Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Goleta, CA (LIVE 6 May 2020, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for keeping things in line Bruce. I appreciate the info here but the tangents are wild and often.

I see two tangents here. One me asking for a Model X sitdown for my father, and one me talking about a free charger in Goleta.

I got what I wanted with the wildly off topic Model X, readers of this thread are generally going to be local, unlike any other thread. A local guy who knew who I was responded via email, my screen name kind of gives me away to anyone who knows me. The only response asking where the wildly off topic free charger is located was from.................you. So, when it suited your needs, you participated in an off topic discussion. I assume a wild one at that.

You then brown nosed a moderator, saying the off topic is wild and often.

We've been "off topic" twice as far as I can see, and you posted that you were going to look into profiting from one of them. Are you seeing something different? If so sorry for your suffering. You and I might have different definitions of "wild and often", but go ahead, give it to me, how do you see that here? Maybe I can use your definition in other facets of my life.

In reality there are about six posts worth anything here, one saying where the chargers will be, one confirming it, one saying 12 stalls, one saying V3, and one confirming it. And the one about the free charger, but that's the forbidden off topic that hurts to read. Or whatever the stuffed shirt problem is.

This will be done when it's done, it will show up on everyone's charger map, and no amount of discussion will speed it up or make it any better. So really, what's the point of any of this?

Last edited:
Moderator note: The reason these tangents matter is because many subscribers to these threads subscribe simply to get updates on the progress of, and/or details about the Goleta Supercharger. They are uninterested in someone's personal quests for a Model X sighting or a free charger. Putting personal requests into a thread like this is considered hijacking.

Please - keep the discussion to progress on the Goleta, CA Supercharger. The topic title may helpful. :)

Moderator note: The reason these tangents matter is because many subscribers to these threads subscribe simply to get updates on the progress of, and/or details about the Goleta Supercharger. They are uninterested in someone's personal quests for a Model X sighting or a free charger. Putting personal requests into a thread like this is considered hijacking.

Please - keep the discussion to progress on the Goleta, CA Supercharger. The topic title may helpful. :)

Interesting take on people's mindset and hijacking, thanks for the clarification, I wouldn't have guessed correctly on either. Both interpretations are something completely different in the world that I am used to.

In order to get crucial on topic updates like the above, though, I subscribed.

Last edited:

I thought hard about replying to this because I was struggling how to get I felt/was thinking about this but I've decided to take a shot.

In my dream world branches would have happened naturally on those tangents. If memory serves at least one of those tangents were done in the context of update the topic at hand. I think that is fair and natural in the way humans interact.

I think part of the problem is created by the limitation of our tools. I've been "on the net" long to remember Usenet. My recollection was it became very natural to start a new topic in the context of an existing one. The relationships are such that if someone started on the original thread could easily follow the branch if they wanted or prune it if they weren't. I find the current forum implementation very limiting in this way.

One of the reasons I hesitated in responding is that I have nothing significant to add apropos to the original. It would have been easier if the moderators response became a new thread.

I'm not local to Goleta so I can't contribute directly by scouting the site regularly. Learning about the other charging locations in the area was actually interesting to me since I travel to area regularly. I've discovered with a CHAdeMO I can charge at the Costco where these superchargers are going up. It was still pretty slow but it solved a problem for me. When I went to charge (in the evening) the parking lot was practically empty. Looking forward to having better options.

For those pining for information about the Goleta Supercharger, which started as an off topic in another forum, just read paragraph four and please accept my apologies if I hurt your eyes or sensibilities with the rest.

This whole thread started from the Montecito supercharger thread. That was my fault, with some help I found this (Goleta) charger build in progress. The Santa Barbara supercharger thread is my fault too, it also was an off topic on the Montecito supercharger thread. I should never had gone off topic, we might not be here today, and no one would be lecturing about this off topic going off topic and the ramifications thereof.

Your post is a fine example of what is.................very restricting in this forum. I would not, I guess I am not; I moderate a couple of forums not here, be anywhere near as restrictive, but it's their forum. Or someone's.

