Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA - Bernard Dr. (LIVE, 56 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving back from the Central Coast and found out that the Bernard location is now open but still yet to be paved.

View attachment 789719
This is good info. We need to do more sleuthing.

I just checked my touchscreen at 1:25 PM on Monday, April 4. The screen says it is "temporarily closed" again. I wonder if Tesla has information that perhaps has this spot open on Friday afternoon/evening and again on Sunday afternoon/evening for weekend travel between SF and LA. I will try to check the touchscreen at various times during the week to see if it is ever showing as open.

Or, maybe there is a trigger that is tied to the original location. If there is a certain level of activity over a short period of time, the software automatically flips the switch at Bernard Drive until usage ebbs to a predetermined point.

I made a trip last night to find it open (on the nav as well). Checked this morning on the nav and it was still listed open at 6am. So perhaps this is related to weekend travel only and sometime Mon morning gets shut down? I traveled on a Tuesday in February only to find it closed after being open on a Monday morning.

20220403_215817.jpg

Reactions: rayluis1988
I made a trip last night to find it open (on the nav as well). Checked this morning on the nav and it was still listed open at 6am. So perhaps this is related to weekend travel only and sometime Mon morning gets shut down? I traveled on a Tuesday in February only to find it closed after being open on a Monday morning.

View attachment 790041
I think you’re on to something. I drove by again today and the Nav showed it as offline and there was no one charging there.

I can report the following:

At 8:30 PM Friday night, this site was open for business with 40-some stalls available.

At 11:30 AM this morning this site remains open for business, again with 40-some stalls available.

So, we shall see if . . .

(a) this site will be open for the weekend and then turned off;
(b) this site will be open through Easter week and then turned off the Monday or Tuesday after Easter;
(c) this site will remain open throughout the spring and summer, and then turned off October 1 or so;
(d) this site will become permanently open

I suspect that the paving has not yet been completed, so perhaps our choices are more restricted to (a) or (b).

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
For those who are curious, I tracked this location all last week.

Tesla kept this location open throughout the week after Easter Sunday.

It is once again dark on Monday, April 25, 2022.

I suspect that the paving will occur sometime in May, and that this spot will open permanently for Memorial Day weekend throughout the summer. We shall have to stay tuned to see if Tesla keeps it open, or once again decides to shut it down after school reopens in late August or early September.

As a side note, the giant expansion of Harris Ranch is well underway. One also wonders if this 60-stall site will have the same periodic openings and closures once it is complete, or whether it will be open permanently. Since it is only about 30 or so miles north of Kettleman City, will the Bernard Drive location continue to play second fiddle to the 60-stall (plus the established 20 or so) and continue the on again, off again availability.

Is the Megapack battery installed yet? If not, I would expect that the combination of paving and Megapack would lead to permanent availability of the site. The Megapack can eliminate the demand charges for normal operations when the site is lightly used. During busy months, the demand charges matter less because they're dispensing a lot of electricity.

Is the Megapack battery installed yet? If not, I would expect that the combination of paving and Megapack would lead to permanent availability of the site. The Megapack can eliminate the demand charges for normal operations when the site is lightly used. During busy months, the demand charges matter less because they're dispensing a lot of electricity.
I am quoting a previous reply on this thread to show you that PGE doesn't have demand charges but subscription services that can be turned on and off and there are blocks of subscription based on how much the customer thinks they will need. I don't think adding in a battery at this location would really resolve that problem unless they then move to a non BEV rate schedule.
Adding a snippet of the link I provided above showing the uniqueness of PGE EV rate schedule.

View attachment 774740

I am quoting a previous reply on this thread to show you that PGE doesn't have demand charges but subscription services that can be turned on and off and there are blocks of subscription based on how much the customer thinks they will need. I don't think adding in a battery at this location would really resolve that problem unless they then move to a non BEV rate schedule.
They’re essentially the same thing with different names. “Demand charges” and “subscription blocks based on maximum use” both charge you for the maximum load you put (or intend to put) on the grid.