Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Luling, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can’t wait for Luling to become live. If there’s a stop worse than Flatonia I haven’t found it yet.
May I present to you, Cumberland, MD:

1000116446.jpg

If you don’t understand, you must not have had to stop there for a deep charge. The last two times I stopped there, the chargers were full and the V2 began at 50 and went down from there.
I have stopped by there plenty of times to "deep charge" including when its been full. So what you describe is normal for any other V2 location. Yes, V3 along with more stalls would be better, but Flatonia as it currently operates is not that bad all things considered. Trust me, there are much worst SC locations to be at so just be glad that Flatonia even exists now between SA and Houston for the past 5 years or so. Otherwise we would have been stuck with the much worse Supercharger that's in Columbus that has even less stalls, constantly has broken down, and serves even more traffic since it also captures highway 71 traffic coming from/to Austin.

I have stopped by there plenty of times to "deep charge" including when its been full. So what you describe is normal for any other V2 location. Yes, V3 along with more stalls would be better, but Flatonia as it currently operates is not that bad all things considered. Trust me, there are much worst SC locations to be at so just be glad that Flatonia even exists now between SA and Houston for the past 5 years or so. Otherwise we would have been stuck with the much worse Supercharger that's in Columbus that has even less stalls, constantly has broken down, and serves even more traffic since it also captures highway 71 traffic coming from/to Austin.
Columbus is probably the worst SC I've been to - and I've been to several dozen across like 10 states.

I have stopped by there plenty of times to "deep charge" including when it’s been full. So what you describe is normal for any other V2 location. Yes, V3 along with more stalls would be better, but Flatonia as it currently operates is not that bad all things considered. Trust me, there are much worst SC locations to be at so just be glad that Flatonia even exists now between SA and Houston for the past 5 years or so. Otherwise we would have been stuck with the much worse Supercharger that's in Columbus that has even less stalls, constantly has broken down, and serves even more traffic since it also captures highway 71 traffic coming from/to Austin.
It’s the deep charge at low V2 kw that’s the killer and is necessary due to the SC desert in the area. Once Luling V3 opens Flatonia will be a ghost town.

i've posted on this thread before that I've never had any issue with the Flatonia SC. I've use it many times. I doubt I will use Luling much if at all because it is a Bucee's (ie more traffic and probably farther from the bathrooms). FWIW I used a SC in Sevierville TN 4 days ago (at a Bucee's) and it was absolutely my worst SC experience ever. Over 45 minutes to get to it and the same getting out. There were hundreds of cars lined up for miles (literally).

Reactions: StephenBrown2
FWIW I used a SC in Sevierville TN 4 days ago (at a Bucee's) and it was absolutely my worst SC experience ever. Over 45 minutes to get to it and the same getting out. There were hundreds of cars lined up for miles (literally).
That was my experience there exactly, nearly 3 weeks ago now. Folks outside of Texas are crazy about Buc-ee's. (Crazier than Texans, because it's new)
Glad to know it hasn't changed. /s

i've posted on this thread before that I've never had any issue with the Flatonia SC. I've use it many times. I doubt I will use Luling much if at all because it is a Bucee's (ie more traffic and probably farther from the bathrooms). FWIW I used a SC in Sevierville TN 4 days ago (at a Bucee's) and it was absolutely my worst SC experience ever. Over 45 minutes to get to it and the same getting out. There were hundreds of cars lined up for miles (literally).
I've got a post from nearly a year ago on here as well - the third one on this board - about how badly needed this is, and how Flatonia is over run. I don't blame Flatonia for being the problem here, as it's 6.5 years old (prior to even Model 3's being on the road), and was at the time a "large" help for those of us going Houston to San Antonio. When charging then we would be asked lot of questions from people at the gas pumps about what electric cars were like. I feel like we converted a lot of people at that station over the years.

The problem since has been Tesla's complete lack of care about this route, and from my previous statistics:

San Antonio to Austin: 80 miles, 52 charging stalls. 1 stall every 1.5 miles on average, and 10.6 chargers per million residents of the two areas.
Austin to Dallas: 195 miles, 50 charging stalls, 1 stall every 3.9 miles on average, and 5.05 chargers per million residents of the two areas.

The 48 in Temple bring these numbers way closer to San Antonio to Austin.
Houston to Dallas: 240 miles, 76 charging stalls, 1 stall every 3.2 miles on average, and 5.17 chargers per million residents of the two areas.
With 39 added to Fairfield and Ennis since this post.
Houston to San Antonio: 200 miles, 14 charging stalls, 1 stall every 14.2 miles on average, and 1.42 chargers per million residents of the two areas.
0 Added in a year - this is a problem.

You still have the issue of, charge in Flatonia when going west or make it all the way across San Antonio to the west side, with no back-up if things change along the way.
Tesla has shown for years they don't care about this stretch of I-10, as demonstrated by the numbers above and the fact the Converse, Seguin and/or Luling all have been 'coming soon' for years now.