Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Idaho Springs, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped by yesterday on the way home from Winter Park. The lot was full of utility trucks so photos would not have revealed much. I did notice a row of skinny, fixed posts spaced approximately as one would see at other stations but only counted five. Nothing to this fact except that maybe they haven’t made it around to the other side of the lot.

Maybe I’m being pre-paranoid but I was overcome by the idea that this may end up being one of the ICE-iest stations around given several factors: Idaho Springs recently started charging for street parking; it’s the only parking lot in the vicinity of the library, laundromat, elementary school, brewpub, ski rental shop and is directly behind a gas station/minimart. I hope I’m wrong.

Stopped by yesterday on the way home from Winter Park. The lot was full of utility trucks so photos would not have revealed much. I did notice a row of skinny, fixed posts spaced approximately as one would see at other stations but only counted five. Nothing to this fact except that maybe they haven’t made it around to the other side of the lot.

Maybe I’m being pre-paranoid but I was overcome by the idea that this may end up being one of the ICE-iest stations around given several factors: Idaho Springs recently started charging for street parking; it’s the only parking lot in the vicinity of the library, laundromat, elementary school, brewpub, ski rental shop and is directly behind a gas station/minimart. I hope I’m wrong.
I think you are right. I hope that at the very least hopefully they put EV charging only signs and perhaps threaten tows at owners expense if cars don't follow the rules. If they instead put up 30min general parking signs this station is going to be a glacier (Always Iced :D)

Hopefully it won't be necessary, but it wouldn't take much to add an automatic parking lot barrier that kept those without a code from entering the lot. There are a few other spots that aren't Tesla spots but I believe those are for employee parking for the Kum & Go.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
I stopped by on my way home from skiing today and found the cabinets and transformer set but not signs of pedestals. I’m also guessing the inverters go between the transformer and the Supercharger cabinets.
It looks like CO is getting our first v3 Supercharger!
B438E77E-791B-4926-A76D-D52B44DBABC5.jpeg

Curious to know how quickly Superchargers go online from this point. I'm taking a trip to Omaha next week from Glenwood. Would love to stop here instead of Silverthorne to get some more distance into Nebraska before charging again. Especially if its V3!

I’m also guessing the inverters go between the transformer and the Supercharger cabinets.
It looks like CO is getting our first v3 Supercharger!View attachment 491614
No inverters are used in a supercharger installation. The supercharger cabinets do have rectifiers in them, though. They are the equivalent hardware that converts from alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC) electricity, instead of from DC to AC like inverters. The spot between the transformer and the supercharger cabinets will likely be where the switchgear is placed.

• Informative
Reactions: HillCountryFun
No inverters are used in a supercharger installation. The supercharger cabinets do have rectifiers in them, though. They are the equivalent hardware that converts from alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC) electricity, instead of from DC to AC like inverters. The spot between the transformer and the supercharger cabinets will likely be where the switchgear is placed.
Thanks for explaining.