Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Jacksonville, FL - Philips Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For future info, you can follow TMC threads without having to comment in them. To the top right of the first loaded comment of any page in the thread, there is a button that says, "watch". If you click that, it will open a dialog box that allows you to set your following/notification preferences for that thread.
correct, unlike airports arrivals and departures are not announced.

I think we waited patiently long enough so I reached out to Tesla to see if I could get any updates:

Here is what I was told just now:

Can you tell me when the Supercharger at 5735 Philips Hwy Jacksonville, FL will open?
Construction was complete 5 weeks ago and the stations are still bagged up.

11:32 AM
Sorry about the wait, it looks like that supercharging site is scheduled to be open on 6/18.

I think we waited patiently long enough so I reached out to Tesla to see if I could get any updates:

Here is what I was told just now:

Can you tell me when the Supercharger at 5735 Philips Hwy Jacksonville, FL will open?
Construction was complete 5 weeks ago and the stations are still bagged up.

11:32 AM
Sorry about the wait, it looks like that supercharging site is scheduled to be open on 6/18.
Drove by around noon and it was still bagged up. I'll keep checking because I drive by that location frequently.

• Helpful
Reactions: M3-Florida
I checked the building permit, looks like they have not finalized it yet so doesn't look like it will be up soon. From other permits pulled looks like they have to run other power lines from a nearby transformer..
Thanks. I assumed JEA had completed that work back in April when they were there for several days running the lines to the green main junction box at the far end near Bowden Road side. What I could see did not include high voltage transformer bank connections but it could have been done and I didn't see that.

Interesting this information conflicts with the Tesla contact whop told me it was scheduled to do live on 6/18.

The V3 SC's at Chafee Rd and Yulee didn't take nearly as long ( a few days) to get turned on once the SC cabinets were complete. The contractor work here was complete on 5/7.

Why are we over 6 weeks waiting now?

On another matter, the parking at the side does not include wheel stops. I have seen several pickup trucks parked dangerously close to the cabinets. I think we may see some damage unless they fix that since ICE vehicles are allowed to pay there.

I am informed that JEA has not yet pulled service cables.

Larry
I reached out to JEA for some answers:

Thank you for your note. I reached out to our contact at JEA, and it turns out the electrician hired by the site host (not a JEA employee) installed the wrong type of meter at that location. I don't have all of the details, but it seems that once the code-correct equipment is installed, JEA can energize at any time.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.
JEA Drive Electric Support

I reached out to JEA for some answers:

Thank you for your note. I reached out to our contact at JEA, and it turns out the electrician hired by the site host (not a JEA employee) installed the wrong type of meter at that location. I don't have all of the details, but it seems that once the code-correct equipment is installed, JEA can energize at any time.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.
JEA Drive Electric Support
Thanks for the follow-up.
I assume that JEA means that the electrical contractor installed the wrong meter cabinet. The contractor installs the cabinet and JEA furnishes and inserts the meter into it.

Larry

Probably, Larry, Coincidentally, the photo I got of the flat bed shows the meter cabinet in view resting on the flat bed. That was back on May 7th.
Jax Wawa 5-7-2021b.jpg
<<<

I also reached out on 7-1 to the contractor, asking when they plan to correct the "meter" as JEA requested. They have not responded to my question yet but did acknowledge my inquiry.

Last edited:
I was at the Chaffee Rd V3 today and noticed the "meter" (cabinet) that JEA claims is not the correct one at this location is different at Chaffee Rd.

This one has the meter inside a complete enclosure with a small window to see the meter inside, There are three small windows, I suppose for three meters but only one meter was at this location:

Chaffee Rd meter box.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Thanks Larry. I contacted Tesla on Tuesday and one of their reps said he will reach out to that team and get back to me with what they said. I haven't heard so again, thank you for the update. I hope it is better than what they told me in June.

I plan on driving by tomorrow afternoon so we'll see if JEA got it done and Tesla turned it on.

The new meter is in but still no power to the pedestals.
5735 is the WAWA station I believe. 5739 is the one for Superchargers. They appear to be at least working on it. I still need to stop by tomorrow, but thanks for your confirmation something is now making progress.

It appears that they did have to take down the original meter cabinet as JEA told me earlier.