Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Louisville, KY - Towne Center Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I said I guess you’ve just got to get it inspected before you flip the switch, he said yeah. So take that for what it’s prob worth.
It's worth absolutely nothing. These guys literally just install the Tesla hardware (as contractors) and that's it. It's a different crew altogether that handles energizing the transformer (the power company) and then Tesla employees would come out to inspect, do whatever finish work they do, and then "flip the switch".

Site looks great.....8 stalls.....7 back in and 1 pull up.....why they did that I don’t know as it looked like they had space to install 8 in series.
A pull up stall is for Model X's that have a bike/ski rack installed in their trailer hitch so they don't have to take all that off to get close enough to a back-in stall. In a pinch it may work for those towing trailers as well, but in most places, leaving the trailer hitched would block a lane of traffic, so usually they would have to unhitch the trailer first. In my opinion, this is a fail with where the charge port on Teslas is located and how Supercharger sites are laid out.

It's worth absolutely nothing. These guys literally just install the Tesla hardware (as contractors) and that's it. It's a different crew altogether that handles energizing the transformer (the power company) and then Tesla employees would come out to inspect, do whatever finish work they do, and then "flip the switch".

A pull up stall is for Model X's that have a bike/ski rack installed in their trailer hitch so they don't have to take all that off to get close enough to a back-in stall. In a pinch it may work for those towing trailers as well, but in most places, leaving the trailer hitched would block a lane of traffic, so usually they would have to unhitch the trailer first. In my opinion, this is a fail with where the charge port on Teslas is located and how Supercharger sites are laid out.

That’s my point....thus my comment my friend.

Ski

Please Please Tesla fill that gap on I-64 between Louisville Ky and Mt Vernon IL. That's a 192-mile gap that needs to be filled.
It'll be interesting to see if the crew that has been working on this goes on to Elberfeld, IN or Florence, KY if either. I'd guess the latter since that has already been permitted but the Elberfeld location is definitely needed for sure.

I'll be driving through Friday, what are the odds these are turned on by then?

Also, any tips for the Mt. Vernon to Louisville stretch? This is my first Model 3 road trip, and with LR AWD it shouldn't be a problem, but the long stretch without a charger is making me a bit nervous. What speed should I maintain to make it to Louisville?

Looks like 193 miles...go as fast as you want!

There are probably better threads for road trip driving recommendations, but in general, here is what I do. When you are at the Mt. Vernon Supercharger, put the Louisville Supercharger as your destination. Charge until the arrival SOC is a comfortable amount for you. 10% is probably sufficient, but if it's your first road trip and you want extra buffer, go for 15% or 20%. I've found this estimate to already be quite accurate, but just to be sure, while en route to Louisville, bring up the energy screen and go to the Trip Mode display. This is what it will look like, except in your case the starting SOC, ending SOC, and miles will be much different (why are there no good pictures of this display on the web? I'll have to take one that is more illustrative):

upload_2020-6-22_11-36-58.png

The way this works is that the dot on the left side of the display is your starting SOC. The white dot with the 62% is your current SOC and shows where in your trip you are on the X-axis. The right side of the graph shows the end of your trip, including an estimated ending SOC. This is what you want to be above 10% (or whatever safety margin you want).

The gray line shows the estimate the car currently calculated when you started. Notice it's not just a straight line--this is because the car is taking terrain (elevation changes) into account. The GREEN line indicates the ACTUAL SOC history (in the case of everything to the left of your current marker) or the revised estimate (to the right of your current marker). If you are driving exactly as the car predicted, the two lines will overlay each other. If the green line is ABOVE the gray line, you are driving more efficiently than the car estimated, and you will likely arrive with a higher SOC than the car predicted. If the green line is BELOW the gray line, you are driving less efficiently and you will likely arrive with a lower SOC than the car predicted (note that the line turns yellow, and then red below certain SOC--don't be alarmed, this is normal).