So, to be on topic for all the subscribers looking for information about this Supercharger, nothing has changed. There are no crates that have been moved to the build area, they are still in the hold area, the build area has been cleaned up in the last couple of days. Of their (Ambient Electric) equipment there is I believe only a single backhoe that is not on a trailer or in the back of one of their trucks, they, (Ambient) have their things loaded as if they are going to leave. Everything has been cleaned up, trucks are loaded, no equipment on the ground, (pipe, etc), except for the backhoe, which actually has been in the same spot for about a month. In a hole next to what was the big hole. Maybe they are done with that equipment and have power to the hole and are moving to the next phase, who knows, not me.

There is in fact a CHAdeMO at Costco which seems to be open most of the time, there actually is another at Santa Barbara Nissan that I know works and have never seen a car hooked up to. It's possible that it's become a pay station, it was not when I found it, you may have to ask the Nissan guys if it's okay, they are as nice as can be. I asked, they said have at it, but I actually didn't need anything at the time, I was just looking, and have not been back.

Since you are such a polite guy I'll take a vote on telling you where the free 69A charger is in Goleta, if you want to know. Go there at night and you have a 50/50 shot at no one being there, which is unbelievable to me. I just took my car off of it, I got there at 9:30. I was really low and have just one 40A charger. Anyway, there was no one waiting in line after me.

Last edited:
Reactions: arnolddeleon
For those remote and hungry for status... I was there this morning and the silence was deafening. The fenced off area was open, it was remarkably tidy, but no activity. A hole in the fence allowed this photo, nothing new, but there is a coil of wire hanging in the concrete hole. Interesting that the plaza owners would allow job start and then freeze. It is a rather messy obstruction to a very busy parking lot.
A0F7871E-6CF9-4787-95FE-0047BA4243DA.jpeg

Well, what is kind of interesting is that they did clear the equipment out that they had loaded up. But the backhoe, which is to the left of the pad and I had not seen move in a month, was working on a hole today next to the pad. Deep enough that there was another guy standing in it and you could only see his head. Actually he'd be in your photo. This was later this afternoon.

First thing they had to do was get power out there, maybe they did it, or got it to where they bore west from the hole/pad to the street to hook up to it. That might explain a lot of the equipment leaving.

If you drive around back I'm not sure exactly where it is, maybe behind the food court or so, there is some electrical work being done there, too, no idea if it's related. If you are driving down Hollister towards the entrance you can see where it is, another green fenced off area, the fence is at the street. Not the area at the entrance, this is another green fence.

They've not stopped work. If you'd have taken that same picture after they were done today, to the left of the platform is a five foot or so deep hole with a wood frame on top of it, next to it same size hole. Yesterday that was a dirt pile.

I'd have taken a picture tonight, but it's fairly well documented that I need a new phone, can't get a good night shot. Thinking about it, after looking at your photo there may have been more tubes coming out of the platform, i can't remember, I thought it looked different though.

I'll bet they have power at or near it, if they do you'll see more action inside the fenced off area.

My bank is on Santa Felecia, and I need some cash, so I'll go out there again tomorrow, maybe lunchtime when no one is looking and see if I can get a photo.

Edit on my previous post, by drive around back, I mean the back of Vans, the theaters, food court, etc. not the back of the center where the storage area is.

• Informative
Reactions: CharleyBC
i couldn't get a picture without getting workers in it, I wouldn't want my picture showing up on some random forum, so i didn't take any, but they went into Ludicrous mode. One set of guys were working in the holes, another set digging (with a backhoe) along the curb 90 degrees from the hole, where the stalls presumably will go

But there was nothing there aside from it. Go look again, they were loading another platform into place last I saw, and digging out where the stalls should be. No movement at all until about an hour after the last picture above was taken, it looked like that for a month at least. They did hit a water line when boring the power tubes, don't know how long that stopped them for. But they are, as my friends in Philadelphia say, cooking with gas now. Hi Ken.

Reactions: chriscasti