Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Macon, GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have charged here several times although I have little personal knowledge of the area. However, there are some factual errors in your post:
1) the location is NOT "in a dark alley". It is quite open beside the bus station and the Museum.
2) nowhere near "80% of the store fronts are burned out and closed". It is not the most upscale neighborhood but it is not a disaster.
3) there are NOT "homeless people throughout the area". There are some.
As a resident of a famously risky large city, a former resident of several others, I object to hyperbole in describing urban locations. That said, some would prefer suburban shopping center locations for everything. Not everyone shares that preference.

I have to comment after reading some of these posts. I agree with everything jbcarioca said. Last summer I drove my Tesla from Chicago to Florida and back and stopped at 12 SC locations along the way, including Macon twice each way on the weekends. As a woman traveling alone never did a feel unsafe. While the SC is not in a "gentrified" or chic part of town, like the one in Atlanta, it has a lot of warmth and character and friendly people. Charging his Model S was also an African-American gentleman and his teenage son who knew the area and invited me to lunch with them at a nearby restaurant while our cars were charging. It was a lovely local restaurant and the best SC experience of the trip. If cold, sterile, suburban parking lots with chain restaurants are really your thing, then by all means don't charge at Macon, leave it for the rest of us to enjoy.

Just returned from Florida which included a stop at the Macon, GA charger. After reading a number of posts prior to our trip we had considered taking a route around this charging location. I am so happy we did not. We arrived around noon, stopped in the visitor center and was greeted by friendly helpful young people proud of their city and with good reason. Looking for lunch we were directed to Molly's Cafe just up the street and had a nice meal at a reasonable price in a establishment with a local character. Took a short walk after lunch to see what appeared to be successful downtown renewal underway. Felt very safe and had a wonderful time. We were traveling on vacation and this was one of those fun surprises you encounter when you are open for them. In the mid Atlantic and northeast where most of our travels take us we typically charge at malls outlet or otherwise ... this was a welcome change.

just wanted to give an update on the Barefoot Tavern since we used to frequent that establishment when we stopped for a charge. It seems they have vacated their Cherry Street location and moved to Second Street which is considerably farther away from the Supercharger than the old location (too bad). Looks like there is some activity in the old space but it is unclear what, if anything, is going into that space. Here is the page of the new location if you are interested: Bearfoot Tavern Instead, we chose to eat at another one of our favorites, The Rookery, which is on Cherry Street. Welcome to the Rookery . I highly recommend this place... (great burgers) and the kids love the milkshakes! I hope the old BT location will eventually house another restaurant so more options will be available for those Tesla owners who have to spend an extended time charging at Macon. Hope this helps.

Why so many ICE at 1:30 AM on 7/1/2016 as reported on facebook? The Tesla had to wait for 30 minutes one ICE to leave.

13600144_10157181082200217_6721517687408967630_n.jpg

Any updates as to safety concerns here?

It is fine during the day. The visitor's center is right there and has nice bathrooms during normal business hours. There are several restaurants and bars within a few block walking distance. It is a downtown area, so that is what to expect. I haven't been at night, but given the nearby bar scene and location of the parking lot I imagine it isn't the best place to take your kids.

• Helpful
Reactions: GTIceman
I charged in Macon twice this past weekend, once on 3/2/18 and once on 3/4/18. I got a full speed charge on 3/2/18 (>110kw), but could only get around 90kw on 3/4/18. Not sure what the issue was. Used the restroom at the visitor center on 3/2/18 and it was nice and well maintained. Visitor center closed on Sundays, so not available on 3/4/18. We needed lunch though and had a longer charge time to wait for so walked a few blocks to the Bearfoot Tavern. Definitely recommend eating there. We had brunch at 1:30pm on a Sunday and the place was full but not so much that we had to wait for a table. Weather was nice so enjoyed the walk as well.

just wanted to give an update on the Barefoot Tavern since we used to frequent that establishment when we stopped for a charge. It seems they have vacated their Cherry Street location and moved to Second Street which is considerably farther away from the Supercharger than the old location (too bad). Looks like there is some activity in the old space but it is unclear what, if anything, is going into that space. Here is the page of the new location if you are interested: Bearfoot Tavern Instead, we chose to eat at another one of our favorites, The Rookery, which is on Cherry Street. Welcome to the Rookery . I highly recommend this place... (great burgers) and the kids love the milkshakes! I hope the old BT location will eventually house another restaurant so more options will be available for those Tesla owners who have to spend an extended time charging at Macon. Hope this helps.

Just fyi, but the Bearfoot Tavern's new location is only about a block from the Rookery. I've eaten at both, and both are great.

Having stopped at the Macon station on my way to Savannah last week, I must say that it may not be in a dark alley, but it sure feels like it at night. Navigation directed me down Cherry Street Lane (which is not a legal turn from the direction I was coming), which is certainly a creepy dark road at night. When they chose the location for this station, were there no safe, well-lit places in Macon with some nearby 24/7 business? Was this really the best Macon had to offer?
PANO_20180807_022342.jpg

As a resident of Macon, the answer to your first question is, no, there are not any well-lit places in Macon with any 24/7 businesses. The answer to your second question is this probably is the best there is to offer.

Even the newest, cleanest, and most upscale shopping area in the city (here) only has stores that are open until 9pm (a couple of the surrounding restaurants are open later). After closing time all the lights are turned off and the place is a ghost town. I'd rather park downtown where if I needed to yell out for help at least someone would hear me.

Stopped in at the Macon SuperCharger today. A local friend had told me about a great Mexican place near the Tesla SuperChargers called La Bella Morelia located at 499 MLK Jr. Blvd. which is right across the street from the tire repair place next door to the SuperChargers. (see pics) The waitresses were very helpful and the food was very traditional. I was able to order, eat and return to a charged Tesla.
La Bella Morelia01.jpg

Attachments

• La Bella Morelia02.PNG
    La Bella Morelia02.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
  • La Bella Morelia03.jpg
    La Bella Morelia03.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 50
I've been told by a reliable source that a new supercharging location in Macon is in the works, starting construction in late summer.

... and I now know that the new location will be on Tom Hill Blvd, which is at an I-75 exit about 5 miles north of Macon. ... However, I wouldn't expect construction to start until fall. I think Tesla is tapping the brakes on the SC rollout while they focus on getting Model 3 production ramped up, and the company making money, by end of Q3.

I've been told that construction on this will now start in mid October. But I wouldn't be surprised to see it start a lot sooner, since Buford got going (last Thursday) sooner than the "October" I had been told. Ladies and gentlemen, start your stalking :) Watch for permits, in whatever AHJ covers that area.

The new location may be at the southern end of Tom Hill Blvd, near or behind the Pet Supermarket. If you are in the area, stop by and look for signs of construction. And of course also look for permits, although I don't think Macon/Bibb has those available online.

However, construction start is likely still a month or so away, especially given the storm that just raged through central and south Georgia, so don't be surprised if there's absolutely nothing to see until mid November.

We charged at Macon on Tuesday on our way back to NC from New Orleans. It was our first stop of the day, and we spent the time in the Visitors Center. They have a nice little movie on the area, and we talked to an employee for about 15 minutes about the town, particularly the Cherry Tree Festival. It sounded like a very pleasant weekend, but after seeing a post above from 2015 talking about thousands of attendees, I’m a little leery. They also have an interesting Native American festival. All in all, pretty impressive level of activities for a small Southern town. Is there a dynamic young mayor or something?