This gives you excellent feedback while en route as to whether you will "make it" or not. If you notice that your actual line is significantly below the gray line, you might want to back off a bit and pay more attention to how you are driving. But don't be too concerned if the end SOC is more than 2-3% off. This is okay, and part of the reason you aim for a 10% safety margin and not 3%! When I'm on a trip I am usually above the line, but I have seen my arrival SOC dip down to 8% (from an initial 10%) on occasion. No big deal.

Good luck! Road trips in the Tesla are a lot of fun. Get that first one under your belt and you'll feel entirely comfortable with it.

Looks like 193 miles...go as fast as you want!

There are probably better threads for road trip driving recommendations, but in general, here is what I do. When you are at the Mt. Vernon Supercharger, put the Louisville Supercharger as your destination. Charge until the arrival SOC is a comfortable amount for you. 10% is probably sufficient, but if it's your first road trip and you want extra buffer, go for 15% or 20%. I've found this estimate to already be quite accurate, but just to be sure, while en route to Louisville, bring up the energy screen and go to the Trip Mode display. This is what it will look like, except in your case the starting SOC, ending SOC, and miles will be much different (why are there no good pictures of this display on the web? I'll have to take one that is more illustrative):

View attachment 554801

The way this works is that the dot on the left side of the display is your starting SOC. The white dot with the 62% is your current SOC and shows where in your trip you are on the X-axis. The right side of the graph shows the end of your trip, including an estimated ending SOC. This is what you want to be above 10% (or whatever safety margin you want).

The gray line shows the estimate the car currently calculated when you started. Notice it's not just a straight line--this is because the car is taking terrain (elevation changes) into account. The GREEN line indicates the ACTUAL SOC history (in the case of everything to the left of your current marker) or the revised estimate (to the right of your current marker). If you are driving exactly as the car predicted, the two lines will overlay each other. If the green line is ABOVE the gray line, you are driving more efficiently than the car estimated, and you will likely arrive with a higher SOC than the car predicted. If the green line is BELOW the gray line, you are driving less efficiently and you will likely arrive with a lower SOC than the car predicted (note that the line turns yellow, and then red below certain SOC--don't be alarmed, this is normal).

This gives you excellent feedback while en route as to whether you will "make it" or not. If you notice that your actual line is significantly below the gray line, you might want to back off a bit and pay more attention to how you are driving. But don't be too concerned if the end SOC is more than 2-3% off. This is okay, and part of the reason you aim for a 10% safety margin and not 3%! When I'm on a trip I am usually above the line, but I have seen my arrival SOC dip down to 8% (from an initial 10%) on occasion. No big deal.

Good luck! Road trips in the Tesla are a lot of fun. Get that first one under your belt and you'll feel entirely comfortable with it.

Awesome reply and reassuring for BIG battery Tesla's.

I'll be ordering our MY LR AWD and I travel from southern IL to southern MD along I-64 and that gapping hole has bugged me for a long time. As it is a large portion of Tesla owners can't take that route with the cars they current own (60's, 70's, 75's and even some older 85's) and new SR Tesla can't make it in the winter (safely).

I wonder why it's taking Tesla so long to fill this gap?

Reactions: PStewart
I wonder why it's taking Tesla so long to fill this gap?

Unfortunately that's not even a big gap! Little Rock, AR to Oklahoma City, OK via I-40 is 351 miles!

And as some internet trolls like to point out, there are some fairly big holes in the network in areas like West Texas. A trip from Wichita Falls, TX to Ruidoso, NM via Lubbock for example is 454 miles without any Superchargers en route (I have no idea how common a travel route this is--the troll in question apparently wanted to go skiing in Ruidoso).

I suspect that Tesla is (was) targeting Supercharger expansion based on where cars were being sold, and not necessarily trying to predict travel corridors. So possibly Southern IL, IN and western KY are not hotbeds of Tesla ownership, similar to West Texas.

I say WAS above because I see us turning a corner. In my area at least it seems like a few convenience stores have woken up and smelled the coffee and are tripping over themselves to host Superchargers now. And they are actually pretty good at knowing where the travel corridors are because they've been selling gas to travelers and know which stores do well. Hopefully this is the start of a trend.