Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hollister, CA (Casa De Fruta, LIVE 12 Mar 2018, 20 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that technically. I'm still wondering why they don't have solar panels and battery backup instead of a generator.
Tesla does not have a generator for this Supercharger, or any Supercharger that I am aware of.

If you are referring to the Casa de Fruta business having a generator, that would be a topic for a thread in the Off Topic forum, since such a generator would have nothing to do with the Supercharger.

Tesla does not have a generator for this Supercharger, or any Supercharger that I am aware of.

If you are referring to the Casa de Fruta business having a generator, that would be a topic for a thread in the Off Topic forum, since such a generator would have nothing to do with the Supercharger.
Did the messages get deleted or moved? I have no "You have filtered out ignored members' posts. See them now?" prompt, so it's not that.

It sounds like the engineers followed guidelines but something wonky happened. If you look at that location from an energy location point of view, it is geologically far away from other civilization. It counts as one of its neighbors a hill range ("mountain range"), a reservoir with electricity generation, a transformer station, and on the other side, a little town that is in between Moss Landing and one of the biggest transformer stations in the State. Heck, it's surrounded by some of the biggest transformer stations in the State. Maybe it's something really simple like a line that isn't sized right, or a weak wire somewhere in a long long run. Maybe a timing issue since the nearest junction is probably further than usual. Something fascinating and interesting might be required for proper engineering in that location. Here's hoping Tesla has the fascinating interesting engineering interest to go fix it in concert with the responsible party in this case, PG&E. I have one idea already: make this a show piece for a nice little solar farm and a little battery farm, since they have the space out there. It wouldn't have to be overly impactful to the driving view; just large enough to give the Casa de Fruta area permanent backup, except on a twice a decade one week rain storm where some employees would probably want to stay home anyway.

Or maybe it's simple upkeep that PG&E should be doing and isn't, and some party could offer to become the local electrical utility for the area. I'm not saying Tesla would be better than PG&E in general (see Solar City reviews), but in this case, they might get away with it without too much fuss.
Sorry to hear about that problem. I suspect the employees are exaggerating. Of course “all the time” is one of those expressions that conveys no useful information.
It's an expression that means more than a little and not constantly. It is intentionally devoid of much information in the middle, indicating that it lacks the maturity of wisdom from long term exposure to the statistics, which means that it is a fairly new thing, but that sample size is not large enough, meaning that a proper survey could gather more information, meaning that it is inviting attention of someone interested and willing to fix it. In that way, it is a pretty precise expression, and is pretty much one of the opening salvos of negotiation for innovative minds to go to the next step. In that way, it conveys very useful information to an innovator, manager, or business man. Likely their own managers were able to use the information to deal with installation and maintenance of their generators.

I suppose there are cases where people don't have access to those types of people (innovator, manager, business man) for which the expression "all the time" would seem to not have useful information; such as dystopian fixed-income cases especially if they are far-flung societies that don't have access to the outside world, etc., which is almost what Casa de Fruta is, but not quite, since they are tapped into one of the greatest road systems of the solar system. Here's hoping they get that tap feed in better shape before much more local aggravation :)

Last edited:
I looked up this Supercharger because I thought it was new or used to be smaller. I used it today and liked how fast the charge was, and at 400 mph it made it a four minute splash and dash. There were lots of available stalls. It was easy to get to off of the travel route. I couldn't understand why I hadn't stopped there before. It made it possible to avoid Gilroy on Black Friday. <shudder>

Only thing was it wasn't clear where the restrooms were. We didn't look since it wasn't necessary this time but it would be good to know for future reference.

• Informative
Reactions: Jazz3D
Without having seen this discussion or knowing anything beyond what you'd see on the center display, I happened to visit the Hollister charger on Friday. It now ranks way high on my list of favorite chargers. I was impressed with the restaurant (I had an excellent omelet) and made a quick visit to the fruit store and its impressive pumpkin-themed display — it is October, after all.

For the record, the other site that really impressed me recently was Shelby Iowa, of all places, and it's delightful park and nature trail just inches from the chargers.