Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Irvine, CA - Michelson Dr. (Park Place, LIVE 19 Oct 2019, 12 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive by once a week to look for any progress but see nothing that appears Tesla related. I'm very interested in this one because it is close to my work. Also, I heard a rumor that the Mission Viejo supercharger was going in somewhere on Marguerite "above" the mall where the Tesla store is.

The Spectrum would be the worst place possible. That mall is already a nightmare to get in and out of. With the amount of Teslas in Irvine, it would be swamped with locals 24/7.
While I 100% agree that parking is a nightmare, the Spectrum would be a great location to have a supercharger to walk around for an hour. I think a better place that has been mentioned before would be the Irvine Transportation Center at the Amtrak/Metrolink station. Only problem with that location is there isn't much to do for an hour. Would have to do a quick Uber over to the spectrum.

While I 100% agree that parking is a nightmare, the Spectrum would be a great location to have a supercharger to walk around for an hour. I think a better place that has been mentioned before would be the Irvine Transportation Center at the Amtrak/Metrolink station. Only problem with that location is there isn't much to do for an hour. Would have to do a quick Uber over to the spectrum.
In an ideal world, sure that would be great. However, realistically, anyone traveling through the area would want to skip it instead of waiting two hours in line due to locals getting that free charge in.

Reactions: MountainRatMat
In an ideal world, sure that would be great. However, realistically, anyone traveling through the area would want to skip it instead of waiting two hours in line due to locals getting that free charge in.
Every Supercharger located in a city or town with Tesla owners is going to be used by some of those Tesla owners. And in the US and Western Europe and China and other countries, most cities have a lot of Tesla owners. Nothing is accomplished by complaining about “locals using Superchargers”, but if you insist on complaining about it, do it here
For discussing the issue of locals charging at California Superchargers

Posts about that topic will be moved to that thread.

Thank you.

Reactions: rfmurphy81
Every Supercharger located in a city or town with Tesla owners is going to be used by some of those Tesla owners. And in the US and Western Europe and China and other countries, most cities have a lot of Tesla owners. Nothing is accomplished by complaining about “locals using Superchargers”, but if you insist on complaining about it, do it here
For discussing the issue of locals charging at California Superchargers

Posts about that topic will be moved to that thread.

Thank you.
Oh that wasn't me complaining. I was just pointing out that this location (Irvine Spectrum) in particular would be a pretty bad (horrendous actually) spot for Tesla to choose to put a Superchargers.

Oh that wasn't me complaining. I was just pointing out that this location (Irvine Spectrum) in particular would be a pretty bad (horrendous actually) spot for Tesla to choose to put a Superchargers.
I am familiar with the location, as I have family there and I went to UC Irvine. Orange County is packed with people. The freeways and roads are dense with traffic. The I5/405 intersection seems like as good a place to have a Supercharger as any in the OC suburban jungle.

We can agree to disagree. Regardless, we don’t yet know where the Irvine Supercharger will be located. So, carry on...

Agreed. Anywhere in Irvine would be congested with both travelers and locals no matter where the station is built. Building it in the Spectrum, or a couple of miles elsewhere, will not change that. What matters most to me is easy access in and out, with limited chance of ICEing. It is nice to have some food options nearby, but otherwise, I would prefer limited entertainment to avoid prolonged parking.

What if it was a 20 stall? 40 stall? 60 stall? How big would it need to be to not be horrendous? (BTW, I trust that security at the spectrum would enforce the rules that these spots were for Tesla charging only. I once sat in my car in the parking lot there for 10 min waiting for my wife to arrive and got harassed by security for loitering in the parking lot)

Based on Tesla density in the area, I'm convinced even a 40-stall station would be near capacity most of the time.

Quail Hill shopping center might be another good location. Just off the 405, and doesn't seem to get that busy. Their parking lot could support at least 16 stalls. Then they'd just need to supplement with another station somewhere else, perhaps not at the Spectrum, but at the Costco/Walmart on Technology. Close enough to the Y, but not as crowded as the Spectrum.

Reactions: jowaldo
Based on Tesla density in the area, I'm convinced even a 40-stall station would be near capacity most of the time.

Quail Hill shopping center might be another good location. Just off the 405, and doesn't seem to get that busy. Their parking lot could support at least 16 stalls. Then they'd just need to supplement with another station somewhere else, perhaps not at the Spectrum, but at the Costco/Walmart on Technology. Close enough to the Y, but not as crowded as the Spectrum.
That shopping center is not a great choice, either. Perhaps at the Irvine Auto Center where there's ample horizontal space and easy freeway access would be better, albeit services there would be rather sparse. (The Hat Pastrami notwithstanding.)

Irvine was first listed as a "target opening" in 2017. Now, clearly, it won't make the 2018 target. If you look at the map, Tustin, Irvine and Mission Viejo all have projected supercharger locations. The whole area has seen a major conversion to Teslas, but the need to show a profit means that they won't keep pace with superchargers, even at the higher electricity rates.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound so depressed. :(

Lots of construction activity at the Irvine Spectrum. Anyone know why the front of the structure closest to the movie theaters has all been boarded up for construction? I can dream that it is for the Irvine Supercharger but really no idea what is going on. Also, the new structure by the Targeat is having concrete poured for doubling the size of that structure but zero sign of high voltage equipment for charging anywhere.

I suspect Donald Bren and the Irvine Company - who own a majority of the retail properties in and around Irvine - aren't the easiest to please when it comes to proposed Supercharger locations. Neither the Irvine Spectrum Center or the Tustin Market Place (5 and Jamboree) need any help when it comes to attracting additional customer traffic.

I was thinking The District at Tustin Legacy would make sense.

I suspect Donald Bren and the Irvine Company - who own a majority of the retail properties in and around Irvine - aren't the easiest to please when it comes to proposed Supercharger locations. Neither the Irvine Spectrum Center or the Tustin Market Place (5 and Jamboree) need any help when it comes to attracting additional customer traffic.

I was thinking The District at Tustin Legacy would make sense.
I would argue the District at Tustin Legacy is an absolute nightmare. Entry and exit into that mall is often a gridlocked maze. Going in and out of that mall is a pain in the rear. Especially on busier days it has taken me 15-20 minutes just to exit that mall.

Then again, I guess it would be better than no supercharger at all. But the District is also quite a bit further from the freeway too.

Reactions: MountainRatMat