Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lexington, KY - Meijer Way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first post. I've been occasionally checking on the Meijer in Lexington that's supposed to get the new supercharger, and today this was all in the viscinity of where theyre going. I didn't recognize any of the equipment but I was hoping it had something to do with the install.

Attachments

• IMG_20220926_130635625.jpg
    IMG_20220926_130635625.jpg
    517.7 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_20220926_130642981.jpg
    IMG_20220926_130642981.jpg
    659.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20220926_130744848.jpg
    IMG_20220926_130744848.jpg
    633.4 KB · Views: 152
Don't know if this is known but I spoke to a construction worker that was dropping off new charging equipment at the other Meijer in Lexington's parking lot (the one in Hamburg, not the one referred to in the OP here) and he said that it was most likely May when the new charger at Meijer way will be installed. Also good news for Lexington tesla owners, the old supercharger in the Hamburg location is going from 8 to 20 stalls in the same period of time. They already have all of the equipment for it in the parking lot. Not sure if it's becoming a v3 location or staying v2.

Reactions: Big Earl and ShawEV
Don't know if this is known but I spoke to a construction worker that was dropping off new charging equipment at the other Meijer in Lexington's parking lot (the one in Hamburg, not the one referred to in the OP here) and he said that it was most likely May when the new charger at Meijer way will be installed. Also good news for Lexington tesla owners, the old supercharger in the Hamburg location is going from 8 to 20 stalls in the same period of time. They already have all of the equipment for it in the parking lot. Not sure if it's becoming a v3 location or staying v2.

Any chance you can pay a visit to the other Meijer, get some pictures and start a thread for that location?

Almost 100% chance these will be v3 and could possibly be v4. These may even have the magic dock that allows non-Teslas to charge.

YES! I too live on the south side of Lex, and this will be a great addition.
For those not familiar with Lex, it's about a quarter the size of Louisville, so the Hamburg location (north/east) made the most sense, being nearest to the interstate exchange. But most of the affluent population live on the south side, so most of the local Teslas would be here as well. Also, as mentioned by others, this location is within walking distance to a large park, and a major mall complex. Much closer to the airport, and Keeneland.
I personally did most of my charging at home until recently, and I've been having to go to the Hamburg location. The 12 new chargers are up and running, so 20 total there. The new 12 at Meijer Way now have the conduit in the ground, and is progressing nicely. Hoping all the inspections are scheduled and the wait post-construction is minimal.

With the recent announcement of Ford and GM getting onboard with the charging tech, we will soon have to start sharing our charger stations with non-T's.
So there needs to be a LOT more stations everywhere, not just near the interstates.

Pretty sure the the original 8 were V2. The new 12 are V3.
Not sure if they can/did convert the original 8 to V3?

I'm assuming the 12 new on the south side will most likely be V3 as well.

Reactions: bjhinkle
It should help some but the current supercharger is getting 12 additional spots added and the Bucee's that is 30 miles south is also expected to get some chargers.
Yep, the Bucee's spots are open, a nice addition for interstate traveling.
Tesla's agreement with Meijer will be a wider coverage area because they aren't just near interstates. They started adding them strategically, but are now hitting the "secondary" preferences. But Meijer is only in 6 states, so I'm sure Tesla is actively looking for other partners.
Publix could a good way to reach the south. I'm sure there are other regional chains in different areas that would be options as well.

I'm curious as to why Lexington people care that much about new superchargers going in? (same could be said about anywhere they are installed if it's the town you live in).

I mean, I can understand if you are running around and need to fill up quick to continue your journey, but superchargers are meant for travelers. Using one daily is not recommended from what I recall. And even though a park is nearby, in reality it will charge up faster than you going to the park to enjoy it. :) Charging up at home is where it's supposed to happen if you live there.

I'm not saying that superchargers are not needed, in fact I think the opposite is true. We need more and in more rural locations especially in the eastern, souther, and western parts of the state. But the bigger cities definitely need more stations
Louisville jealous of Lex, as usual. jk
😂
You're right about needing as many as possible. The Ford/GM news means we'll be sharing with non-T's soon.

• Funny
Reactions: bjhinkle