Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Haymarket, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
706B8B65-0521-46DE-9C1D-2CC637777A56.jpeg

All the posted signs are 10 minute general parking.

A comment I saw on the Tesla Reddit said that there is *also* going to be a Gainesville Supercharger at a Target. Wtf? If so, I’ve missed this totally and have trouble believing the G’ville pin is for its own SuC and not Haymarket and we will end up having two of them this close.

As I posted there, if the traffic warranted why not expand one location and not have two. (Could be physical reasons of course. Do we ever have two locations this close?)

Edit; went back and saw the Cabelas comment, which makes a ton of sense. Yeah, that location is a bit off the highway. And I think the original pin drops are from 30K feet, if you know what I mean. I can’t believe G’ville is getting their own after all that. We always have to recall the pins are on some feature. Even Arlington is on Washington Blvd if you zoom in enough (not sure why, probably to mess with us :D).

Edir2. This ‘Gainesville’ comment appears to have been from someone that thought the pin drop was an actual final location and that was literally on the Target location. We’ve learned better by now, of course. So, disregard. I think we can assume Haymarket is ‘Gainesville’.

Last edited:
I stopped in on my way by last night and they are still surrounded by a fence. I didn't look too hard at them as I wouldn't have been able to photo them anyway.

I pass by here most weeks and will get some shots as soon as I can. I asked the workers and they didn't know anything about it. I suppose in the end they have to wait for the power company to do their final inspection and turn on the juice.

This is pretty big for me. While it's not my Frederick charger, it will help me not have to wait hours at low rate chargers along my route.

Went by an hour ago. It looks like all the construction is finished, and if they just move the fence and that big green container, it'd be good to go. No doubt there're inspections and whatnot to go, but I wouldn't be surprised if it opened up this week.

Boaterva, the guy who told me about Cabelas seemed to have a source on this, and was quite sure that the Gainesville supercharger was definitely off. He didn't know for sure but we speculated that the Fairfax one was off too. That one would have been further away than Gainesville, but still too close to be much of a priority. Just speculation but he said he hasn't heard anything about Fairfax, and they dropped a pin there months and months ago.

This is pretty big for me too. They could hardly have put one in a closer spot, so no more worries about running low and having to charge overnight at home.

Last edited:
Last night. There's still no transformer in place and there was some concrete work being done. Near as I could tell, the concrete on the two left-most charging spots was messed up somehow (possibly too thin) so they carved it out, pulled it up in a big blocks like tombstones, and looked like they were digging it a bit deeper. Odd. I'll go by later to see what's up today but I'm still hopeful that they'll be done soon-ish.

Last night. There's still no transformer in place and there was some concrete work being done. Near as I could tell, the concrete on the two left-most charging spots was messed up somehow (possibly too thin) so they carved it out, pulled it up in a big blocks like tombstones, and looked like they were digging it a bit deeper. Odd. I'll go by later to see what's up today but I'm still hopeful that they'll be done soon-ish.
Out of curiosity, do you not have home charging available?

.. I know you weren't asking me but figured I'd contribute -- I live in a Townhouse with NO home charging and have charged w/ a supercharging all but 2 times... Not sure if / how will affect battery in long runo_O

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare
Out of curiosity, do you not have home charging available?

I do but some days I do enough running around that I have to think about charging time and whatnot, especially as I like to make sure the car is ready to go if I need it. If I've a supercharger in my back yard, goodbye worrying about charging, like ever. I've also got free supercharging which delights me far too much considering that it doesn't really save me all that much, or hasn't till now.

And I drove by last night - no changes that I could see. I think they're still repairing the concrete they removed and I don't think I saw any sign of a transformer.

I do but some days I do enough running around that I have to think about charging time and whatnot, especially as I like to make sure the car is ready to go if I need it. If I've a supercharger in my back yard, goodbye worrying about charging, like ever. I've also got free supercharging which delights me far too much considering that it doesn't really save me all that much, or hasn't till now.

And I drove by last night - no changes that I could see. I think they're still repairing the concrete they removed and I don't think I saw any sign of a transformer.
So do you charge overnight at home and still drive enough that you need additional supercharging in a given day?

Sometimes. Got a long commute and last week i left afterwards for the outer banks. Had to wait at home for a bit to get lar
So do you charge overnight at home and still drive enough that you need additional supercharging in a given day?

Occasionally. I have a long commute and a few weeks back, I had to wait at home for a bit on friday for a drive to the outer banks. With a bit of extra charge I could make for the Glen Allen charger and skip the Fredericksburg one, which saved me a good bit of traffic.

I also like to have more charge than I'm likely to need, especially in winter. Last winter I limped into a supercharger with only a few miles to spare, rather than the large-ish margin I thought I'd have. I wasn't really that close to getting stuck but I've done enough field work in remote places that over-planning is kinda second nature.

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare