Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Manteca, CA - Perimeter Drive (LIVE 12 Feb 2015, expanded 12 Dec 2017, 20 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8 stalls total. I stopped by tonight and charged on my way home. Like a lot Tesla owners on the board, I've been anxiously awaiting this charging station. Yay!!!

20150212_182755.jpg
Screenshot_2015-02-12-18-02-51.png
20150212_180019.jpg

Yes, indeedy, Scotty. Now I can head north without taking a 45-minute detour to Roseville or Vacaville in order to continue into the Sacto Valley. And with Mojave under construction, likely to be completed in March, Barstow can be reached without another 45-minute detour to Ft. Tejon. Total extra time for these legs is an hour or longer as it takes additional time to charge because of the additional distance driven. I estimate that at least an hour will be saved when I use these two spots.

But you are correct I live in a charging black hole. There is a marker on the "2016" Supercharger map that looks like it might be in Fresno (or maybe Madera--hard to tell). Until that location is established, it makes getting to Yosemite or Sequoia/Kings Canyon nearly impossible for those from LA or the Bay Area. I am grateful for Manteca and soon-to-be Mojave.

Until that location is established, it makes getting to Yosemite or Sequoia/Kings Canyon nearly impossible for those from LA or the Bay Area. I am grateful for Manteca and soon-to-be Mojave.

Now that Manteca is operational, if I charge there I'll have only about 140 miles to drive to get to the Ahwahnee. And there are chargers there, so I don't see a problem. Plus I'm expecting to see Lee Vining in operation some time before summer, so that will cover getting to Yosemite Valley from the 395 side. Admittedly it would be nice to see a SuperCharger somewhere around the Crane Flat gas station, but I'm not holding my breath.

Coming from SoCal, isn't Yosemite Valley doable from Tejon Ranch? Should be under 200 miles.

Now that Manteca is operational, if I charge there I'll have only about 140 miles to drive to get to the Ahwahnee. And there are chargers there, so I don't see a problem. Plus I'm expecting to see Lee Vining in operation some time before summer, so that will cover getting to Yosemite Valley from the 395 side. Admittedly it would be nice to see a SuperCharger somewhere around the Crane Flat gas station, but I'm not holding my breath.

Coming from SoCal, isn't Yosemite Valley doable from Tejon Ranch? Should be under 200 miles.

First, did the Ahwahnee install some chargers recently? Last summer there were none.

Second, the mileage from Manteca to the Ahwahnee is quite a bit less than 140 miles. If you're going via 120, the distance is only 115 miles.

You're wise not to expect any kind of charging at the Crane Flat gas station - they get their electricity from a diesel genset on site. I scoped out possible sites along 120 a couple of summers back, and decided against Crane Flat for that reason. Big Oak Flat Entrance Station and Tuolumne Meadows both have grid power, so they are possibilities, but probably restricted to L2. At the moment, from Manteca over Tioga Pass you need to stop in Groveland at the Groveland Hotel (HPWC) or at the Yosemite Pines RV Park (14-50) east of town.

Last edited:

According to EVTripplanner the journey is about 228 miles and uses approximately 76 kWh for a light load. That is probably too close for comfort for an 85, and impossible for a 60. Too many semis on 99 to try to hypermile. Of course if a traveler were going to stay in Fresno, there are two hotels with HPWC to recharge overnight. If someone from LA wanted to detour to Harris Ranch before heading on up the hill, that only uses about 45-46 kWh, but probably would add about an hour and a half of additional driving. And driving those two-lane roads during farm season (April-November) can be ugly.

I stopped and charged at the Manteca SC this afternoon, and had my choice of whichever stall I wanted. (no other MS were there during my full charging session). But, maybe I know why. It doesn't exist! Or at least, it does not show up on my SC Nav map, but it's clearly operational.

So, my obvious question is: "Does Tesla wait for several SC's to become operational before updating the SC map overlay on the Nav System? While it's understandable so that a new update isn't every few days, I'd be rather pissed to drive by a new operational SC just because it wasn't updated on the SC tab. I only know of the Manteca SC being operational because of this thread.

TESLA, what's going on?

Scotty

I stopped and charged at the Manteca SC this afternoon, and had my choice of whichever stall I wanted. (no other MS were there during my full charging session). But, maybe I know why. It doesn't exist! Or at least, it does not show up on my SC Nav map, but it's clearly operational.

That doesn't sound right -- pretty sure the Petaluma station popped up within a day or two.

• Disagree
Reactions: Trekker_
I just drove cross continent and Manteca was the first of 30 sites visited where the stalls were completely missing the usual 1A, 1B, 2A... labels.

Is this information displayed in a place I didn't look?
Actually, Springfield, IL is a bit more unusual because exactly one stall out of eight is marked.

However, 44/46 of sites I've visited lifetime have had the labels on all stalls.