Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Idaho Springs, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where exactly are the chargers? What store is this parking lot for?
Last week, on the way back from skiing, I got off at exit 240, stopped at Beau Jos, then headed back to 70E going thru town and didn't notice the chargers anywhere...

Where exactly are the chargers? What store is this parking lot for?
Last week, on the way back from skiing, I got off at exit 240, stopped at Beau Jos, then headed back to 70E going thru town and didn't notice the chargers anywhere...

You most likely drove right by it. It is located behind the Kum & Go across 14th Avenue from Tommyknocker.
Here are the coordinates: 39.741549, -105.518358

Now that Model Y is rated at 315 mile range, I think our next vehicle will be another Tesla. I was hesitant to get a Y when it was rated with a shorter range until we get more quality chargers along I-70. I have enough range anxiety as it is while skiing.

It is worth remembering it is an extremely rare event when Tesla decommissions a Supercharger which means over time they will simply become more numerous and hence reduce thoughts about not having enough range. Nevertheless, I completely understand your present day thinking as Tesla continues to develop the Supercharger network.

Anyone know if it's going to be open this weekend? Even unofficially?

Not usually announced, they just one day don’t have caution tape and they work. I happen to be going through the Green River SC in Utah while the install crew was wiping down the new chargers so I asked and they laughed and me and walked away...yeah it was real nice. Next day they were working though!

Now that Model Y is rated at 315 mile range, I think our next vehicle will be another Tesla. I was hesitant to get a Y when it was rated with a shorter range until we get more quality chargers along I-70. I have enough range anxiety as it is while skiing.

It's really pretty similar to if you left the house with 3/4-7/8 of a tank of gas and most of us wouldn't really worry about that.

Silverthorne is pretty convenient for Copper/Keystone/Breck/Vail/BC. Idaho Springs will be super nice for Abasin/Loveland/WP or return trips for any of them and these new super chargers are very fast. I think you'll rarely charge more than 20 minutes at Idaho Springs.

I've had a M3 LR for a month. 3 adults + ski gear (no rack).

Dino Lots-Copper round-trip is about 53% going fast, a bit less if you drive the speed limit.
Dino-Abasin via Loveland Pass round-trip is around 50% (it's basically all downhill on the way home)

I did Winter Park, but I don't have the numbers handy and we got stuck in bad traffic from WP-Empire so didn't really use much power. I've also gotten stuck in bad I-70 tunnel traffic on the way back from Copper and Abasin (pass closed) and even 3+ hours stuck in traffic and running the heaters/defroster didn't get me anywhere close to worrying about running out of battery.

If you have L2 charging at home, you should not have a problem with anything as far as Beaver Creek round-trip.

Edit: Friday afternoon math, Dino-Copper went from 80% to 27% so 53%, not 63%. Abasin should be a bit under 50% roundtrip as long as the pass is open.

Last edited:
Lol. Partly I just need to relax, but it will be easier with options along the way. I almost always finish with plenty, I just worry as I’m headed up in the morning watching the miles drop. I’m getting used to it. I did have to turn back on that terrible Friday trying to go to Steamboat. I simply wasn’t moving from Georgetown to Silver Plume. The map told me to turn around and go back to Berthoud Pass. The other way to steamboat wasn’t going to work without Silverthorne. ( I still would have turned around with gas car, terrible conditions)

also, as dad, I sometimes need to be a chauffeur after skiing. We only have a 110 outlet at home which is fine combined with work charging. But I get behind on a big weekend. I also take the gas car for most weekend stays up at a place, but that will be less of an option if we do a his/her Tesla.

Another reason NOT to charge in ski country:
Since Tesla crippled regen with an update a few months ago, if you have more than about 60% charge when you exit the tunnel coming back home, your regen will be limited and you will need to use your friction brakes a good bit; and even more so if you parked out in the cold all day.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Another reason NOT to charge in ski country:
Since Tesla crippled regen with an update a few months ago, if you have more than about 60% charge when you exit the tunnel coming back home, your regen will be limited and you will need to use your friction brakes a good bit; and even more so if you parked out in the cold all day.

This is not the case for our 3 or X, so long as we've been driving for a few dozen miles after a cold-soak.

• Informative
I haven't experienced below zero temps. Lowest temps I've experienced on a long down hill was about a month ago, after spending a night in Black Hawk. Overnight temp was probably 15F. When I got in the car the next morning, not only did I have zero regen, but I had the dashed line limiting acceleration, too. First time I've ever seen that. I drove home via Clear Creek Canyon, about 30 miles and 45 minutes and still had zero regen when I got home. On a trip like that, the problem is you use essentially zero battery (other than cabin heat) for that trip, being virtually all down hill.

FWIW, my 2015 MS 85D has about 56K miles on it. I haven't gotten the 2020.4 update yet. I've read some reports that regen is a little better since the update.

• Informative
Ah, I can see it being worse coming from Black Hawk, as it's all downhill as you say. My trips have generally been to eg Breck, Steamboat, etc, where there's at least a couple dozen miles of 'normal' driving first.

I've seen zero regen a few times, but the only time it really stuck around was in Jackson, where it was single digit temps, parked outside constantly, and driven only a few miles at a time. Once we started our trip home, it recovered to at least half regen fairly quickly.

• Informative
I have sometimes made a one night increase before a long trip day, and that is the only time I’ve felt regen is artificially reduced. Cold starts it it’s just not possible is my understanding. I would warn ski trippers of my experience. I hustled off trying to beat morning I-70 traffic (which has become nearly impossible from East Denver). I sailed into the first intersection when no regen kicked in.

re Idaho Springs, there is a good chance I will go a whole year without charging there, it’s just helpful to know it’s there. I won’t be so hyper conservative about pre-charging or re-filling at Silverthorne (although I’ll miss the entertaining conversations)

I would love to see the next station be at any of the above mentioned places. Is there any advocacy that helps. This thread started with local politics approval.

Well, at this point I’m not going to include Idaho Springs on my trip out to Kansas City this Wednesday, but I’m hoping I can include it on my return trip the following Sunday. Being in Glenwood, I could just eek out to Idaho Springs on my SR+ but I’m not going to chance a charger that may or may not be online. I’ll keep tabs on the posts however, in hopes that people confirm its online before my return trip.

I drove by it today and there's no change since the last pictures were posted earlier this week.

I didn't have any regen issues for my M3 coming out of the mountains. The energy usage showed around -300 Wh/mi those last few miles before getting down to Denver. It's a warm day, though. Temps in the 60s in February.