Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Grinnell, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Grinnell, IA

Host Type: Gas Station
Host: Kum & Go

Along Primary Interstates: I-80
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-6
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-80

To: Coralville, IA - 59.6 miles
Diversion: 0.7 miles
To: Davenport, IA - 117.4 miles

US-6

To: Coralville, IA - 64.5 miles
Diversion: 6.9 miles
To: Davenport, IA - 132.5 miles

Near-splitter on i-80, in a 98.6 mile gap between Altoona, IA and Coralville, IA. (A splitter on US-6 as the gap is 103.1 miles folllowing US-6).
If I recall correctly, Altoona, IA can be problematic, so this will be particularly welcome density, as a v3 amongst some v2..

• Informative
Reactions: frnkblk
I'd prefer something on Hwy 20 west of I-35 (Webster City / Fort Dodge area). That trek to Sioux City needs a stop w/o having to go 35-40 miles out of the way to jot up to Dows and then back down and over.
This is one of the main reasons we purchased a CHAdeMO adapter, so we could charge in Ft. Dodge and Early., which are both along Hwy 20. But even going to the DCFC in Ft. Dodge adds another 20+ driving minutes.

Partial site plans for Grinnell (I scraped the important stuff)

Grinnell.jpg

Attachments

• Grinnell Full PDF.pdf
    790.2 KB · Views: 569
@Chuq , I drove by this site eastbound on I-80 yesterday (Saturday) afternoon.
We did not get off to take pictures.
For what it's worth, from the interstate, I could see the charging pedestals along the edge of the Kum & Go lot, on the side of the lot by highway 146.
It also looked like the white invertor boxes, etc. were placed between the pedestals and 146 (i.e. closer to the road than the pedestals).
We didn't stop as we were trying to get to our room reservation before dark.

This seems to be a great location for a supercharger. It splits the distance between Altoona and Coralville superchargers. The Kum and Go lot is very close to the exit. The parking lot is spacious and easy to navigate. This is not a popular location to park and low chance of getting ICE’d. I love seeing all of the charging options coming online for Iowa.

I talked to the crew on this charger. I guess a crew did iowa city and possibly one of the others and messed up a lot of it. They were hired to fix them, required some demo and redoing some of the work. The crew was fired on site they said. This has delayed them. They said Grinnell will be done in the next few days, IC next week most likely. They said CR was done by the same crew and suffered some issues. They were unsure when Tesla would turn it on. I assume Tesla will probably do CR, IC, and Grinnell all in the same day. This is the same crew doing OH and IN.