Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fresno, CA (6709 N Riverside, LIVE 10 Jan 2016, 10 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week I stopped by the Fresno SC on my way to and from Cedar Grove in Kings Canyon. Both days the temperatures were well above 100 F. My SoC was 20% when I pulled in, and early on charging peaked at a little over 100 kW. But then it promptly tapered to 30-40 kW. That's probably to be expected in this heat. Either the BMS just couldn't keep the battery cool enough to accept more power, or the charger couldn't deliver it without overheating. Maybe both. A shade canopy might help.

Anyway because of this my charge took about twice as long as expected. Occupancy was pretty light: often empty, peaked briefly at 6/10 stalls occupied. 100% Model S traffic.

There's a security camera on the equipment corral. Not sure if it's new, but I hadn't noticed it before. Over by the Pieology there's a new taco place getting ready to open.

I'm from the area and have been supercharging recently in this oppressive heat wave we've been having. Last week I managed a peak 100kw at Manteca and sustained 70+kw for quite a while with the ambient temp at 111 F. 30-40kw seems low at any temperature.

I'm from the area and have been supercharging recently in this oppressive heat wave we've been having. Last week I managed a peak 100kw at Manteca and sustained 70+kw for quite a while with the ambient temp at 111 F. 30-40kw seems low at any temperature.
Same for me on the hottest evening at the Manteca SuperCharger. Car SuperCharge rate kept up quite nicely. It seems to work well in the heat.

It looks like Tesla has fixed the slow charging problems, one way or another.

I still wouldn't be surprised if the all-stresses-on-max heat wave response would cause some type of SuperCharge slowdown; less electricity available from grid, more expensive, too hot, cables too hot, car too hot, etc..

Just charged at Fresno supercharger, no other cars charging, ambient temp 91 degrees, state of charge 22%, intially saw 120kw, rapidly dropped down to 50 kw or so, switched chargers, no difference...something has changed, I've been supercharging for 2.5 years and in the last 3 months or so it's definitely charging slower. I have a S85 battery. It's changed enough that whereas previously I've done many road trips in my MS, now I would hesitate to. Charging for 20-30 minutes on a trip is no big deal, over an hour is a deal breaker.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: TaoJones and McManX
Just charged at Fresno supercharger, no other cars charging, ambient temp 91 degrees, state of charge 22%, intially saw 120kw, rapidly dropped down to 50 kw or so, switched chargers, no difference...something has changed, I've been supercharging for 2.5 years and in the last 3 months or so it's definitely charging slower. I have a S85 battery. It's changed enough that whereas previously I've done many road trips in my MS, now I would hesitate to. Charging for 20-30 minutes on a trip is no big deal, over an hour is a deal breaker.
Noticed something similar at Fresno, was there a few days ago. Typically peak and sustain 100+ kW at othe chargers.

Had the same experience last weekend. Good thing we were stopped to eat at the same time. We also had the same situations at Bakersfield, Harris Ranch and Gustine.

...and has anyone mentioned this to Tesla, or just whined/complained here?
Haha.. of course we just "whined/complained" here.. cause that's what humans do.. complain first.. ;)

Joking and sarcasm aside.. I called supercharger team first before posting it here.. they apparently know about some stations having power/load issue..
We were at station 1B (~half normal rate) at first for about 20mins (lunch).. then moved it to 2A (worked fine)

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
I'm happy to see all the whining posts! Given that this is still the only supercharger on 99 through central CA, it makes the decision to take I-5 instead a slam dunk when traveling between the Grapevine and Stockton. It's a close decision otherwise.

About 103*F outside, been getting 35kW for the past 15-20min with below 50% state of charge. Probably the heat. Did not try changing stalls, was eating and I'll be stopping in Manteca anyway.

We're in the midst of a road-trip with two Teslas spanning Socal to Southern Oregon and back. Noticed heat is a huge factor, where simple tree shade seemed to allow unpaired stall to output more than twice the charge rate as an unpaired stall in the sun. My latest simple head-to-head experiment was at the Truckee-Brockway Rd SC.

• Informative
Reactions: McManX