Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Idaho Springs, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
looks like they are saying there is 1mw power cabinet — so unless they have more than 1 cabinet, you could see conditions where charge rate is attenuated given the requisite configuration of vehicles, temps, and SOCs. (1000/8=125 average)
There is one cabinet for every 4 stalls. They are v3 and all are 250 kW capable.

Attachments

• 20200117_160438.jpg
    20200117_160438.jpg
    746.1 KB · Views: 97
There is one cabinet for every 4 stalls. They are v3 and all are 250 kW capable.
I really hope this is true, but I’m seeing some conflicting info from TeslaTap:

TeslaTap.com | November 15, 2019
A little secret - the V3 Supercharger module is only rated for 575 kW input. You might ask how it can supply 4 cars at 250 kW at the same time, well it can't. Not really a big deal, as you can only pull 250 kW for less than 10 minutes, assuming a low SOC and every car is a Model 3. The chances of four cars all needing 250 kW at exactly the same time would be exceptionally rare, and in that case, the SC can't actually supply 250 kW to all four cars.

Also, I've seen sites with a mix of V3 and V2. Lastly, I suspect total site power on any SC installation is less than the maximum possible from every Supercharger stall combined. Again, it is so unlikely that a location would fill up at the exact same time, with every car at a very low SOC. In that case, Tesla will likely limit the power to match the site's available input power.

Is anyone able to confirm this?

Visited today after a ski trip. Preconditioned the battery for 25 miles before I arrived. Got there at 18% SOC was only pulling a max of 98 kW. Not a big deal to me since only needed enough to get home but still. I’m retrospect I did have the heater on so maybe that tampered a bit with the max kW.

Attachments

• EF575365-4A34-4274-93C2-3291C8102E01.jpeg
    EF575365-4A34-4274-93C2-3291C8102E01.jpeg
    678.2 KB · Views: 84
  • B975CFA5-B9C3-44E1-815A-0A608AF845DF.jpeg
    B975CFA5-B9C3-44E1-815A-0A608AF845DF.jpeg
    713 KB · Views: 95
I noticed the same. When I used Search, it only gave me Silverthorne. When I found it on the map, it gave me the option to Pre-condition. That helped, but still not insane charging. Even so, I had plenty of charge after Kim and Go for bathroom and coffee.

Drove through again yesterday on our way back from the ice castles in Silverthorne. Noticed as we were having dinner at BeauJo's that again the Silverthorne SC was almost completely full while the Idaho Springs one was completely empty.

Was also thinking that if you want to arrive at 10% while traveling east, you pretty much have to hit the tunnel at 10% and be confident in the fact that you're not going to use any energy on the way down to the Idaho Springs SC. Probably pretty nerve-racking for people who aren't used to it.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
The other issue with charging in Silverthrone, if you're going east, is you will lose much/most of your regen (at least with the Model S) coming down the hill. I've been experimenting with various charge levels in a warm battery, and if above 50% when exiting the tunnel, regen will be cut back.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Just charged up at the Idaho Springs Supercharger today. Arrived with 20% charge, no preconditioning since the Idaho Springs Supercharger isn't showing up on the Tesla navigation, but it was reasonably warm at 50 degrees Fahrenheit when I arrived and I had been traveling at freeway speeds for over an hour. Charging ramped up to a max of 213 Kwh in about 30 seconds and started slowly going down less than a minute later. Still, it charged up to 65%, which was more than enough to get me home, in about 10 minutes.

That's strange that Idaho Springs isn't coming up on the nav. I visited that one end of February or first week of March and I had it on my map.

I do think you are probably right that there is no preconditioning in this weather anyways since the battery is probably already at optimum temperature when it's 50F outside and you've been driving a little while

That's strange that Idaho Springs isn't coming up on the nav. I visited that one end of February or first week of March and I had it on my map.

I do think you are probably right that there is no preconditioning in this weather anyways since the battery is probably already at optimum temperature when it's 50F outside and you've been driving a little while
If one sets a navigation destination but the car doesn't need to Supercharge there, it won't include it in the route. If one wants to specifically Supercharge there, then it needs to be selected from the map. It still shows up in all of our cars.

If one sets a navigation destination but the car doesn't need to Supercharge there, it won't include it in the route. If one wants to specifically Supercharge there, then it needs to be selected from the map. It still shows up in all of our cars.
Since I was driving, I just did the voice navigation command, and it wouldn't come up with the Idaho Springs Supercharger despite multiple attempts. I didn't try finding it on the map and tapping on it. I had no problem using the voice navigation command for the Silverthorne Supercharger, and the navigation system tried to send me to the Silverthorne Supercharger when I told it to navigate to my home. It seems that Tesla's navigation doesn't take into consideration altitude change. Heading East on I70, I only used 1% of charge for the 34 miles between Silverthorne and Idaho Springs; traffic was minimal and the weather was great, so it was moving along quickly. Actually, I'm pretty sure I could have made it all the way to the Lakewood Supercharger, but there was no reason to push it. :)

It does take altitude change into consideration. It does not take weather into consideration.
While Tesla navigation does use elevation changes in the algorithm, as you say, one thing it does not do is correct for density altitude and its effect on aerodynamic drag. Since much of my driving is at high altitude, I've used the reduced drag to my advantage in stretching range on long trip legs numerous times.

While Tesla navigation does use elevation changes in the algorithm, as you say, one thing it does not do is correct for density altitude and its effect on aerodynamic drag. Since much of my driving is at high altitude, I've used the reduced drag to my advantage in stretching range on long trip legs numerous times.
Silverthorne is about 9,000' and Idaho Springs is about 7,500', so I had a 1,500' drop working for me along with low air density. If I had kept the speed down, I think the car would have made the 34 miles between the two cities while using zero battery charge.