Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lanaʻi City, Lanaʻi, HI (4 stalls + 36 wall connectors)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didnt early ones have a single/dual 40A for 40A or 80A? It’s why Gen 2 HPWC could need as high as 100A breaker for 80A charging. Or did they change that from S to X? Either way, 72A is 50% faster than 48A hence “supercharger.”

Discussion here
The early Model S had a single 40 amp charger or dual for 80 amps combined.
Model X was the first to go with one unit that was 48 or optional 72 amp... Later the 72amp option was dropped. Refresh Model S (after they got rid of the nose-cone) was the first S to use 48 or 72 amp chargers. Obviously they dropped 72amp on that as well. 3/Y never had anything but 32 or 48 amp depending on which particular model you got. Cheapest base models were always 32amp.

/edit Unlike the old single 40 amp chargers which could have a second one retrofitted on to go to 80 amp charging, Tesla never offered a upgrade path for 48 amp S/X to go to 72amps.

Reactions: Mrbrock and Akikiki
I’m on Lanai today, and found this Supercharger location. It is mostly destination chargers, plus 4 Urban chargers. My count might be off, but I tallied 21 on one side, 17 plus 4 Urban on the other. Please check my tally. No indication when, but this location has been up and online for some time.

There are several other destination charger locations on the island that are near the 2 luxury hotel locations. I see a few Model 3 and Y driving around from private owners, and several white Model X that belong to the transportation company associated with the hotels.

Edit: some had suggested earlier that the chargers were hidden or unavailable to the public, but these are all in publicly accessible locations. If you brought your Tesla to the island, you could charge it here.

There also seems to be a Tesla car rental service on the island, but I haven’t pursued this.

@Big Earl @corywright

Attachments

• IMG_4309.jpeg
    IMG_4309.jpeg
    717.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4311.jpeg
    IMG_4311.jpeg
    517.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4313.jpeg
    IMG_4313.jpeg
    695.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I’m on Lanai today, and found this Supercharger location. It is mostly destination chargers, plus 4 Urban chargers. My count might be off, but I tallied 21 on one side, 17 plus 4 Urban on the other. Please check my tally. No indication when, but this location has been up and online for some time.

There are several other destination charger locations on the island that are near the 2 luxury hotel locations. I see a few Model 3 and Y driving around from private owners, and several white Model X that belong to the transportation company associated with the hotels.

Edit: some had suggested earlier that the chargers were hidden or unavailable to the public, but these are all in publicly accessible locations. If you brought your Tesla to the island, you could charge it here.

There also seems to be a Tesla car rental service on the island, but I haven’t pursued this.

@Big Earl @corywright
I count 4 Urban plus 16 L2 on the left which means 20 parking spots total so if the right is mirrored that means 20 L2 on the right for 4 SC + 36 L2 total as the thread title says. Thanks for checking this out!

The reason some suggest that they are hidden is that they are hidden on the app or we would be able to see them from anywhere. They may be "privately" maintained and set up to only charge certain VINs (the rental/resort fleet) so even though they are there in a publicly accessible lot, you may not be able to actually use them if you brought in a Tesla that wasn't part of the fleet. Think of it like a Service Center SuperCharger that isn't behind a gate (rare). They can be physically open to the public but will only charge certain cars when activated.

The rental car service is probably part of the resort since that is their auxiliary parking lot around their auxiliary services like laundry and kitchen.

Reactions: PStewart
I count 4 Urban plus 16 L2 on the left which means 20 parking spots total so if the right is mirrored that means 20 L2 on the right for 4 SC + 36 L2 total as the thread title says. Thanks for checking this out!

The reason some suggest that they are hidden is that they are hidden on the app or we would be able to see them from anywhere. They may be "privately" maintained and set up to only charge certain VINs (the rental/resort fleet) so even though they are there in a publicly accessible lot, you may not be able to actually use them if you brought in a Tesla that wasn't part of the fleet. Think of it like a Service Center SuperCharger that isn't behind a gate (rare). They can be physically open to the public but will only charge certain cars when activated.

The rental car service is probably part of the resort since that is their auxiliary parking lot around their auxiliary services like laundry and kitchen.

I have never seen or heard of a Supercharger that would only charge certain vehicles. That would be a first for me.

@Big Earl @corywright

Thanks for scoping out this location.

Reactions: XHabjab
I thought this one was a private one that had been open for a couple of years or is that a different one on this island?

It’s likely been open for a while (two years?), but it doesn’t appear to be private. It’s in a public parking lot with signs that say reserved parking for electric vehicles.

Reactions: XHabjab
I have never seen or heard of a Supercharger that would only charge certain vehicles. That would be a first for me.
Aren’t the service center superchargers set up that way? I know they dont cost money to use but I thought they weren’t just wide open for use. For example, the ones in Bend aren’t behind any type of gate yet they don’t show up on a map as open. I also thought there was a report of someone plugging in and it not charging. Maybe my mind is making that up which is totally possible.

Also, wouldn’t this be similar to the blacklist that gets queried to see if your car is authorized to supercharge before its starts charging? Or is that car based? (Damaged, salvaged, etc.)

In this case, since Ellison owns the island, is there any way to get vehicles onto the island without going through his company? I.e. is there any way for a non Ellison Tesla to use these?

Right, and note that most of the chargers on location are destination chargers, which I think we know don’t do any VIN check.

