Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Idaho Springs, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also got a pretty slow charging rate, peaking at about 63 kW. I didn't expect to hit the max theoretical charge rate since I showed up at about 30% SoC, but that's still pretty slow. It was cold (19 F), but I had driven from Copper Mountain so the battery should have been at least somewhat warm. Maybe they'll gradually ramp it up during the commissioning process.

Attachments

• IMG_20200209_175641.jpg
    IMG_20200209_175641.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 110
I don’t have a photo for this, but the highest charge rate I received was 130kw in Idaho Springs. I was able to pull 141kw from a V2 in Limon. I’m wondering if it was a mix of cold and no preconditioning that I wasn’t able to pull a higher rate of charge. The station still isn’t on the system, so the car didn’t know to get ready for it. I’m hoping that the 250kw rate is something that can happen for others.

I don’t have a photo for this, but the highest charge rate I received was 130kw in Idaho Springs. I was able to pull 141kw from a V2 in Limon. I’m wondering if it was a mix of cold and no preconditioning that I wasn’t able to pull a higher rate of charge. The station still isn’t on the system, so the car didn’t know to get ready for it. I’m hoping that the 250kw rate is something that can happen for others.
I'm sure it will be possible in time but you need to have the right SoC, optimal battery temperature, etc.

As you mentioned, we're currently unable to precondition when driving to this destination. I tried setting the destination for Silverthorne originally but never saw a notification that it was preconditioning the battery. I changed the navigation back to just go to the Kum & Go instead. In my car, the best I could hope to get is 150 kW but I only saw 75 kW at peak since my SoC wasn't far below 50% and we only live about 18 miles away so my battery wasn't totally warmed up. Also, we hit the end of ski traffic so we were barely moving 7 miles/30 minutes before arriving in Idaho Springs. This probably didn't help with raising the battery temperature.

When going up in pretty cold weather, preconditioning for Silverthorne didn't happen until I was pretty close to the tunnel, no way it would have kicked on in Idaho Springs, but my understanding is that preconditioning is a huge part of getting very high charge rates, so in the cold with no precon, you're never going to get those amazing rates.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Woot used it skiing at winter park...was empty coming and going so guess it’s out little secret for now....got 60kW in the AM so just left after using the kum and go bathroom. Tried to trick my model 3 AWD to warm up for silverthorne but don’t think it warmed up much as I maxed at 140kW for a minute or two before dropping, did 20-95% in about 45minutes...Ate dinner at Tommyknockers which has some outstanding draft beer and burgers. So happy they got this running as it will make ski trips doable in almost any conditions!

Attachments

• 604DE224-DAEB-474D-A73E-28952F956037.jpeg
    604DE224-DAEB-474D-A73E-28952F956037.jpeg
    432.1 KB · Views: 100
I also got a pretty slow charging rate, peaking at about 63 kW. I didn't expect to hit the max theoretical charge rate since I showed up at about 30% SoC, but that's still pretty slow. It was cold (19 F), but I had driven from Copper Mountain so the battery should have been at least somewhat warm. Maybe they'll gradually ramp it up during the commissioning process.
Lol you took a picture of my car with yours...I also only got 60kW at that time, driving in from Fort Collins, tried two different plugs with same result. Got a bit better coming down from winter park later that evening(lots of regen), 140kW max but couldn’t get batteries to pre heat for supercharging either even setting the destination to the Silverthorne charger.

Great timing for me that this charger is online now - I'll be using tomorrow night. Hopefully get to experience that v3 charging speed, although sounds like that won't be the case.
If you arrive with a preconditioned battery at a low enough SoC, you shouldn't have any problem. We weren't able to precondition since it just showed up in nav today and we live close so the batteries can't get to optional temperature before Supercharging.