows the drive down with a lot of traffic, stop signs, untimed lights, etc. 99 is normally fairly free-flowing except at the junction of 99 and 58. My first trip from Harris-Ranch to Mojave tested my range anxiety on the way up the hill. My last trip was mostly auto-pilot; it was the most relaxing drive I've ever had in a car. Going down I-5 between Las Vegas and Barstow on Sunday can be a trying experience. Traffic runs between 0 and uh, well OVER the speed limit but you have to pay attention because if you take your eyes off the road you will notice the traffic rapidly slowing down. The Auto-pilot tracked almost perfectly and kept the distance safe. I'm hoping 99 will let me track as well. It's a LONG drive. Auto-pilot doesn't work as well in Las Vegas as a lot of the roads only have the white-dot bumps and no lines so Auto-Pilot hasn't worked as well on the 215. I-15 works great. With a few thousand miles on auto-pilot I've discovered most of the idiosyncrasies that cause Auto-Pilot problems. I can now predict most of the issues we'll in advance.

cpa said:
<snip>
The parking slots are extended six feet, so some minor excavation has taken place, and once the bays are set repaved and striped.

There are going to be ten back-in stalls here. Indeed, I counted five wooden crates that ostensibly contain the charger apparatuses. <snip>
Is Tesla really that clueless? There are a lot of reservoirs used for boating in the Fresno area (Millerton/Pine Flat/Wishon/Shaver/Courtwright/Edison etc.), so why on earth aren't they providing at least one pull-in or pull-through spot?!?! Presumably the tow hitch on the Model X is intended for something more than just carrying a bike/ski rack?

Is Tesla really that clueless? There are a lot of reservoirs used for boating in the Fresno area (Millerton/Pine Flat/Wishon/Shaver/Courtwright/Edison etc.), so why on earth aren't they providing at least one pull-in or pull-through spot?!?! Presumably the tow hitch on the Model X is intended for something more than just carrying a bike/ski rack?
Even with a pull in type station the trailer/camper would stick out possibly in the way of traffic
at least at the Roseville CA sc, which are pull in, the trailer would block traffic from navigating through the lot

Even with a pull in type station the trailer/camper would stick out possibly in the way of traffic
at least at the Roseville CA sc, which are pull in, the trailer would block traffic from navigating through the lot

Yes, I don't really think trailer towing is a consideration in most locations. Parking lots just aren't laid out in such a way that you can have something that long without blocking the driving space, unless you're parking sideways across many spaces. The lack of space to charge without unhitching is just a problem that folks will have to learn to live with in most cases. I think the most effective use of the head-in configuration is in locations that are more likely to get ICEd. The charging units are intimidating and 'in your face' in a discouraging way when you have to thread between them.

Those lakes are 6-8,000+ feet above Fresno, towing a heavy boat up the 4 lane would decimate the battery--we're talking thousands of Wh/m up 16 miles of a 6% grade.

There are no superchargers anywhere designed for towing, and yes I suspect those trailer hitches will primarily be used for bikes and skis.

Last edited:
Those lakes are 6-8,000+ feet above Fresno, towing a heavy boat up the 4 lane would decimate the battery--we're talking thousands of Wh/m up 16 miles of a 6% grade.

There are no superchargers anywhere designed for towing, and yes I suspect those trailer hitches will primarily be used for bikes and skis.

Moreover, in order to make it reasonable to reach those high reservoirs would likely entail a range charge to make it up the grade past Prather. Charging opportunities per Plugshare are scant around Shaver (just the RV Park and a private residence.)

And, I would never take any nice vehicle on that (mostly one-lane) road from Huntington to Edison--especially one so wide as a Tesla, and particularly if towing a boat! (But that is just me talking!)

Millerton and Pine Flat are eminently doable with a minimum charge at Fresno as they are very close with virtually no elevation gain.

I messed up when I took photographs

Well, I was told earlier today that I messed up by taking pictures and posting them on this forum on the construction progress here in Fresno. The powers that be saw them and notified the crew that this was a major breach. So, humble apologies to the construction crew and to anyone else that was compromised by my enthusiasm.

