Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Improvement Suggestions - trailers and broken stalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

juliusa

Oct 6, 2013
Connecticut
Last week I was in Warwick RI at the new supercharger location at Neon (convenience store similar to Wawa, Sheetz, etc).

Suggestion: Put two charging pedestals on each gas island. This would be great for people pulling trailers. It would also work for when non-Teslas can charge, and their charge port is in the wrong place.

On the way home, I saw a Tesla Energy guy changing the charging cord on a V3 stall in Fairfield CT. He turned off the one stall to work on it.

Suggestion: When Tesla knows a V3 stall is out of order, turn it off remotely so it is no longer lit. That way when we arrive and the nav tells us one stall is not working, we know which one - the one that is dark!

Aside: changing the charging pedestal cord was very easy. He said it is pretty common - a piece of a charge port breaks off in the connector, or a pin bends or breaks. Took 15 minutes for him to see the cable was not working and not easily fixable, turn off the power to the stall, take the cover off, remove the old cable, and put in the new one. The cable connects with a big plug - large blades for the high power, and two nipples for the cooling. Held in with a couple of screws. I asked if it was ok to take a picture, and he politely asked that I not. He covers all of New England, and at the time was driving a 2013 MS. He said he usually has a van - I forgot to ask how he tests the supercharger when he is in his van. With the MS he just plugged it in and saw it was working.

Last edited:
When did that supercharger open? It's not shown on Tesla's online supercharger map. I always stay just down the street when visiting RI, and that will be a lot more convenient than going to East Greenwich.
It is under construction - waiting for a transformer right now.

I used to live in tri-states and I know day light exists there 😀
I was at a charger during daylight when a tech turned it off to change the cable. It was daylight and easily discernible that the lights were off in that one. While the lights are not that bright, when you look at two stalls next to each other in the daylight it is quite clear which one is lit and which is not.

There is a reason lighted signs are lit during the day.