Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Henderson, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This coupled with the planned V3 for Carthage, TX paints an interesting picture. Henderson and Carthage are both about 25 miles south of 1-20 and are about 32 miles apart from each other.

Yet their collective placement south of the Interstate is pretty well centered on the 103 mile gap along I-20 between the Lindale TX and Shreveport SC's -- both of which are V2. (yeah, I know the Bossier City, LA Supercharger will give the greater Shreveport area a V3, when finished)

And yes, I know proximity of an Interstate SC is probably only one factor Tesla uses to determine rural SC placement. I just find it interesting they are hitting these two relatively close together small Texas towns before addressing the sizeable gap on one of the highest traffic highways in the state. Either town is certainly too far from the Interstate for an I-20 EV traveler to divert for a charge...unless it's a range emergency.

map.jpg

Henderson, TX

Host Type: Gas Station
Host: Gateway Travel Plaza
Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-79, US-259
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

US-79

To: Carthage, TX - 33.3 miles (Permit)
Diversion: 0.2 miles
To: Shreveport, LA (v2) - 75.9 miles

US-259

To: End (US-59/US-270 south of Heavener, OK) - 220.2 miles
Diversion: 0.2 miles

Another Supercharger at an intersection of 2 US Numbered-Highways.
The first Supercharger on US-259. It begins in Nacogdoches, TX north of the current Supercharger there.

Reactions: Kewmpie1 and CarlS
I would have expected a site in Longview before Carthage or Henderson...
Yeah, me too. My son is a student (senior BSME) at LeTourneau, so it's been painful to rely on Lindale SC and whatever L2 charging we can scrounge in Longview. Places like this remind me that EVs (even Tesla) are not mainstream vehicles yet. We need a staggeringly larger amount of fast DC build-out in the hinterlands (not big cities) for the general population to be comfortable with EVs as all-around do-everything vehicles.

Reactions: CarlS and zroger73
I'll be here next month for the annual Heritage Syrup Festival - I'll have to make it a point to drive by the Supercharger location and check it out.

A couple of days ago on a Henderson Facebook group, someone asked, "Anyone know when Tesla chargers will be available for use?"

Some of the responses were:

Rick S.
For me never

Nancy G.
I'm curious how many folks in Henderson have or want electric cars?

Richie S.
Hard pass for me

Angel E.
No way in hell. They don't come in Farm Truck Mode.

J Deane B.
not me

Rebecca B.
Hell to the no for me. I'll stick with my diesel

Tilmon L.
Hellz no from me dawg

Robert W.
Electric car. Runs on coal........

As usual, I had to educate them by providing actual data on EV registrations, charging speeds, electrical generation mix, and how the power grid works. :)

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I'll be here next month for the annual Heritage Syrup Festival - I'll have to make it a point to drive by the Supercharger location and check it out.

A couple of days ago on a Henderson Facebook group, someone asked, "Anyone know when Tesla chargers will be available for use?"

Some of the responses were:

Rick S.
For me never

Nancy G.
I'm curious how many folks in Henderson have or want electric cars?

Richie S.
Hard pass for me

Angel E.
No way in hell. They don't come in Farm Truck Mode.

J Deane B.
not me

Rebecca B.
Hell to the no for me. I'll stick with my diesel

Tilmon L.
Hellz no from me dawg

Robert W.
Electric car. Runs on coal........

As usual, I had to educate them by providing actual data on EV registrations, charging speeds, electrical generation mix, and how the power grid works. :)
Super curious what the country folks will do when the CT starts rolling out en-masse. It will destroy conventional trucks in nearly every metric with the sole exception of long distance hauling (for now). Unlike ford, gm, and rivian, Tesla will be able to truly ramp production too, which should facilitate price competitiveness eventually. I think that once people associate the "shape" of the CT with all the baddass things it will be able to do, the demand from many traditional truck buyers will be insatiable.

Back to the point, hopefully I can use it before my son graduates from LETU in May 2024.

Reactions: zroger73
Just went by this afternoon and spoke with the contractors...they said that they are almost done, but will be waiting for the city to install the transformer, which could be up to a month for activation.

Attachments

• 20231009_153444.jpg
    20231009_153444.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20231009_153450.jpg
    20231009_153450.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 20231009_153423.jpg
    20231009_153423.jpg
    783.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Informative
Just went by this afternoon and spoke with the contractors...they said that they are almost done, but will be waiting for the city to install the transformer, which could be up to a month for activation.
The city doesn't supply or install transformers. I believe Rusk County Electric Cooperative is the electric company for most or all of Henderson - they buy their power from Southwestern Electric Power Company. RCEC, SWEPCO, or one of their contractors will likely install the transformer.

There is a transformer manufacturer (Eaton/Cooper Power Systems) in Nacogdoches, but I don't believe they make pad-mounted transformers this large.

The city doesn't supply or install transformers. I believe Rusk County Electric Cooperative is the electric company for most or all of Henderson - they buy their power from Southwestern Electric Power Company. RCEC, SWEPCO, or one of their contractors will likely install the transformer.

There is a transformer manufacturer (Eaton/Cooper Power Systems) in Nacogdoches, but I don't believe they make pad-mounted transformers this large.
That was just what the contractor on site said.

Last night during dinner, my brother-in-law told me that his father messaged him saying that the Henderson Superchargers were now online. Can anyone verify? I think he made an incorrect ASSumption because they're not showing up on Tesla's app or website.