Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Irvine, CA - Michelson Dr. (Park Place, LIVE 19 Oct 2019, 12 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's an open question as to which will come first - commensurate coverage of the OC and the Valley, or the same for San Diego County. And let's just throw in lighting up the Alaskan Highway with SCs while we're at it.

Meanwhile, an Irvine SC would be nice. And since the Southwest Region's management seems to have an unnatural predilection toward putting SCs in busy, ICE-heavy locations, how about the top level of the "far" parking garage at the Irvine Spectrum? It's just off the 405 at least.

There's also room in the parking lot at Gladstone's, and the other end of that parking lot is a public library. Since nobody reads anymore, perhaps that end of the parking lot would be better. On second thought, that's Newport Beach, and not nearly as easy to get to as the Spectrum.

It's an open question as to which will come first - commensurate coverage of the OC and the Valley, or the same for San Diego County. And let's just throw in lighting up the Alaskan Highway with SCs while we're at it.

Meanwhile, an Irvine SC would be nice. And since the Southwest Region's management seems to have an unnatural predilection toward putting SCs in busy, ICE-heavy locations, how about the top level of the "far" parking garage at the Irvine Spectrum? It's just off the 405 at least.

There's also room in the parking lot at Gladstone's, and the other end of that parking lot is a public library. Since nobody reads anymore, perhaps that end of the parking lot would be better. On second thought, that's Newport Beach, and not nearly as easy to get to as the Spectrum.
The hinterlands of Spectrum Parking (on the east side of the shopping center beyond the Target) might work. The location of the extant DCFC and J1772 EVSEs frankly sucks.

I was at the Rancho Cucamonga supercharger on Dec 30. At 2p - it was a madhouse - every charger taken, people waiting.

There were 5 vehicles parked - plugged in but not charging. No fans blowing - no effort being made to condition the battery. We left - had a meal as planned = 55 min later - there was one guy pulling out so we were able to charge.

And those 5 cars were still parked there - taking up space and not charging. We stayed for 25 min - took on about 50% more charge - and headed out. And people kept arriving - I didn't know there were that many Tesla's here.

I can't imagine that those owner did not get notified that the car was completed and that the supercharger was 'congested.'

But if you have $1000 a month to pay for a car, you have $5 to pay a congestion fee. Even if you are an inconsiderate lout.

Last edited:
I was at the Rancho Cucamonga supercharger on Dec 30. At 2p - it was a madhouse - every charger taken, people waiting.

There were 5 vehicles parked - plugged in but not charging. No fans blowing - no effort being made to condition the battery. We left - had a meal as planned = 55 min later - there was one guy pulling out so we were able to charge.

And those 5 cars were still parked there - taking up space and not charging. We stayed for 25 min - took on about 50% more charge - and headed out. And people kept arriving - I didn't know there were that many Tesla's here.

I can't imagine that those owner did not get notified that the car was completed and that the supercharger was 'congested.'

But if you have $1000 a month to pay for a car, you have $5 to pay a congestion fee. Even if you are an inconsiderate lout.
I wonder how many of those were Tesloop or livery? Tesloop has a bad practice of parking in the Superchargers unattended for longer than would be considered polite.

Having it at the Spectrum poses one very interesting path. If you go south on the 5, you have San Clement and SJC. But once you get to that 5/405 split, either path will lead to a SC. You have Santa Ana off 5 route and Fountain Valley off 405 route. From there you got Huntington Beach and Buena Park.

The only bad thing about Spectrum is the lack of parking availability during peak hours and the difficulty going in and out of there just to charge.

However, if they do it across the freeway in the Walmart / Costco plaza, there are plenty of parking spaces and easier access. Otherwise, one exit south off Bake wouldn't be so bad either.

Having it at the Spectrum poses one very interesting path. If you go south on the 5, you have San Clement and SJC. But once you get to that 5/405 split, either path will lead to a SC. You have Santa Ana off 5 route and Fountain Valley off 405 route. From there you got Huntington Beach and Buena Park.

The only bad thing about Spectrum is the lack of parking availability during peak hours and the difficulty going in and out of there just to charge.

However, if they do it across the freeway in the Walmart / Costco plaza, there are plenty of parking spaces and easier access. Otherwise, one exit south off Bake wouldn't be so bad either.

The ability to access a potential Spectrum Supercharger from two different freeways cannot be understated. Imagine heading southbound on the 5. I don't disagree that they could put one where you suggest, but the Spectrum is prime real estate and with a new parking structure, parking availability should be vastly improved when completed. Also, there's nothing stopping Tesla from putting a Supercharger where you mention right now, while the current construction at Spectrum would explain why there is no current Supercharger location under construction.

Did anyone notice that the Irvine SpC is no longer listed on supercharge.info? Did they decide to cancel this one?
I am unclear on why you would think that supercharge.info is the authoritative source for future Supercharger locations. That site is not run by Tesla. Here is what Tesla’s website currently shows:

BA9287E0-CCA3-4447-90E0-41CF26023B93.jpeg

I am unclear on why you would think that supercharge.info is the authoritative source for future Supercharger locations. That site is not run by Tesla. Here is what Tesla’s website currently shows:

View attachment 303113

To clarify, supercharge.info is a third-party site run by an enthusiast that tracks information gleaned about specific future locations. The info is crowdsourced and often comes from things posted here, on reddit, etc. It does not list future locations until a specific location is known (either because a permit has been filed, construction is underway, the site host has made an announcement, there has been a local news story, etc.).

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
I am unclear on why you would think that I didn't know that.
Sorry, the way I read your earlier post (below) I thought you were saying that because the Irvine Supercharger location that Tesla was showing on their Find Us page was no longer on supercharger.info that indicated it was cancelled. I was only pointing out that Tesla’s website still showed the Irvine Supercharger as coming in 2018. It seems unlikely that supercharge.info would have inside information that would contradict Tesla’s own map.
Did anyone notice that the Irvine SpC is no longer listed on supercharge.info? Did they decide to cancel this one?