Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Greenville, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched through this:

Edit 3:
I also figured out how to efficiently pull up the county permits for greenville county, assuming the supercharger is outside of the city limits. Went through permits from June of last year to now. Nothing. I'm giving up now, I am defeated. I don't believe the supercharger will be built this year.

Don't give up so easy, LOL. You have found where we can find more info. Looks like the previous contractor was Cutting Edge of HHI Inc. I found a phone number for them, I may give them a call this coming week and see if they will let me be a little nosey.
Trey

I still find it fishy that a parking permit would need such large electrical Capacity...

I stopped looking right there because I was pretty sure that was it due to the electrical, but looking again, there are two other permits at that same address for 6 bay stand alone garages with the same electrical type permit attached. Also the original Woodruff Rd. permit has Tesla's name on it (though unfortunately there is no way to search for that field).

As for the county vs. city of Greenville, I didn't realize how much was outside of the city limits. Heck the original location of the supercharger was about 2000 feet from the line (according to google). Once you go over the line, it would be a county permit. Doesn't matter, I looked at the county permits and there is nothing. The two areas that immediately stood out as potential locations that were technically outside Greenville but still could be considered Greenville are down Woodruff road past the old supercharger location and the Pelham road exit.

2015-08-02_10-02-29.jpg

Also for anyone else that wants to waste time pointlessly searching for something that will happen when it happens... Here is how I pulled the county permits:

https://app.greenvillecounty.org/permits_issued.htm

In the Permit# field put 1500005 to pull up the most recent permits. The 15 is the year, and the 0000 precedes the permit number. The 5 at the end pulls up all permits from 5000 to 5999, the range they are currently issuing. To go back, plug in 1500004, 1500003, and so on... I broke it up by 1000 since the max returnable is 1500. Sounds insane but I only scanned through for permits that were paired for commercial building and electrical. Permits with those two and only those two options got looked at and it took about an hour to go through them all. Found a few cell tower permits that way, which would be similar to a supercharger, commercial building and electrical permit but no plumbing.

I am planning a road trip to TN in Oct. What do you guys think the chances are to get a SC in Greensville? I need that location to complete the trip in a S60

Given this site has been stalled for 18 months, it's a sad testimony to Tesla's Supercharger network in the South East. I wouldn't hold by breath any longer, they clearly don't care too much. Here's a good thread on the bigger picture: Arc of Doom

I am planning a road trip to TN in Oct. What do you guys think the chances are to get a SC in Greensville? I need that location to complete the trip in a S60

Check back in September and you'll have a better idea. Right now, there is no reason to believe that it will be available in October. That said, where in TN are you headed? Can you get there through Chattanooga?

I am coming from FL to Gatlinburg, TN and the quickest route would be through I-95; however, between the Santee Supercharger in SC and Knoxville Supercharger 321 miles! I hope there is a SC in between that leg by Oct :)

Ahh - I see. Not sure exactly where in FL you're coming from, but as far as I can tell, coming up through Atlanta to Chattanooga and then Knoxville to head over to Gatlinburg is only about 40 miles longer of a drive. In fact, I suspect that it might actually be a quicker drive because the superchargers are better spaced going up the Atlanta route. On I-95, you'll have to deal with the St. Augustine to Savannah leg which will require you to probably range charge your 60 (hence taking a long time).

Ahh - I see. Not sure exactly where in FL you're coming from, but as far as I can tell, coming up through Atlanta to Chattanooga and then Knoxville to head over to Gatlinburg is only about 40 miles longer of a drive. In fact, I suspect that it might actually be a quicker drive because the superchargers are better spaced going up the Atlanta route. On I-95, you'll have to deal with the St. Augustine to Savannah leg which will require you to probably range charge your 60 (hence taking a long time).
That is a consideration. The Atlanta to Chattanooga route does have the best SC scenario but is a bit longer. May not be that much of a difference if I need to stop at a Chademo, if not longer. My wife prefers the 95 route as more of her favorite cities are on the way too [emoji1]

I just read that the Greenville Chademo on Richardson street is malfunctioning once again. Another unfortunate Sunday traveller was unable to get it to charge. We just can't get Tesla technology fast enough in Greenville. It was supposed to be fixed and amped up for really quick charging late last week. As of now, it's still not a great option. Though, truthfully I am encouraged by the service they are giving it, I think they sincerely want it to be a good charger for us. Not yet. : (

I just read that the Greenville Chademo on Richardson street is malfunctioning once again. Another unfortunate Sunday traveller was unable to get it to charge. We just can't get Tesla technology fast enough in Greenville. It was supposed to be fixed and amped up for really quick charging late last week. As of now, it's still not a great option. Though, truthfully I am encouraged by the service they are giving it, I think they sincerely want it to be a good charger for us. Not yet. : (

And this is why there's no point in lobbying for L2/L3 charging infrastructure from the government - it's just not reliable. My GF and I are planning a trip to and from Myrtle Beach in October, and we're not even bothering trying to get a CHAdeMO adapter because we don't want to plan for a quick charge only to find that it broke over the weekend and won't be fixed until the next day. We're gonna do a few hours in Commerce, GA on the way up and (much to the happiness of the mayor) a few hours in Greenvile on the way back using an L2 charger.

Even if there were 10 L3 chargers in the city of Greenville, it looks like I'd spend just as much time hopping from garage to garage finding one that works than I would just parking at an L2 and leaving it for a few hours. I'd much rather hit a Supercharger in a mall outside of the downtown area, as it's more convenient for me, although I know that's not convenient to city politicians who want to trap us in their city for a several hours.

And this is why there's no point in lobbying for L2/L3 charging infrastructure from the government - it's just not reliable. My GF and I are planning a trip to and from Myrtle Beach in October, and we're not even bothering trying to get a CHAdeMO adapter because we don't want to plan for a quick charge only to find that it broke over the weekend and won't be fixed until the next day. We're gonna do a few hours in Commerce, GA on the way up and (much to the happiness of the mayor) a few hours in Greenvile on the way back using an L2 charger.

Even if there were 10 L3 chargers in the city of Greenville, it looks like I'd spend just as much time hopping from garage to garage finding one that works than I would just parking at an L2 and leaving it for a few hours.

This is where I am at personally and why I haven't bothered with a CHAdeMO adapter as the infrastructure hasn't been reliable enough yet for me to depend on it. As such, I just adjust my plans not to need it.

Is it a specific company who is producing the Chademo stations that is having issue maintaining it?

I don't know. I know its been mentioned a couple times in this thread and I know other threads have mentioned similar problems at stations around the country. Hence why I simply said I'll let the technology/infrastructure mature some more before I take a deeper look.

You're correct, of course, although I have seen quite a few 60's charging away at St. Augustine before the great trek to Savannah. All of them seen to have made it. From discussions with a couple of them they seem to have been at 65mph, but made it with a few miles to spare. The reported problems I have heard about were wandering around Savannah Airport looking for the Superchargers.

You're correct, of course, although I have seen quite a few 60's charging away at St. Augustine before the great trek to Savannah. All of them seen to have made it. From discussions with a couple of them they seem to have been at 65mph, but made it with a few miles to spare. The reported problems I have heard about were wandering around Savannah Airport looking for the Superchargers.
Ugh, I keep kicking myself for opting for the 60 vs the 85. At the time I figured AP would be a more useful feature than range. I looked into trading in the 60 but Tesla was offering 22k less than what I paid a month ago, lol.