Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kirkwood, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not currently active for non-Teslas. So I wouldn't bother until it shows for Charge Your Non-Tesla in the app.

Enfield, CT was built with Magic Dock and it went live for non-Teslas 8 days (10/4) after going live in the Tesla App for Teslas (9/26).
We were typing at the same time! Yours was much more informative. Hopefully it’ll be live soon for everyone.

Finally in the app
IMG_7492.jpeg

Ha, they're moving quick, also saw it in the app earlier. Looks like it's pretty busy, I was showing 7-8 stalls in-use. Great timing with Thanksgiving traffic.
The Thanksgiving Effect! Tesla usually has a rush of openings in the week.

Of course, it could be a combination:
- Thanksgiving Wednesday traffic
- People with non-Tesla EVs trying it out.
- Supercharging.life users who've diverted from the fastest route to visit family so they can check it off their list.

The Binghamton Supercharger might be quieter now.

We stopped in yesterday at 13h51 and there were only two other Teslas plugged in. While the location is not great and somewhat desolate, it is (imo) a huge improvement over the Binghamton Front St location. The Schneider's Market is a humble, rural small market, and there is also an ice cream shop and a Chinese food takeout place next to it. Getting in and out from this new location is super easy and right off the highway. By comparison, the Front Street location in Binghamton was over a mile from either highway exit, with several lights along the way. Also, I never cared for the Spot Diner (those bathrooms were horrendously kept) and the only quick food option was the Sonic across the street. And to make it all worse, the V2 chargers were often busy, which meant slower charging.

Reactions: Allx and BagheeraNY
Bad news… the Magic Docks don’t appear to be working. My friend and I both tried about 5 stalls on each of our phones and couldn’t get the docks to deploy last night.

Also, a lot of the stalls didn’t seem like they were assembled properly. The plastics look loose and almost like they were backed into!

If anyone is there soon, try testing the magic docks while you wait for a charge.

Reactions: Allx
Forgot to mention that we visited this location a second time on 11/26 (around 5 PM) and it was a very different situation: we got the next to last spot, and within minutes every stall was taken and a line had formed. By the time we left, two (or three?) cars were queued up waiting for a chance to plug in. Given the large distance between Moosic and Kirkwood, it feels like they should have deployed no less than 16 stalls. With so many highway exits along I-81 (almost all of them with gas stations and/or fast food places right next to them) you would think that we would see more superchargers getting deployed in this corridor.

• Informative
Reactions: BagheeraNY
Forgot to mention that we visited this location a second time on 11/26 (around 5 PM) and it was a very different situation: we got the next to last spot, and within minutes every stall was taken and a line had formed. By the time we left, two (or three?) cars were queued up waiting for a chance to plug in. Given the large distance between Moosic and Kirkwood, it feels like they should have deployed no less than 16 stalls. With so many highway exits along I-81 (almost all of them with gas stations and/or fast food places right next to them) you would think that we would see more superchargers getting deployed in this corridor.
Do you know if the Binghamton site was full as well at the same time? Hopefully there will be another SC installed somewhere between Binghamton and Tannersville (the new Pocono site will be helpful, but further north from there would be helpful IMO)

Do you know if the Binghamton site was full as well at the same time? Hopefully there will be another SC installed somewhere between Binghamton and Tannersville (the new Pocono site will be helpful, but further north from there would be helpful IMO)
Now that Kirkwood is online, I doubt I will ever stop at the Binghamton location. I did look at its status on our way to Kirkwood and I think it was showing two or three stalls available, which was the same number reported for Kirkwood. There are multiple problems with Binghamton: old v2 chargers (so you often end up sharing the load due to too many cars there, or clueless owners who don't know which stall to choose to avoid this) plus Spot Diner is now shuttered (and those bathrooms were always atrocious) and the food options are super limited (gas station across the road, or the Sonic, unless you want to walk far).

Ever since Bartonsville came online, I seldom (if ever) stop in Tannersville. That location is always crowded, and you often end up sharing a load. PLUS, getting in and out can be a pain. Bartonsville is a v3 location, with plenty of food options in that strip mall. We often venture into Giant to grab stuff on our way to visit family, or on our return trip heading home. But, agreed 100% with you that a location further north would be clutch. Moosic is nice, but it is a major detour if heading to upstate NY. Like I said, with so many exits along I-81 (as well as I-380) you would think that finding a gas station or fast food place where to deploy 8 or 12 stalls wouldn't be hard to accomplish.

To be fair, 11/26 was the Sunday after Thanksgiving, one of the busiest travel days of the year. But I agree, it would be nice to see the I-81 corridor fill out with more superchargers. Cortland will eventually help for travelers continuing north beyond Binghamton, and Tully & Syracuse aren't that much further away. It probably makes sense to add another location near Clarks Summit for I-476 / I-380 drivers going through/around Scranton. Further down I-81, I think Hazleton and/or something near the I-78 / I-81 interchange would make sense too, as those would cut an even bigger gap between Wilkes-Barre and Harrisburg (~100mi, vs the ~60mi gap between Moosic and Kirkwood).

To be fair, 11/26 was the Sunday after Thanksgiving, one of the busiest travel days of the year. But I agree, it would be nice to see the I-81 corridor fill out with more superchargers. Cortland will eventually help for travelers continuing north beyond Binghamton, and Tully & Syracuse aren't that much further away. It probably makes sense to add another location near Clarks Summit for I-476 / I-380 drivers going through/around Scranton. Further down I-81, I think Hazleton and/or something near the I-78 / I-81 interchange would make sense too, as those would cut an even bigger gap between Wilkes-Barre and Harrisburg (~100mi, vs the ~60mi gap between Moosic and Kirkwood).
There's a thread for Clark's Summit at a sheetz. It's sounds like that one is a ways off still. Agree on Hazleton. The entire I-81 corridor is poorly supported until West Virginia.

There's a thread for Clark's Summit at a sheetz. It's sounds like that one is a ways off still. Agree on Hazleton. The entire I-81 corridor is poorly supported until West Virginia.
It wasn't immediately clear from the Clarks Summit thread, but there's a new Sheetz under construction from scratch that's likely to replace the existing one just up the road a bit. The existing one doesn't seem to have enough extra parking to add chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: BagheeraNY