Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Indio, CA (LIVE, 36 V3 + 8 V2 + 2 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be really nice with a transformer installed on that pad and the Supercharger operational.

Yes. "Just need a transformer" has effectively been the story for quite awhile. If this build was only 3 or 4 weeks old with this level of progress, I'd be excited. As it is, we're several months in. I wouldn't get my hopes up too much that it'll be done soon.

P1010263.JPG

P1010259.JPG
P1010260.JPG

This site may need two utility transformers. One on the pad right next to the Distribution cabinets and a second one across the street where there is another associated pad with pull tape ready for the local power company :confused: whenever it arrives on scene to hook everything up!

P1010286.JPG

Power has to get to the smaller of the two pads first{maybe this is just a junction box os some sort} and then under the street to the pad next to the cabinets.
I couldn't determine where the main source of power is located that will feed the utility transformer(s)?

This one supercharging site will cut many... many hours off of my road trips between San Francisco and Phoenix. Approximately 5-6 hours shorter! Soooo yea!! I am really interested in this site getting completed!! After that on my wish lists are I-90; I-80; I-70; I-40; and I-10 to the east coasts; I-25 north south between Denver CO and El Paso TX; and highway 81 in Western VA connecting I-40 through Memphis and Knoxville TN into Virginia.

I've traveled enough "Off Network" to crave the the energy and the time savings that we all get from Superchargers!!!

Last edited:
Will this SC site hold the record for slow completion? I have seen permits pulled and sites completed over and over again while this site barely moves !!!

No that record must go to San Juan Capistrano. About a year from permits to fully ready. The hold up in that case was utility easement negotiations between the property owner (who had already contracted with Tesla for the Supercharging spaces) and the utility. To be honest, you had two large company lawyers (a bank and a utility company), probably both outside council, charging a huge hourly rate, each trying to out measure each other's dicks. Or at least that's what it looked like. To be more specific, the bank wanted language to say that in the event the utility company did not need the easement anymore, it was to remove conduit and wires within 10 days of the Supercharger going away. The utility company lawyers couldn't agree to this since they can't move that fast. And presumably no manager from either company intervened for months to resolve this rather simple point.

So, who knows what is going on in Indio, but I suspect lawyer hold ups again...

unclegeek,

I stopped in at Indio on Friday morning and had a strange encounter. I got out of my white S to photograph the empty stalls, and then walked further to photograph the empty transformer pad. As I was shooting it, a guy in a truck about 3 parking slots behind me said, "Are you from the big company?" Thinking he was probably a subcontractor, I said "No, I'm just a frustrated customer. I've driven from Charleston SC to Squamish BC, and this is the only missing supercharger on the route. I assume the power company has not installed the transformer yet." He replied, "No, we're not the issue." So I turned around to see the name on the truck. It had a highly stylized coat of arms followed by two large Roman captials HD. He went on, "We don't want to be the missing link," and he drove further away and parked again.

I wonder if I stumbled into a meeting among the various contracting parties and was mistaken for someone from Tesla.

Either way it didn't look like I was going to get any more information.

scoots

unclegeek,

I stopped in at Indio on Friday morning and had a strange encounter. I got out of my white S to photograph the empty stalls, and then walked further to photograph the empty transformer pad. As I was shooting it, a guy in a truck about 3 parking slots behind me said, "Are you from the big company?" Thinking he was probably a subcontractor, I said "No, I'm just a frustrated customer. I've driven from Charleston SC to Squamish BC, and this is the only missing supercharger on the route. I assume the power company has not installed the transformer yet." He replied, "No, we're not the issue." So I turned around to see the name on the truck. It had a highly stylized coat of arms followed by two large Roman captials HD. He went on, "We don't want to be the missing link," and he drove further away and parked again.

I wonder if I stumbled into a meeting among the various contracting parties and was mistaken for someone from Tesla.

Either way it didn't look like I was going to get any more information.

scoots
I'm guessing it was "IID" rather than "HD." Imperial Irrigation District (http://www.iid.com/) is the power company there.

Gear,

I'm sure you are right. I did not have my sunglasses on since I was using my camera viewfinder, and it was ~110 degrees, so sweat was dripping everywhere. I could easily have misread it. The guy didn't hang around for a picture, and I don't think he would have spoken to me at all if he had known I was just an owner. I wonder who he was there to meet. At least he sounded sincerely concerned about getting the supercharger up and very clear that he did not consider the delay his fault.

scoots