Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Luling, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Guacahummus

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2020
Tex 📐
Marco stated that there are permits in work with the city of Luling for Superchargers at the Luling Buc-ee's. I wasn't able to pinpoint where the permits actually reside, but may require a new thread considering knowing Luling will get Superchargers and a coming soon pin placed over Luling.

Last edited:
The 'breaking ground' event is coming up within the next few days. From what I've read it is supposed to be a new "largest ever" Bucees being built although the address is showing just the current location. Definitely one to keep an eye on, this location is always super busy. Looking forward to seeing how many stalls we get!

Reactions: Electroman
To say this can't come soon enough, would have been true 2 years ago. Now it's well past time.

Some general numbers of chargers outside metropolitan areas in Texas between major cities (travel from city to city):
San Antonio to Austin: 80 miles, 52 charging stalls. 1 stall every 1.5 miles on average, and 10.6 chargers per million residents of the two areas.
Austin to Dallas: 195 miles, 50 charging stalls, 1 stall every 3.9 miles on average, and 5.05 chargers per million residents of the two areas.
Houston to Dallas: 240 miles, 76 charging stalls, 1 stall every 3.2 miles on average, and 5.17 chargers per million residents of the two areas.
Houston to San Antonio: 200 miles, 14 charging stalls, 1 stall every 14.2 miles on average, and 1.42 chargers per million residents of the two areas.

This location needs between 35 and 40 stalls to put in back to average with the other major highway routes between large cities in Texas.
Flatonia is overrun on non-holiday weekends, so Tesla making this one a priority would make life a lot easier for hundreds of travelers every weekend between two of the largest cities in the country.

Looking at the satellite view, why would Buc-ee’s not incorporate the existing parking lot and pumps? They need a larger store and to increase capacity. But they’ve got a lot of parking and pumps already. No article I have found discusses this.

Luling, TX

Host Type: Gas Station
Host: Buc-ee’s
Along Primary Interstates: I-10
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-90, US-183
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-10

To: Flatonia, TX (v2) - 30.4 miles
Diversion: 0.5 miles
To: Columbus, TX (v2) - 64.5 miles

US-90

To: Flatonia, TX (v2) - 32 miles
Diversion: 1.2 miles
To: Columbus, TX (v2) - 66.8 miles

US-183

To: Austin - E Ben White Blvd, TX - 46.9 miles (Permit)
Diversion: 0.5 miles
To: Austin, TX (v2) - 53.4 miles

Splitter! (Alternative). On I-10, if San Antonio - E Basse Rd, TX doesn't open first, Luling, TX will split 100.2 miles, 73.2 miles from San Antonio, TX, 30.4 miles to Flatonia, TX.

It is also on US-183, and on US-90 (it parallels I-10).

Reactions: Kewmpie1
I was just there. There are substantial changes going on. I think before the renovations started they had around 88 fuel pumps. I could only count 20 or so today. An employee said after renovations are done it will be 160+. He verified that Superchargers were going in too but didn’t say where or how many.

992CB8EB-50BB-44F5-81C6-0F5BD72E19C1.jpeg

It looks so tiny inside compared to other locations. I remember when it was their largest location. The current building will be bulldozed.

A new store build usually takes at least a year. They broke ground in Nov 22, and based on the drawing I would expect the charger install to be one of the last things to go in after the pumps in that section are completed and the parking lot has been completed in that area.

A Tesla supercharger install at an already open Buc-ee’s can be really fast - 10 days in one case. That’s because Buc-ee’s generally uses pre-fab V3 chargers installed along a parking lot edge which requires minimal installation.

It will be interesting to see exactly how they stage this. In this case it would make sense to put the chargers in before they do the landscaping.

Reactions: gregpet
You are right. But when you punch in the address from that tldr site it takes you to the gas station on the North side.

Not sure which location is correct
The location I posted above is correct. It’s the existing Buc-ee‘s location and the new store is being constructed around it.

The supercharge.info site has the wrong address for their gmap link even though their map shows the correct location. The gmap link should be the one I gave above. 10070 I-10 Ottine TX 78658. The store does not have a Luling TX address.

Last edited: