Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Haymarket, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
gnuarm

On your trip this time, go to your settings tab (car icon) then to trips. the top line is your energy performance on the current trip since you got in the car. The second line is your energy performance since the last charge. below that are set trip limits and life of the car.

I was surprised last night when I got in the car was consuming 440 KWH in 39 degree weather. that number fell to 411 by the time I got home after 20 miles of starting and stopping, rush hour traffic and keeping the heat at 70. I'm sure it was heating up the battery. It was the highest level I have seen since I bought the car. I got the car in March, my life time average is 303 KWH, with my lead foot, passing everyone on RT.15;)

gnuarm

On your trip this time, go to your settings tab (car icon) then to trips. the top line is your energy performance on the current trip since you got in the car. The second line is your energy performance since the last charge. below that are set trip limits and life of the car.

I was surprised last night when I got in the car was consuming 440 KWH in 39 degree weather. that number fell to 411 by the time I got home after 20 miles of starting and stopping, rush hour traffic and keeping the heat at 70. I'm sure it was heating up the battery. It was the highest level I have seen since I bought the car. I got the car in March, my life time average is 303 KWH, with my lead foot, passing everyone on RT.15;)

Wrong units. It's Wh/mi. :)

It looks like we're going to have a great showing tomorrow! Hopefully the rain holds off. The Sheetz manager is thrilled that we'll be gathering but advised that noon on Saturday can get pretty busy with the lunch crowd. She asked that we not block traffic and suggested the areas in green below as overflow parking. Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow and at The Farm Brewery afterwards. The brewery has reserved a section for us and advised that the "Two Smooth Dudes" food truck will be on-site.

upload_2019-1-4_22-36-13.png

*Note this is an old satellite image. The construction is no longer there.

gnuarm

I don't know how you pass anyone on Rt 15. Much of it is 2 lanes with fairly solid traffic, no chance to pass... safely.

I don't know how you pass anyone on Rt 15. Much of it is 2 lanes with fairly solid traffic, no chance to pass... safely.

Crap, missed the ceremony. I got home at 10 PM last night and got up late today. I'll be heading up that way tomorrow anyhow and I"m not sure I'd have enough juice to reach Haymarket today anyway. I think I only had 20% last night when I rolled in. I'll see you all when they have an opening in Frederick, MD.

Thanks for posting pics of the event. Great turn out.

I look forward to posts in this thread that are limited to useful information and updates specifically about the Haymarket supercharger.

Very Quickly!, I know where every passing spot is and use them alot. Always someone doing 40 MPH or less on that road. I don't know if you ever swing out on to 340 then come back into 15 at 66. I've done that once while heading down to Warrenton.

Big Earl Thanks for posting shots, That was a really nice turn out.

Glad there was such a turnout... speaking of which, all the 2018 leftovers on the map have been bumped to 2019, of course, but look at this. Gainesville is still there. Think it's a 'typo', as it were?

View attachment 367566

Seems like they plan on covering 29 with Gainesville, while Haymarket serves 66, 15 and 234.

It’s a pretty busy area and it would be well-served by an additional site.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and vdiv
gnuarm

Turn off the heat and use the seat heater, your usage will drop into the low 300’s

Turn off the heat and use the seat heater, your usage will drop into the low 300’s

well i simply forgot to preheat my car last week, and paid for it. 26 degrees out and the car jumped to over 500 wh/hr a figure I had never seen in the car. I was playing catch up all day running around. Days after that the numbers dropped back down, when I pre-heated.

I thought if we left the car plugged in the battery would heat itself? I had turned the heat down to 65 to see if that would help much, but it didn't.

Is there a way to preheat washer fluid and or back window? Last weekend was my first dealings with heavy snow with the S. set it before I get out of the car?

well i simply forgot to preheat my car last week, and paid for it. 26 degrees out and the car jumped to over 500 wh/hr a figure I had never seen in the car. I was playing catch up all day running around. Days after that the numbers dropped back down, when I pre-heated.

I thought if we left the car plugged in the battery would heat itself? I had turned the heat down to 65 to see if that would help much, but it didn't.

Is there a way to preheat washer fluid and or back window? Last weekend was my first dealings with heavy snow with the S. set it before I get out of the car?

The battery does keep itself within an acceptable range. It wwil create a like heah island around the car. If you have good shore power, leave the cabin heat on by setting camper mode. That should keep even the washer fluid safe.

Distance matters. That huge spike in kWhs will even out over 30 or so miles. If your daily commute is short, the battery never gets fully warm and this you are paying that price over and over. There used to be an energy saving mode but I think that's been removed in the latest versions of the UX.

On shows power, my understanding is you still have to be preheating the car for it to also prewarm the battery.

• Helpful
Reactions: Reddy Kilowatt
Very Quickly!, I know where every passing spot is and use them alot. Always someone doing 40 MPH or less on that road. I don't know if you ever swing out on to 340 then come back into 15 at 66. I've done that once while heading down to Warrenton.

Big Earl Thanks for posting shots, That was a really nice turn out.

No, I can't imagine a time when it would pay to take 340 rather than 15. I commuted between Frederick and Warranton for a while. I finally realized there is literally no point in passing anyone because they will end up behind you when you reach a light. Even with the enormous horse power in this car, passing on Rt 15 is just too difficult and dangerous. I'm happy catching up with them at the next light.

Reactions: Leeclanual

People say this but I don't find it to be true. No small part of the excess consumption is that it was never in the battery in the first place. I don't know how the Tesla system tracks battery capacity, but if you fully charge a battery while warm, then cool it, energy is lost and so are miles if used at that temperature. When it warms up the energy is regained, so the rest of the trip will be at the normal consumption, but that can take 100 miles. By then your range is shot. That's the problem with short trips, the battery never warms up and you can lose an enormous amount of capacity.

I would love to know more about how Tesla manages this issue. Someone indicated the battery is actually insulated, but I haven't found any info that makes me believe this. Since they are actively cooled, it would make sense to insulate to retain what warmth you can in the winter. But I don't know how practical this is given the space constraints of a real car. I believe temperature control is also very important to the lifespan of the battery.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
First stop off at the Sheetz... man this place gets some Tesla use. During the 25 minutes on the charger probably a dozen cars cycled in/out... some only plugged in for 10 mins. Grocery store probably a 100 yards away... couple of food places nearby... if you want more selection need to cross 15.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark