Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Goleta, CA (LIVE 6 May 2020, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went out there for lunch today, and now I'll bet $1 on the Vans side of the big hole. Another $1 on that the big hole, 1, does get its power from the front, 3. There is a plate in the street covering yet another hole, near the center exit, and the gas lines are marked all the way up to Vans.

Perspective is the front of Vans facing Ross. It's kind of a dark day out, sorry.Note the new fencing.

IMG_7126.jpg

Last edited:
I went out there for lunch today, and now I'll bet $1 on the Vans side of the big hole. Another $1 on that the big hole, 1, does get its power from the front, 3. There is a plate in the street covering yet another hole, near the center exit, and the gas lines are marked all the way up to Vans.

I definitely am not an electrician but I never thought installing Superchargers would require construction at 3 sites, 100's of feet apart.

I definitely am not an electrician but I never thought installing Superchargers would require construction at 3 sites, 100's of feet apart.

If you take a look at the Novato thread, PG&E is having to trench a whole new supply to a shopping center a quarter of a mile away. They tried to do the work during the holidays and total gridlock resulted. These SC's aren't easy to install but I'm glad they are adding more!

Reactions: Robert831
That's Camino Real, Goleta, 12 stalls. Or 12 pedestals spotted in the parts section, zero stalls guaranteed at the moment. The 26 stalls, and that would be a miracle, are at Five Points, that's Santa Barbara.

Santa Barbara and Goleta are not the same thing. I would get hit with a stay on topic if I listed the differences, but start with 3000 housing units built with another 1000 to go to add to the tax base in Goleta, with no infrastructure at all to support it.

Which actually is going to be a problem for this particular 12 stall supercharger at Camino Real. They will get overrun, and it's right at the entrance. Just locals, there are so many Telsas here, it will be full all the time. Not that I'm complaining, I'll be really happy to have an option here, but the pent up demand is huge, I'm sure more than they (Tesla) anticipate. Best of luck to travellers.

I really hope they build the one at Five Points, that will take most of the travellers I think, it's right at the 101 off/on ramp.

In post 18 of this thread, I detailed the differences in the locations, what is where. At the time the number 26 was not known for the Five Points station.

Below is the Five Points location, which has been rendered as 26 stalls but at this point exists on paper only.

graphic.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: goletaspring
The whole corridor is under-served... they need a huge charger (like Kettleman) south of Santa Barbara and one up in King City or Santa Margarita. I'm surprised the lines aren't worse in the corridor given Tesla's explosive growth coupled with anemic supercharger growth from Ventura to Salinas on 101.

Reactions: erthquake
View attachment 501679 Perhaps not helpful, but here are a couple of pictures of where I think the 12 stalls are going. Looks like many weeks of work ahead. View attachment 501678

An ideal location, but in addition to the huge local demand I suspect there will be signs permitting ICE parking for an hour or so. This is a busy lot. If local Tesla owners are courteous and ICE drivers stay away, what do you think? Maybe 15 Tesla’s charged in an hour? Let’s be generous and say 20. So around 200 in 12 hours? Anyone have actual data to base an estimate on (bearing in mind we don’t know what kind of chargers they will be)? 5 or 6 years ago there was an article in the local paper saying there were over 200 Tesla’s in the area, some families had 4. How many now? Feels like a 1000. It will be interesting to see the activity.
FBB87ADE-E1EC-4057-BD8F-8214E6922FA9.jpeg

An ideal location, but in addition to the huge local demand I suspect there will be signs permitting ICE parking for an hour or so. This is a busy lot. If local Tesla owners are courteous and ICE drivers stay away, what do you think? Maybe 15 Tesla’s charged in an hour? Let’s be generous and say 20. So around 200 in 12 hours? Anyone have actual data to base an estimate on (bearing in mind we don’t know what kind of chargers they will be)? 5 or 6 years ago there was an article in the local paper saying there were over 200 Tesla’s in the area, some families had 4. How many now? Feels like a 1000. It will be interesting to see the activity. View attachment 501774
If they allow ice parking you'll never be able to get a spot to charge..they'll be taken all the time..they usually are all taken, especially during busy times like during the farmers market, where the main driveway is closed off and every car going into the shopping center from Hollister has to enter right where the chargers will be.

What is funny is local posters are all saying the same thing, it's going into a really busy part of the parking lot. We know that, how can they not?

If you take the red rectangle and move it south across the street you can see that there are no cars there. It's like that a lot. I always park there because no one else does and it lessens my chances of getting dinged.

So if it's to be in the middle of the center why not there? Maybe those spots are in someone's lease, or maybe whoever planned this doesn't have a Tesla or know anyone who does and doesn't know how charging stations work and doesn't know that there are no other options for 40 miles in either direction.

Anyway, we all know there are going to be problems, they must too, there must be a reason it's going where it is.

I'm still very happy to have it, I'm a night owl, so I'm fine with midnight charging.

No movement at all for a few days, hopefully we are not shooting ourselves in the foot. Maybe whoever planned this found this thread and said, hey, wait a minute there might be a problem here:)