Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger growth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the vision, @jhm. It will be really interesting to see if the AutoPilot-to-park option can figure out how to navigate in multi-level parking garages. It's clear that the car's current GPS doesn't use elevation (it gets confused when you're driving on a surface road over a tunnel, e.g. Boston's "Big Dig" I-93 tunnel). The SC in Normal, IL is in such a parking structure. Given how idiosyncratic these garages can be and confusing even for humans, I'm skeptical about how quickly we'll see your vision play out for dense urban residences.

If you've got a specific garage that's becoming Autopilot enabled, it could have a multilevel map created and stored on Tesla servers with visible flags on each level that the camera can pick up and identify from the map (anything from simple level markers to look for to large unique 2D bar code stickers identifying the exact location and level on the posts.)

The car would need some sort of a prompt to tell it to load and use the map - which could be GPS enabled like the smart suspension from 6.0 I suppose.
Walter

The number of stations, however, have direct bearing on how marketable a car is in a particular area. I live in Atlanta, just 2 miles from the Decatur store which has 4 SC stalls. I test drove a car last Saturday. In discussion, the sales rep asked about where we like to go for trips. Top on our list are Asheville, Charleston and maybe Orlando, but we prefer to fly to Orlando. It turns out that there are still no SC stations along the way to Asheville or Charleston.

This is HUGE for me as well. I live in Charlotte NC and the lease is done on my Chevy Volt in 9 months. I need SC installed in Commerce, GA and the Greenville/Spartanburg SC area to cover travel to Atlanta, and I need one in Asheville, because....Asheville.

BUT, Charlotte is a much smaller market for EVs than Atlanta (the metro is 1/3 the population, the state tax breaks don't exist like in Georgia etc.) The fact that from Atlanta you can't go to Charlotte, Augusta or Birmingham is a real marketing problem. In fact, I still don't see an SC planned for Birmingham AL on the map.

Early adopters might be down with hanging for a few hours between ATL and CLT with a Level 2, or finding a NEMA plug somewhere, but most people won't want to do that. Once Charlotte SC opens, you can do a 100% charge and drive 50-55 mph to Atlanta and make the trip, but again, that is something that an enthusiast might do that a person just wanting to do the trip won't.

This is HUGE for me as well. I live in Charlotte NC and the lease is done on my Chevy Volt in 9 months. I need SC installed in Commerce, GA and the Greenville/Spartanburg SC area to cover travel to Atlanta, and I need one in Asheville, because....Asheville.

BUT, Charlotte is a much smaller market for EVs than Atlanta (the metro is 1/3 the population, the state tax breaks don't exist like in Georgia etc.) The fact that from Atlanta you can't go to Charlotte, Augusta or Birmingham is a real marketing problem. In fact, I still don't see an SC planned for Birmingham AL on the map.

Commerce, GA, would be an excellent location.

My mother-in-law recently told me that she sees five or more cars charging at the Atlantic Station in Atlanta. This has 12 stalls in an upscale mall serving largely high risebdwellers in Midtown Atlanta. I suspect the demand is mostly coming from local residents who otherwise have limited residential charging options.

I've got family living in a close by luxury high rise where residents are trying to work this out. One resident is buying a Model S, but there is no charging in their building. They claim it will cost $15000 to equip a stall that multiple residents may share and are trying to negotiate this with the HOA. It sounds very frustating. We need better options now. 90% of the residents in this building could appreciate and afford a high end Tesla, but charging infrastructure is a major road block. It was this precise situation that got me thinking about auto-park-charge solutions. Any ideas?

In any case, the Atlantic Station SC could be the answer for many in this market. You can shop there for your weekly groceries or go to the gym or even go to the Bodies exhibit, and get your car charged at the same time. Once or twice a week is all it would take. It's not ideal, but it could work. Auto-park-charge solutions could make it work even better. If Tesla sells twice as many cars in the Midtown market, which would only take 10 to 20 months, it could easily swamp the 12 stalls they currently have in Atlantic Station. I'd also point out that Tesla now has three stores in the Atlanta area. Two have opened within the the last two months! They obviously want to grow this market.

So getting back to a Commerce, GA, station, this would give distance commuters and longer trip travelers good entry to the Atlanta area and help avoid congestion around urban charging outlets like Atlantic Station. Both problems need to be solved.

I'm hoping that Tesla will want to grow the Charlotte and surrounding markets. I think we'll see some solid SC devolopment happen in the region in that case. Regarding the $5000 GA tax break, it's pretty awesome right now, but I expect it to be cut back or eliminated this year. So Tesla needs to make hay while the sun shines, but getting the infrastructure in place will have a more lasting impact on this market. As frustrating as it all can be, it is very exciting to see it come together.

Well, I'm doing what I can to help Q1 deliveries and motivate Superchargers in the Southeast. I just ordered my first Tesla today. It should come by late March.

Thanks to all who helped me work through my concerns about limited SC coverage in my region. We're looking forward to a trip to Chattanooga, TN, in the spring. Weve never vacationed ther before, but it looks like a pretty good starter trip with a new Model S.

Super charger station number ended up 330+ by 2014. This is pretty good progress. Expect to double this number to 700 by end of 2015.
Maoing, I agree. I am curious about how you are getting to 700 as a target for end of 2015. Are you thinking that as production doubles so should SC count? I think that each well placed SC station can add 100 or more to annual demand. Under that assumption, getting to 700 stations would add sufficient demand to match with 70,000 annual production. So I am wondering if you are thinking along the same lines.

Longer run I think that 1 SC per 250 annual deliveries will be adequate. Just adding more SC stations, however, won't get us there. Adding new models and features like D, Autopilot, Model X and an affordable Model 3 will obviously build demand too. In the short run, 1 SC per 100 annual deliveries makes sense to me.

Bingo. I assume 100/station as ballpark number. For example, 33K delivery guidance last year and 330+ stations built last year. Next year, I just simply double and round up to next 100s, so I come out 700.

Maoing, I agree. I am curious about how you are getting to 700 as a target for end of 2015. Are you thinking that as production doubles so should SC count? I think that each well placed SC station can add 100 or more to annual demand. Under that assumption, getting to 700 stations would add sufficient demand to match with 70,000 annual production. So I am wondering if you are thinking along the same lines.

Longer run I think that 1 SC per 250 annual deliveries will be adequate. Just adding more SC stations, however, won't get us there. Adding new models and features like D, Autopilot, Model X and an affordable Model 3 will obviously build demand too. In the short run, 1 SC per 100 annual deliveries makes sense to me.

Show us where to grow, interactive marketing map

Tesla's website includes a Find Us Map where visitors can discover where Tesla has Supercharger stations, destination chargers, stores and service centers. This is one-way communication with prospective buyers.

Let's take this one step further to engage visitors in fully interactive marketing. I propose that Tesla host a "Show Us Where to Grow" Map. In this map, registered users would be invited to place markers on a map indictating where they would like to see Tesla place Superchargers, stores and service centers. The results of marker placement would be visible to all visitors. Registered users would also be invited to share personal information with Tesla that would be kept confidential and used only for marketing purposes. Such information might include things like address and other contact info, Tesla ownership, test drive experience and car purchase intentions, demograpics, etc.

This information would support market research and generate sales leads. For example, gathered database could be queried to discover which SC locations are most frequently recommended by non-converted test drivers in the Atlanta area? This query may indicate that Commerce, GA, is particularly welcomed by this target segment. Next, suppose Tesla does move to open at such a location. The database can be queried again to generate a lead list of all users who recommended that location. Special effort would be made to contact prospects on this list.

Thus, the Show us where to grow map would support two-way communication and integrated marketing. This could be instrumental not only in developing served markets such as the Atlanta region, but also for moving internationally into unserved markets. For example, building up a database on say India could facilitate the decisions on when and how to enter that country. Moreover, when Tesla does enter, it has a rich prospect database to start with. It can better anticipate where demand is and how to lay out its networks. All this would be a huge strategic advantage for moving into new markets.

New NA maps, amongst other things from new Tesla homepage.
2015-northamerica.jpg

2016-northamerica.jpg

That's some significant improvements to the NA map. What was the original timeline on when they expected completion? Was that the "coming soon" | "2015" | "2016" perhaps? Or was the last one still expecting end of 2015 for all of those charge points? If the latter that is a significant bump in expected growth for US 2015. If it is 2016 then the 2015 map looks like they have already moved some charge points back into 2016 which makes me a little sad :(

Either way, the maps look great! It is nice to see they are far from finished with the US and where they intend to take us!

EU I don't see much different offhand, that looks mostly like the same maps. But they had the most "updated" maps out of everyone for a while so not surprised they didn't do anything there.

Asia/AU looks like a decent expansion for a second route up the coast of AU, which should be great for them, the rest seems to be the same dots observed previously. This would be the next big update I would expect is where they intend to expand into for China once they finish the current map.