Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Manteca, CA - Perimeter Drive (LIVE 12 Feb 2015, expanded 12 Dec 2017, 20 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just drove cross continent and Manteca was the first of 30 sites visited where the stalls were completely missing the usual 1A, 1B, 2A... labels.

Is this information displayed in a place I didn't look?

I drove to Yosemite this weekend and stopped in Manteca on the way up to supercharge. The stalls were all labeled properly, facing north.

Less than 3 months in, and one of the poor stalls already got dinged up pretty badly:

IMG_8222.jpg

I drove to Yosemite this weekend and stopped in Manteca on the way up to supercharge.

I did a day trip to Yosemite today from the Bay Area. Thirteen hours door to door. There's lots of water in the falls, but it looks like a normal year in July, so by July it will be completely dry. There's some snow around on the ridges. I charged at the Ahwahnee HPWC; when I came back there was a red Tesla charging at the other station.

Stopped at the Manteca SC on the way there. Yup, that one got scraped pretty bad. I think it's because it's pretty awkward to get into many the slots -- they are narrow and there's an island placed so that a sharp and accurate turn is required. My first time wandering around a Bass Pro store. Bizarre!

Random comments from my round-trip through Manteca this weekend:

For those who haven't yet figured out the trick to getting into the stalls at Manteca, don't try to do a 90-degree turn into the stall, but instead come down one of the parking aisles (headed way from the Bass Pro store)...you can get into most of the stalls this way by heading straight in or with a relatively gentle sideslip. This part of the parking lot is often pretty empty so there's lots of space to maneuver and get lined up for a good approach. (Look this up on Google Maps or even the Nav display to get the idea.)

This Supercharger is located in the only mall I can remember being in (recently, anyways) that doesn't have a Starbucks, Peet's Coffee, or some functional equivalent.

Because of the weather today, the winds were blowing the lovely odor of something that I think was manure across the whole mall. Normally this isn't a problem.

When I was there today, a Sig X pulled in a little while after me, and my son and I spent some time talking with the owner. A not-real-great picture I took as we were departing (it's a P90D but there's a problem with the spoiler so it doesn't retract):

IMG_8130.jpg

For those who haven't yet figured out the trick to getting into the stalls at Manteca, don't try to do a 90-degree turn into the stall, but instead come down one of the parking aisles (headed way from the Bass Pro store)...you can get into most of the stalls this way by heading straight in or with a relatively gentle sideslip.

What's so special about the spaces? They look perfectly normal in the photos.

If you approach the Manteca charging spaces in the usual way (from the upper left side of the photo) you have to make a very sharp left turn to enter them. What @bmah is describing is a way to avoid having to make that turn.
I will be using Manteca this Thursday on my way to Yosemite. It really makes travel to there from the Bay Area very easy.

What's so special about the spaces? They look perfectly normal in the photos.

You should take a country drive and see for yourself! The travel aisle is quite narrow with landscaping and curb on the other side of the SC stall entry.

The movie theatre at Manteca ain't bad for a stopover activity ... your car will be done by the time you buy tickets though so don't block. :)

- K

Another argument for back-in Supercharger setups. It's much easier to back in from a tight aisle that to go in forwards, simple geometry.

I agree with you, although many drivers, at least here in the US, are not used to back-in parking.

(...mumble mumble...autopark...mumble mumble...)

Interestingly there is one stall at Manteca that is back-in, that's the handicapped access space, and it's at right angles to all the others.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah some people have trouble with the spaces. This is from a few months ago:

Going off-topic, but is that first car *purple*?!?

I have seen this coming and I would not go and charge at one of these locations, they should be put on angel parking. A cement barrier line for the Tesla Supercharger. It would also be cool if Tesla would put up a sign in front of these locations, just like the in Effingham, IL. So it would send a message to nearby drivers.

I've charged at Mantca several times. It's easy to drive into the stalls if you go into that large parking lot and then use the lanes to approach the stalls.

Ditto. I've charged at Manteca four separate times now and never had a problem pulling into the stalls. I was last there the week between xmas and New Years with the mall very full, and still there was plenty of space around the SC stalls in the middle of the day. I too wish there was a Peets in this mall, but I have had lunch here while I charged a couple of times.

Darn :mad: I was looking forward to this location as it's very near the midpoint between San Jose and Bear Valley. It was the perfect location for a top off and leg stretch (we stop in Manteca all the time on our way up or back)

While the Lathrop plant will work, the shops and food joints are not there.

Hi Beaker, Do you visit or have a place in Bear Valley? We moved to Ohio for 4 years, moving back (Pleasanton) in a month. We Have a place in BV and I'm curious what the energy consuption jump is from Copperopolis to BV:)

Hi there!What are your Bay Area-to-Sierra thoughts or tips?

have not been on the forums much, Actually I'm going to ask if anyone here has made the drive to Bear Valley from Manteca SC? ( moving back to Bay Area soon, after a 4 year Ohio stent and picking up a 60kwh MS)

Since we have a 60, and the distance is 109 Miles, Curious if the 60 can make it with 7000' climbing. If we leave Pleasanton full, might have to spend some time to top off 100% in Manteca, and suspect cut it awfully close, or slow charge in Murphy's or such.

I'm curious what WPM average everyone's seeing climbing up the Sierras. (copperopolis to BV especially)

Looking at a few general energy threads, sounds like need to count on 10 miles extra per 1000' climbing. I'll think there's destination charging in Murphy's but dont really want to stop for hours. (though we often used to call ahead to Firewood and order a couple Pizza's to go.)