Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mammoth Lakes, CA - Old Mammoth Rd. (LIVE 24 Nov 2023, 12 V3 + 4 L2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
At the Mammoth Lakes Town Council Meeting of 2022-02-02, a second Tesla supercharger location for the town was given planning approval for construction at the future site of the Mammoth Community Recreation Center (which is being built in Mammoth Creek Park). It will have 12 V3 supercharger stalls and 4 universal (i.e. J1772) L2 stations. According to the presentation (viewable at the link above), construction on the superchargers won't start until the rec center is finished being built.

8.1 Lease between the Town and Tesla Motors, Inc. for space at the new Community Recreation Center for electric vehicle charging stations.

Address: 437 Old Mammoth Rd, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546 [Gmap]

GPS: 37.636186, -118.967973

@Chuq @MarcoRP @corywright

That is a really weird location. Maybe it will make more sense when we see the new community center.
Agreed. Nothing to walk to or do while charging, especially given V3 stalls. By the time anyone walks to any of the nearby establishments, it will be time to walk back, and most of the places nearby are sit-down dining. Definitely no time for that Still, always a welcome addition.
I would have much preferred that they upgraded the current horrific stalls, which have rarely given a decent charge even when new. These are located in a largely unused parking lot, in a far better location. There is easily room for another 12 stalls there.

Agreed. Nothing to walk to or do while charging, especially given V3 stalls. By the time anyone walks to any of the nearby establishments, it will be time to walk back, and most of the places nearby are sit-down dining. Definitely no time for that Still, always a welcome addition.
I would have much preferred that they upgraded the current horrific stalls, which have rarely given a decent charge even when new. These are located in a largely unused parking lot, in a far better location. There is easily room for another 12 stalls there.

Does anyone think that once these new stalls are operational that Tesla will remove the stalls at the original site? They are fairly close to each other, and the original stalls are on town property. Maybe the contract between Tesla and the town is coming up for renewal and Tesla decided that an upgrade with more stalls is better overall.

Does anyone think that once these new stalls are operational that Tesla will remove the stalls at the original site? They are fairly close to each other, and the original stalls are on town property. Maybe the contract between Tesla and the town is coming up for renewal and Tesla decided that an upgrade with more stalls is better overall.
The one thing you can always count on with Mammoth Lakes, is that they will not do anything right nor well. So sure, that is possible. Like I said, that lot is mostly unused on the busiest of days. Parking Teslas there would do more for their economy than this new location.

Listening to the discussion of the project presentation and reading some of the other documents on it, it seems pretty clear Mammoth was exploring EV charging options for the "mobility hub" at the new rec center and mentioned it to Tesla. Tesla decided they'd be interested in coming in on it opportunistically for a second location in town. The town gets Tesla to foot the bill for some universal EV chargers and the added infrastructure costs of upsizing the electrical service, Tesla gets a second supercharger location where they can install V3 superchargers.

No indication that Tesla has any intention or desire to remove the first supercharger location early.

I disagree with a couple of your statements and here is why:

1) There is so much in that area, playground for the kids, distant brewing (with kitchen if you don't want beer), mammoth rock n bowl (much more than just bowling, great food, golf simulators, arcade, bocce ball out back), Hayden Cabin (really cool outdoor spot with fishing in mammoth creek), Organic Bake Shop, Salsa's Taqueria, Dish Bistro, The Stove (known to long time visitors as one of the best breakfast spots in town), Gojira Ramen, The Tavern, and El Charro Taqueria. Also, Vons is a quick walk even in the snow. It is full of great places. I would actually argue there is more to do around the new location than the old location.

2) The current chargers work just fine, the problem is everyone shows up with a cold battery and EV's just can't take charge at low temps so most of the time is spent heating the battery. I always charge right when I arrive in town and get full rate charging every time. The 250KW charger will be even worse because you will get the same charge rates but on an even theoretically faster charger.

Charging stalls in cold locations need many more plugs because charging times are much longer in the cold. I do find that on most weekends all 8 spots are full quite often so the additonal stalls will be a great improvement.

While I do agree with you that Mammoth has a history of doing things poorly I actually think with Tesla they have been very progressive and open and I really appreciate it. The Supercharger in Mammoth is a big reason I reserved my first Model 3 years ago because I knew I could make the Mammoth run and have places to charge.

I disagree with a couple of your statements and here is why:

1) There is so much in that area, playground for the kids, distant brewing (with kitchen if you don't want beer), mammoth rock n bowl (much more than just bowling, great food, golf simulators, arcade, bocce ball out back), Hayden Cabin (really cool outdoor spot with fishing in mammoth creek), Organic Bake Shop, Salsa's Taqueria, Dish Bistro, The Stove (known to long time visitors as one of the best breakfast spots in town), Gojira Ramen, The Tavern, and El Charro Taqueria. Also, Vons is a quick walk even in the snow. It is full of great places. I would actually argue there is more to do around the new location than the old location.