The island has a population of about 3100 and many people have their own vehicle. There is no restriction on getting vehicles here, but getting real estate is very hard (read: “expensive”). Larry Ellison is attempting to buy every property he can, at inflated prices. There are properties for sale (about one a month), where the seller will not sell to Larry.

Several observations:
  • Unlimited free charging for Teslas for everybody (definitely via dest chargers, not sure about urban chargers).
  • No restrictions on access to chargers.
  • No restrictions on bringing your car to the island.
  • There are only a few dozen miles of pavement on the island. Most roads are dirt (and mud) for a 4x4.
  • Many property owners don’t have a car but walk or cycle around town, use a transportation service to the ferry or airport.
  • There is one Uber driver. His name is Bob. No Lyft or other.
  • One cab company with several drivers.
  • A DMV office with one employee.
This is a great place to live if you can get your foot in the door. No crime, no homeless. Two police officers. Relatively clean, well maintained.

Right, and note that most of the chargers on location are destination chargers, which I think we know don’t do any VIN check.

The island has a population of about 3100 and many people have their own vehicle. There is no restriction on getting vehicles here, but getting real estate is very hard (read: “expensive”). Larry Ellison is attempting to buy every property he can, at inflated prices. There are properties for sale (about one a month), where the seller will not sell to Larry.

Several observations:
  • Unlimited free charging for Teslas for everybody (definitely via dest chargers, not sure about urban chargers).
  • No restrictions on access to chargers.
  • No restrictions on bringing your car to the island.
  • There are only a few dozen miles of pavement on the island. Most roads are dirt (and mud) for a 4x4.
  • Many property owners don’t have a car but walk or cycle around town, use a transportation service to the ferry or airport.
  • There is one Uber driver. His name is Bob. No Lyft or other.
  • One cab company with several drivers.
  • A DMV office with one employee.
This is a great place to live if you can get your foot in the door. No crime, no homeless. Two police officers. Relatively clean, well maintained.
Um, all Gen 3 HPWC can be set to only allow specific VINs.
https://www.tesla.com/support/charging/wall-connector/access-control (looks like it is limited to 10 VINs) but with 36 they could have up to 360 VINs and each car would have its own charger or bank where it would be allowed.

The Urban SC still don't compute with why they aren't showing up on the Tesla App. The site appears to be active (cars plugged in to HPWC) so if they were public there would be a map pin.

Was there a sign indicating unlimited free charging? Assuming that a charger in a public parking lot would allow unlimited free charging is a big leap. From your points, it sounds like the only Teslas on the island belong to Ellison and the resort. The 2% of property owners seem like the least likely Tesla owners.

Thank you for all the information, it is very helpful in determining what the deal is with these chargers.

Um, all Gen 3 HPWC can be set to only allow specific VINs.
https://www.tesla.com/support/charging/wall-connector/access-control (looks like it is limited to 10 VINs) but with 36 they could have up to 360 VINs and each car would have its own charger or bank where it would be allowed.

The Urban SC still don't compute with why they aren't showing up on the Tesla App. The site appears to be active (cars plugged in to HPWC) so if they were public there would be a map pin.

Was there a sign indicating unlimited free charging? Assuming that a charger in a public parking lot would allow unlimited free charging is a big leap. From your points, it sounds like the only Teslas on the island belong to Ellison and the resort. The 2% of property owners seem like the least likely Tesla owners.

Thank you for all the information, it is very helpful in determining what the deal is with these chargers.
I’m skeptical about limiting access on the destination chargers by VIN. The charging area was in a public area. No signs limiting access. Likewise the chargers at the 2 hotels. I’ve never seen a charger in a hotel or parking lot elsewhere saying that charging is free (or not) and I don’t see why you are expecting it here.

I don’t see how I implied that all Teslas on the island are Larry related and I don’t think that is the case. All the Teslas associated with “Larry” properties are white, some with logos, some without. There are quite a few gray, blue (and white) which really seem privately owned - dirty, with things hanging from the rear view mirror, junk in the back seat, etc. Larry’s are all immaculately washed and polished, mostly Model X. Having said that, the group of white ones in the picture above are likely Larry’s.

Aren’t the service center superchargers set up that way? I know they dont cost money to use but I thought they weren’t just wide open for use. For example, the ones in Bend aren’t behind any type of gate yet they don’t show up on a map as open. I also thought there was a report of someone plugging in and it not charging. Maybe my mind is making that up which is totally possible.

Also, wouldn’t this be similar to the blacklist that gets queried to see if your car is authorized to supercharge before its starts charging? Or is that car based? (Damaged, salvaged, etc.)

In this case, since Ellison owns the island, is there any way to get vehicles onto the island without going through his company? I.e. is there any way for a non Ellison Tesla to use these?

Service center chargers do not restrict access. They also don’t charge a fee unless they’re designated for public charging, in which case there will usually be another set of free Superchargers for service use.

If public charging becomes a problem, as it has at a few service centers, they put up signs, fences or block the chargers with service vehicles.

As to why these aren’t in the nav, I suppose it’s because it doesn’t really matter on a low population island that is primarily fly-in tourism. I file this under If You Know, You Know.

@Big Earl @corywright
This location rents Tesla Model 3 for $95/day:

Their stock photo shows a white one. I don’t know if there are others. I don’t know if this is a Larry Ellison company. There are other rental companies as well.

Correction on a previous message: my wife says the Uber driver is Don (not Bob).

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl