Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Houston, TX - 9633 Westheimer Road (Service Center)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The place was packed this afternoon, but I was disappointed at the speeds. 115 at 30% SOC.
This low speed on new SuCs seems to be a real thing. I have experienced it 4 times. It is as though there is a break-in period on new chargers. Like they must throttle full charge after a period of time to make sure all of the nuts and bolts are torqued after break in period. I know that over time, mostly stranded wire, does compress from initial tightening and need to be tightened again.

This low speed on new SuCs seems to be a real thing. I have experienced it 4 times. It is as though there is a break-in period on new chargers. Like they must throttle full charge after a period of time to make sure all of the nuts and bolts are torqued after break in period. I know that over time, mostly stranded wire, does compress from initial tightening and need to be tightened again.
At the 290 SC they installed voltage regulators. Techs mention was needed due to the unstable wind power in Texas. Also as of yesterday, ERCOT is running out of power so anything is possible when it comes to speed at Texas super chargers.

Reactions: RickParker
At the 290 SC they installed voltage regulators. Techs mention was needed due to the unstable wind power in Texas. Also as of yesterday, ERCOT is running out of power so anything is possible when it comes to speed at Texas super chargers.
Well, whatever the reason, it was true again this morning at 9am. There were only three of us there, and the best I got was 137 kw. But, I had enough time to grab a bite at Jack in the Box, and for my daughter to ogle a red M3.

Reactions: Darmie
Hi all. I am planning to move to the Galleria area in a few months and the apartments that have EV charging in their garages are charging crazy amounts to reserve spots so I am thinking of moving into an apartment that doesn’t have such amenities. How packed does it normally get at the Westheimer supercharger? cos I’m thinking that is where I’m gonna be charging my M3 probably every other day. Open to opinions please. Thanks

I would discourage you from using an SC exclusively for your charging needs for several reasons.

One, that is not good care for your battery. You are going to get varying opinions on it, but I am of the firm opinion that fast charging every time with a powerful DC charger will degrade your battery faster than otherwise. You may not notice it in the first 10 or 20k miles but for sure long before you hit 50k miles, you will notice the difference in your range vs. others.

Second, that is not a fair and best use of a Super Charger, but I can sympathize and understand how it is a necessity for owners who do not have a garage.

Last edited:
Reactions: benswing
Hi all. I am planning to move to the Galleria area in a few months and the apartments that have EV charging in their garages are charging crazy amounts to reserve spots so I am thinking of moving into an apartment that doesn’t have such amenities. How packed does it normally get at the Westheimer supercharger? cos I’m thinking that is where I’m gonna be charging my M3 probably every other day. Open to opinions please. Thanks
1. Can you find a garage to house the vehicle that provides a 110v plug? if they have a light, then you can always consider putting a drop cord from the light down to the car. Charging on 110 is very doable when you're driving under 40 miles a day.
2. Consider looking at plugshare app to locate lvl 2 charging while you are out and about.
3. The Galleria Mall is also installing their own S/C so that may be closer.
There are post on TMC that talk about throttling takes place too much supercharging an S/X. Not sure if there is enough history on the 3/Y. With that said, there are a few articles and posts I've read over the years mention the high mileage vehicles only using SC with minimal concerns. So I guess your mileage may vary, no pun intended. Like Electroman mention, logically, the higher charge rate will task the battery's longevity.

Reactions: Electroman
I would discourage you from using an SC exclusively for your charging needs for several reasons.

One, that is not good care for your battery. You are going to get varying opinions on it, but I am of the firm opinion that fast charging every time with a powerful DC charger will degrade your battery faster than otherwise. You may not notice it in the first 10 or 20k miles but for sure long before you hit 50k miles, you will notice the difference in your range vs. others.

Second, that is not a fair and best use of a Super Charger, but I can sympathize and understand how it is a necessity for owners who do not have a garage.
I actually never thought about that and I do share the same opinions with you on it not being a sustainable way to take care of my battery. I will probably try to use the Plugshare app thing and hopefully find some Lvl2 charging around the area. Thanks for the insight.

1. Can you find a garage to house the vehicle that provides a 110v plug? if they have a light, then you can always consider putting a drop cord from the light down to the car. Charging on 110 is very doable when you're driving under 40 miles a day.
2. Consider looking at plugshare app to locate lvl 2 charging while you are out and about.
3. The Galleria Mall is also installing their own S/C so that may be closer.
There are post on TMC that talk about throttling takes place too much supercharging an S/X. Not sure if there is enough history on the 3/Y. With that said, there are a few articles and posts I've read over the years mention the high mileage vehicles only using SC with minimal concerns. So I guess your mileage may vary, no pun intended. Like Electroman mention, logically, the higher charge rate will task the battery's longevity.
I will have to look and maybe ask the apartment that I am looking to move into. The fact that it’s an apartment makes it a challenge too…but the one I’m looking at does have a garage. The other apartments I considered that had charging stations charge about $150 to $175 a month to reserve a charging spot. That’s just ridiculous so I will have to find one that doesn’t have that amenity and find a way to charge. I will also look into the Plugshare app thing to help me find some level 2 spots to use. This is really an inconvenience smh

I found this Tesla in the apartment I am considering moving to and this was what he had going. Can someone please let me know if this is the regular Level 1 outlet that gives like 8miles per hour of charge or if this is something else? Thanks
51F5D14A-A1DF-4B3C-A0D1-B49FA0933B2A.jpeg
47EB54B7-132D-4263-A2BA-159F0A14A18E.jpeg
4A592A24-5396-4645-AA06-6089681F736A.jpeg
4AC87C70-AA7E-42C8-817F-5DD1C5D0FEC4.jpeg
CBC11789-5B40-47EC-98AC-26E505E5541A.jpeg
08207751-5061-45AE-B8FA-26A9309CDAD9.jpeg

I found this Tesla in the apartment I am considering moving to and this was what he had going. Can someone please let me know if this is the regular Level 1 outlet that gives like 8miles per hour of charge or if this is something else? Thanks View attachment 674723View attachment 674724View attachment 674725View attachment 674726View attachment 674727View attachment 674728
That one should give a good 4-5 mph charge. That outlet doesn’t look like it’s a NEMA 5-20 (one of the legs is sideways). Are you able to see if it looks like this?
B24E32D2-9136-43D1-847D-2BC2BCDE2254.jpeg

A NEMA 5-20 can give you 7 mph charge.

also the way that person has it plugged in is concerning. A short extension to release the strain on the plug is a good idea.

Another concern is that you wouldn’t be able to plug into that same exact outlet and would need to find one that is on another breaker.

• Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4
That one should give a good 4-5 mph charge. That outlet doesn’t look like it’s a NEMA 5-20 (one of the legs is sideways). Are you able to see if it looks like this?
View attachment 674733
A NEMA 5-20 can give you 7 mph charge.

also the way that person has it plugged in is concerning. A short extension to release the strain on the plug is a good idea.

Another concern is that you wouldn’t be able to plug into that same exact outlet and would need to find one that is on another breaker.
I really am not able to see it now. I took that pic about a month ago when I visited the apartment complex.
And yes that is a major concern for me too.
Mehn…this is huge bother for me. I plan to go visit again soon, stay and look around that area to see if I can find any notable alternatives that I can use because this is a major deciding factor for me before I move. Thanks though for your insight. Appreciated

Anyone know why this charger shows “reduced service” in the car nav?? Also the galleria charger shows as closed.
Westheimer Road in the shopping mall is closed because it was causing power outages in the mall (according to a Tesla employee who happened to be walking around near the level two chargers). Also the entire lower level two parking area that is roped off and you cannot access it.

• Informative
Reactions: jrmt23 and mociaf9