Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Glendale, CA - Harvey Dr (LIVE 25 Jan 2022, 16 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The issue seems to be in the 7pm to 9pm time frame (dinner time sort of). I went around 8:30 pm and it was crazy. But the line eventually moves and you can go in. For me the biggest issue is that the parking lot seems to be a hang out spot for crazy teenagers. But overall glad that the whole area is getting more chargers, definitely need way more plugs that what we have now.
Most of Glendale has various “groups” that hang out in parking lots. Typically on any given night You got the 20-35 year old guys with their fancy sports cars wearing athletic clothing (though they might be far from athletic) , then you got the teenagers. The older crowd is more obnoxious & tend to spend a lot of time smoking and trying to figure out which parking lot to next bless with their presence & detailed cars. When they finally reach consensus, they race down streets utilizing dangerous maneuvers (running lights & making dangerous u-turns) because being first to the next parking lot has something to do with determining status within the pack. Partially For this reason, Glendale,California has the highest rate of car accidents in California despite it’s small geographic area & population. (Compared to other nearby areas).

Most of Glendale has various “groups” that hang out in parking lots. Typically on any given night You got the 20-35 year old guys with their fancy sports cars wearing athletic clothing (though they might be far from athletic) , then you got the teenagers. The older crowd is more obnoxious & tend to spend a lot of time smoking and trying to figure out which parking lot to next bless with their presence & detailed cars. When they finally reach consensus, they race down streets utilizing dangerous maneuvers (running lights & making dangerous u-turns) because being first to the next parking lot has something to do with determining status within the pack. Partially For this reason, Glendale,California has the highest rate of car accidents in California despite it’s small geographic area & population. (Compared to other nearby areas).
Totally right, I lived there for 3 years and saw that very often.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Hi all

we are traveling with small kids from Vegas to Universal Studio soon.

Is this the best place to charge near Universal? Is it busy ?

We would probably be there around 11 AM.

Thank you
it is relatively close

Attachments

• distance.jpg
    distance.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 77
Hi all

we are traveling with small kids from Vegas to Universal Studio soon.

Is this the best place to charge near Universal? Is it busy ?

We would probably be there around 11 AM.

Thank you
You might consider the urban chargers at The Americana in Glendale. its an upscale shopping center so you can stretch your legs and grab a bite. The chargers are located on the seventh floor of the parking structure and the first hour is free, two with validation if you eat at one of the restaurants.

You might consider the urban chargers at The Americana in Glendale. its an upscale shopping center so you can stretch your legs and grab a bite. The chargers are located on the seventh floor of the parking structure and the first hour is free, two with validation if you eat at one of the restaurants.
Haven't been there myself in quite some time but there's a posting on the Glendale thread 1/5/21 stating that the first hour of parking is no longer free.

Reactions: ScottRoberts33
You’ll have to use the car to see how busy it is. It’s random. I’m at the location now 9:30PM Saturday night. In & out burger is open. No issues getting in to the parking lot. Pretty empty. About 8 open stalls.
This will be our first time using supercharger. So we can see, lets say 30 min before our arrival how many spots are available? And if its busy we can look at other options, correct?

This will be our first time using supercharger. So we can see, lets say 30 min before our arrival how many spots are available? And if its busy we can look at other options, correct?
Yes, you can look ahead to see what's available. I drove by it today on my way East on the 210 around 10:50 am and 8 stalls were available. At the same time both the Pasadena locations were nearly wide open(those are good options coming in from Vegas as well). You could hop on the 110 South to the 101 North to Universal Studios(LA locals please correct me if there are better routes).

Reactions: vegasko
Yes, you can look ahead to see what's available. I drove by it today on my way East on the 210 around 10:50 am and 8 stalls were available. At the same time both the Pasadena locations were nearly wide open(those are good options coming in from Vegas as well). You could hop on the 110 South to the 101 North to Universal Studios(LA locals please correct me if there are better routes).

Just a former local that grew up in Glendale in the 50s-70s.

I would suggest instead to continue westbound on the Ventura Freeway (SR134) from the Harvey Dr. Supercharger. Continue on 134 past Interstate 5. I don't know where exactly the Universal Studios entrance gate is. So, there are two choices: Either exit at Forest Lawn Drive and head west to Barham Blvd. and over the hill to Cahuenga Blvd. Then right on Cahuenga. I'm sure your navigation will assist. Or, stay on 134 and exit at Lankershim Blvd. Then south on Lankershim and that will put you smack near wherever the entrance is.

Using the Pasadena freeway (110) to the four-level interchange only to head back northwest on 101 through Hollywood is essentially two legs of a triangle instead of a mostly straight shot on the Ventura Freeway. The speed limit on the Pasadena Freeway (built in 1939) is slower, there is generally more traffic, and you have junctions with Interstate 5 near Dodger Stadium and the 4-level near downtown. Then you need to time your drive so as not to hit the mass exodus in the afternoons.

Take in the Griffith Park Observatory if it is open while you are in LA. It is really something else! And it is fantastic for children of all ages, including this 68-year-old child!

Oh, I would not sweat where to Supercharge while there. The distances are short--like 12 miles or so from Harvey Drive to Universal Studios. There are ample SC about, including a couple in the San Fernando Valley that are not that far. I think one is under construction in Northridge. Seriously, when you decide to depart to home, as long as you have 35-40% in the tank, you should be able to reach any one of a number of SC heading out of town either on the Foothill Freeway (210) or the San Bernardino Freeway (10). You could also return home via Newhall to Palmdale and Lancaster to Mojave before going east to Barstow and on home. Burbank, Santa Clarita (out of the way) and Palmdale or Mojave are close enough so that you don't need to leave with 90%.

This is the first v3 close to home so I'm more tempted to use it opportunistically when at a low SoC, especially since it can put on 50+% while I walk over to that In-N-Out.

I used it once in March. Then we were coming down the Angeles Crest during the lunar eclipse last Sunday night, and I thought we might as well swing by Harvey Dr. and watch third contact there while charging some. This was after 10PM, the charger was full with 5 cars waiting and usually another one would show up when someone left. We went home after third contact and I went back to the In-N-Out for lunch the next day. The charger was then 3/4 full and charged at about v2 speed.

I now realize that this charger is probably in TOU rates (I have free supercharging) and thus gets slammed after the rates drop at 9PM.

For travelers in to the area Harvey Dr. v3 is still an attractive choice. The Burbank Mall charger is chronically full and tends to charge slowly more often than not. The Americana is an urban 72kW charger, best used if you are having dinner there which also gets the parking validated. I have not used either of the Pasadena chargers yet, but the Glenarm v3 is probably efficient most of the time and likely less congested than Harvey Dr,