(Yes, I have seen elsewhere the flyers at other sites that have indicated that the sites are off-limits to us looky-loos. I thought that if what I did was wrong, I would have been advised as such. Alas, I overstepped my boundaries.)

So, that said, perhaps the moderators can remove my pictures and posts to restore equity for all involved. I realize that we cannot put the genie back into the bottle, but we can at least make a good faith effort to comply with the contractor's request.

Presumably once the temporary green fencing is gone, and there is no evidence of construction work and the construction crew has departed then that time pictures will be allowed of the completed work?

Well, I was told earlier today that I messed up by taking pictures and posting them on this forum on the construction progress here in Fresno.

You shouldn't believe everything you're told. While it seems likely at this point that Tesla doesn't like people taking pictures and posting them, that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. It doesn't even mean that that's a reasonable position for Tesla to take. There's certainly nothing illegal about it, and there's no right to secrecy involved. And they do such an awful job of communicating with their customers that it's hard to see how pictures of under construction supercharger sites could make things worse.

However they are within their rights to stipulate that contractors not give out any information, so don't be surprised if contractors working on Tesla projects aren't willing to talk to you.

My question is why Tesla even cares about secrecy regarding super chargers? They should be happy to get as much information out to the Tesla public as possible. It doesn't make sense to me. I don't think Shell would want to keep a new station going up a secret.

You shouldn't believe everything you're told. While it seems likely at this point that Tesla doesn't like people taking pictures and posting them, that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. It doesn't even mean that that's a reasonable position for Tesla to take. There's certainly nothing illegal about it, and there's no right to secrecy involved. And they do such an awful job of communicating with their customers that it's hard to see how pictures of under construction supercharger sites could make things worse.

However they are within their rights to stipulate that contractors not give out any information, so don't be surprised if contractors working on Tesla projects aren't willing to talk to you.

Exactly!

If site is in public view, and the pictures are taken from a public location, there is not much that Tesla can do about it.

TMC Paparazzi, fire (snap) at will...

See Pictures of Supercharger Construction for my thoughts on this.

Last edited:
Almost every single supecharger construction site in the country and internationally has had multiple pictures taken and posted here. Don't worry about it, in fact take more. It's a free country and the site is clearly visible from public property, so whoever has their panties in a bunch over your pictures can just get over it. They're installing car chargers, not building the Manhattan project.

Moreover, in order to make it reasonable to reach those high reservoirs would likely entail a range charge to make it up the grade past Prather. Charging opportunities per Plugshare are scant around Shaver (just the RV Park and a private residence.)

And, I would never take any nice vehicle on that (mostly one-lane) road from Huntington to Edison--especially one so wide as a Tesla, and particularly if towing a boat! (But that is just me talking!)

Millerton and Pine Flat are eminently doable with a minimum charge at Fresno as they are very close with virtually no elevation gain.
We obviously lack detailed info at the moment of the Model X' energy draw while towing, but assuming a conservative 1.0 mile/kWh plus 4.4 kWh/1,000' climb, a fully loaded Model X90D towing a 5k lb. trailer should be able to get to Shaver Lake from Herndon and return (ca. 52 miles @ 1.0 kWh = 52 kWh, plus 5.3 kft. climb x 4.4 kWh. = 23.32 kWh = 75.32 kWh. I suspect it could probably make the round trip to Huntington, Wishon and Courtright as well, but that will await better data.

Getting to Florence or Edison over Kaiser Pass would probably require another charge, but an SC at either Shaver Lake or Huntington Lake would take care of that. And destination chargers at any of the lakes would make things pretty easy. Coming back, you'd be getting so much regen that I doubt range would be an issue - you'd want to start pretty empty just so you'd have somewhere to dump it all. It also helps that the speed limit while towing in CA. is only 55 mph; while you'll be passed by all the semis traveling in the 60s, at least you'd have a legitimate reason to drive that slowly. Once you get past Sample Rd. I suspect 55 may be difficult in any case, as the road looks like it gets pretty windy in addition to the climb (I've never driven it).

Last edited: