Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Indio, CA (LIVE, 36 V3 + 8 V2 + 2 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, the Cathedral City HPWC's seem to be on 208v power instead of 240v, so you only get 8kW charge rate instead of 9.6kW. If you have twin chargers, it's obviously still much better than stopping for 208v/30a somewhere else, but for us single charger guys, it's not a ton better and maybe not worth going so far out of the way. I'm heading back through tonight from Yuma to my girlfriend's place in LA and will probably look for something closer to the 10.

FYI, the Cathedral City HPWC's seem to be on 208v power instead of 240v, so you only get 8kW charge rate instead of 9.6kW. If you have twin chargers, it's obviously still much better than stopping for 208v/30a somewhere else, but for us single charger guys, it's not a ton better and maybe not worth going so far out of the way. I'm heading back through tonight from Yuma to my girlfriend's place in LA and will probably look for something closer to the 10.

That's why I tell every prospective MS buyer to get twin chargers. It will be the best $1,500 you every spent when you get to an 80 Amp HPWC on a trip! Superchargers are not everywhere, and there are more HAL2's* out there than you think.

*High Amp Level 2

photos 6-25-14 about 6PM
IMG_0130.jpg
IMG_0137.jpg

That's why I tell every prospective MS buyer to get twin chargers. It will be the best $1,500 you every spent when you get to an 80 Amp HPWC on a trip! Superchargers are not everywhere, and there are more HAL2's* out there than you think.

*High Amp Level 2

I totally agree. I have recommended a few of my friends who have ordered Model S's to forgo the HPWC but do get the twin chargers installed.

Does anyone know why they sometimes put all the pedestals in the back (back in to charge) and sometimes (like at Harris Ranch) one or two of them are out on the pavement (frontways in to charge) but still the majority is in the back? Why not all of them in the back or in the front?

I drove through Tuesday and Friday and there didn't seem to be any progress and nobody working either time. The pictures Tyl showed seem to still hold true. You can't see it in his pictures, but everything of Tesla's seems to be installed. The charge pedestals, charging stations, etc. are all there. The only thing missing seems to be transformer, which is the pad Cottonwood accurately pointed out. There's a bit of concrete work that needs to be done as well, as you can see a little on the left side of Tyl's picture, where there's little concrete around the leftmost charge pedestal. I have to go through again in a week and really hope this is done by then. The trip to Yuma was a little painful without it.

I totally agree. I have recommended a few of my friends who have ordered Model S's to forgo the HPWC but do get the twin chargers installed.
When I placed my order Oct 2013, I did get the twin chargers for on-the-road use, but to get them I had to order the HPWC as part of the package. Since I already had a 30A J1772 installed in my garage for my LEAF, I still have the HPWC sitting in its unopened box, looking for a worthy public location.

"When I placed my order Oct 2013, I did get the twin chargers for on-the-road use, but to get them I had to order the HPWC as part of the package. Since I already had a 30A J1772 installed in my garage for my LEAF, I still have the HPWC sitting in its unopened box, looking for a worthy public location."

What does this have to do with the SC's at Indio?

"When I placed my order Oct 2013, I did get the twin chargers for on-the-road use, but to get them I had to order the HPWC as part of the package. Since I already had a 30A J1772 installed in my garage for my LEAF, I still have the HPWC sitting in its unopened box, looking for a worthy public location."

What does this have to do with the SC's at Indio?

There's a tangent in this thread. Until the SC is ready, there are HPWCs at Tesla Service in Cathedral City and a gas station in Chiriaco Summit -- so dual charger discussion comes into play...

It seems like nobody has gone by to check it out all week. I have to go to Yuma again and will check it out tomorrow if nobody has reported by then. Hopefully it's already online. The guy at the Palm Springs service center said he thought it was only days away, and that was a little over a week ago now.

It seems like nobody has gone by to check it out all week. I have to go to Yuma again and will check it out tomorrow if nobody has reported by then. Hopefully it's already online. The guy at the Palm Springs service center said he thought it was only days away, and that was a little over a week ago now.

Please let us know... We're hoping its online on the 16th... Otherwise, its 4 hours at Cathedral City (which means coordinating the arrival time in order to catch a movie down the street...)