Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Indio, CA (LIVE, 36 V3 + 8 V2 + 2 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there has been a lotta "would be nice's", and here's another.
When plugging into SC - an info screen pops up with current conditions expected to the next SC (either direction). And an advisory on charge level needed (plus buffer).

I use the Energy/Trip screen all the time to minimize Supercharge time, but be careful, I do not think that it includes current temps, winds, etc in the projection while charging. This will be a great addition when it happens, but I don't think it is in current releases.

When you start driving, the Energy/Trip screen certainly projects the last several miles' usage onto the rest of the trip, but that is often too late. It helps to figure out how much to slow down to make it to your destination, but the horse has left the barn in terms of figuring out how much charge you need.

Recently heading west out of Indio CA, winds calm, clear sky's. I used 80 miles of range to travel 40 miles, cruise set at 73. The winds did kick up about 15 out from Indio CA. I'm re-emphasizing... Never leave Indio CA, heading west without at least 120 miles of range to be able to travel with the flow of traffic!!! Check the weather forecast prior to westbound departure. If a severe storm is blowing through.... Charge even more to 150!!!

Last edited:
I use the Energy/Trip screen all the time to minimize Supercharge time, but be careful, I do not think that it includes current temps, winds, etc in the projection while charging. This will be a great addition when it happens, but I don't think it is in current releases.

When you start driving, the Energy/Trip screen certainly projects the last several miles' usage onto the rest of the trip, but that is often too late. It helps to figure out how much to slow down to make it to your destination, but the horse has left the barn in terms of figuring out how much charge you need.

Maybe I'm just imaginign things, but I found my energy graph prediction to be way too optimistic when the software came out. Now, a few months later, it seems it is more accurate. Could it be that it adjusted to my driving style? Or maybe I just adjusted my driving to stay closer to the prediction :)

After making $1000 registration for a Tesla Model 3, I was amazed to find out there were 8 Tesla charging stations 2 1/2 miles from my residence located off North Jackson St. in North Indio. Tesla Model S owners in San Diego noted in a blog that they used these charging stations when attending a tennis tournament in Indian Wells and Coachella Music Festival in Indio. Directions: On Eastbound I-10 when arriving in Indio, after passing Monroe St.,turn off at Jackson St.,go left about half a mile, turn right at the Bank (Indio Towne Center)--8 Tesla Chargin
INDIO TESLA CHARGING STATION 2.jpg

I was here Oct 16th around 3pm, all the stalls were in use and there was a queue before the final shows of Desert Trip.

I only used the Cabazon SC the first Desert Trip weekend (Oct 14, early afternoon) and I had to wait, too. I've only been a owner a few weeks and haven't seen any ICE-ing, fortunately :)

I was here Oct 16th around 3pm, all the stalls were in use and there was a queue before the final shows of Desert Trip.

I only used the Cabazon SC the first Desert Trip weekend (Oct 14, early afternoon) and I had to wait, too. I've only been a owner a few weeks and haven't seen any ICE-ing, fortunately :)

That is rare! I have visited both these stations many times, never busy.

Down this am. Copper cables stolen just like at Cabazon.
Got to be the same thieves. Those Supercharger locations are less than 40 miles apart.

I'm not sure how Tesla can protect cables from getting sawn off and taken. I assume this happens in the middle of the night and only takes minutes with battery-driven power tools.

I have to wonder just how much value there is in those cables. It would be some work to take them apart and extract the copper wiring and then sell it.

Is this really about the black market value of copper, or is it vandalism by anti-EV forces?

Wow. Looks like I lucked out. I was just over there his past weekend for the tennis. That would have definitely thrown a wrench into our plans for getting back home! Hopefully they can figure out how to secure these locations.

I'm not sure about other states but most of the scrap yards in AZ require proof of being a contractor when scrapping metal.... I'm sure it's not totally fail safe but it has significantly cut down on cables and equipment getting vandalized.

I have to wonder just how much value there is in those cables. It would be some work to take them apart and extract the copper wiring and then sell it.

Is this really about the black market value of copper, or is it vandalism by anti-EV forces?
Definitely scrap value for copper. 3 to 4 more / lb than scrap steel. Easy target for cable thieves who typically have cable jacket stripping equipment. Maybe there's a way to electrify the cable at all times.

Got to be the same thieves. Those Supercharger locations are less than 40 miles apart.

I'm not sure how Tesla can protect cables from getting sawn off and taken. I assume this happens in the middle of the night and only takes minutes with battery-driven power tools.

The repair, person on location this am, was talking about putting on some kind of fencing over the top of the four walled structure so the walls could no longer be climbed over to get access to the cables.