2) The current chargers work just fine, the problem is everyone shows up with a cold battery and EV's just can't take charge at low temps so most of the time is spent heating the battery. I always charge right when I arrive in town and get full rate charging every time. The 250KW charger will be even worse because you will get the same charge rates but on an even theoretically faster charger.

Charging stalls in cold locations need many more plugs because charging times are much longer in the cold. I do find that on most weekends all 8 spots are full quite often so the additonal stalls will be a great improvement.

While I do agree with you that Mammoth has a history of doing things poorly I actually think with Tesla they have been very progressive and open and I really appreciate it. The Supercharger in Mammoth is a big reason I reserved my first Model 3 years ago because I knew I could make the Mammoth run and have places to charge.
Yes, there are plenty of places to eat nearby, but nothing super fast. By the time you walk to Rock 'n Bowl, and walk back, you will be done charging. That's without ordering anything. The same goes with most, if not all, of those other establishments. I guess if there one is getting a very slow charge, as I have at the original location, there is time.

I am well aware of the issues with charging a cold battery, and hence why I go straight there after coming up the hill, setting the nav to that location so the car knows I plan to charge. I have arrived in my old 75D with 50 miles remaining, charged for 90 minutes, and still not received an 80% charge. This is not once or twice, but every time. This also includes during the summer. I used to be able to switch stalls and get better luck, but that trick stopped working. I used to find 4 of the 8 stalls were good, then, 3, then 2...

I now just try to rent at a place where I can either plug into an outlet, or has a destination charger. That makes life simple.

But yes, you are correct, any additional sites is a good thing.

Reactions: MountainRatMat
The current chargers work just fine, the problem is...
I've only used the Mammoth SCs three times - and all three times Teslas were parked backwards in many of the stalls, restricting access. Maybe it's not the top problem, but poor signage contributes to a frustrating experience and a few "wrong way" signs would be helpful.

Reactions: ElectricCyclist
I've only used the Mammoth SCs three times - and all three times Teslas were parked backwards in many of the stalls, restricting access. Maybe it's not the top problem, but poor signage contributes to a frustrating experience and a few "wrong way" signs would be helpful.
I completely agree with this. I have politely told multiple people as they arrive to pull in the other direction. It makes for a much smoother charging experience.

Just wait until the supercharger network opens to other EV's, this problem is only going to get worse, not better. I can just see Rivian's with their charge port in the front blocking two stalls.

Good thing the Cybertruck is getting closer or I would be that guy with the Rivian.

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
The Supercharger in Mammoth is a big reason I reserved my first Model 3 years ago
The construction of that charger in fall 2015 WAS a decisive reason for me to order my first Model S. I wasn't willing to spend that much for a city car. It needed to be practical for my most frequent car travel destination.

With the S90D we would always arrive in Mammoth at low SoC after 45 minute charge in Lone Pine and need to charge while having dinner upon arrival. Then on the last night I would need to charge at Mammoth again.

With the Raven Model S recently we have hit the v3's in both Lone Pine and Bishop for about 45 minutes combined, usually arrive at Mammoth with close to 50% and don't need to charge there until the night before departure. And after skiing the last day we can make it to Mojave for a close to 90% charge over dinner there.

Most of the Tesla Mammoth trips are in spring so very few cold weather issues. The one I notice most is lack of regen coming down from the ski area to town on a cold day. But even then, on departure day usually I have the regen by the time I get to Sherwin Grade.

It helps that we are retired and skiing Mammoth nearly always midweek. I've not yet had to move the car during dinner at Mammoth for fear of idle fees.

The community center is well under construction.

Attachments

• 86C3E210-9B41-4687-98EC-B68D5C22EDDD.jpeg
    86C3E210-9B41-4687-98EC-B68D5C22EDDD.jpeg
    875.7 KB · Views: 433
  • ADF6C600-5183-4947-BEA1-791DF4BFB1BA.jpeg
    ADF6C600-5183-4947-BEA1-791DF4BFB1BA.jpeg
    735.7 KB · Views: 197
Interesting. Given that it just snowed up there, and opening day is next Friday, I think it is time for us all to have a meet-up there and check it out!
I have a feeling opening day will be a little sooner than next Friday. Trying to re-arrange my work schedule to hit it early next week. Chair 1 (or maybe 6) was spinning today on the webcams.

I also find it very hard to believe that the new one is open considering the map on tesla.com has nothing and there was no activity there last time I was up there. Still grey and no address on the supercharger map.

1667422885884.png