Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Marlton, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I met with Promenade management today. Here are some updates:

Grand Opening Event details
- some parking area will be blocked off and traffic re-routed. A symbolic ribbon cutting will take place. The mayor of Marlton will speak. I will also speak representing owners. I am not certain who else will speak. If anyone here would like to say some words, let me know by DM. There will be some food tables and of course nearby restaurants for lunch and people can mingle and speak with any non-Tesla shoppers showing interest. Tesla will be there with representatives and cars.

ICEing - Because the Superchargers are on private property they said there is no law being broken (unlike handicap parking) and they can't tow or ticket people who ICE the "Tesla only" chargers ("It's just a suggestion"). Apparently, the split between Tesla Only and General parking spots was determined by Tesla and can be changed by Tesla as needed in future, including adding a time limit to the General Parking allowed spots. I suggested one option to prevent inadvertent ICEing by non-malicious parkers is to put parking cones with labels that say EV Charging Only. If it prevents ICEing and helps educate the public I felt that Tesla drivers may not mind moving the cones in order to charge. Management seemed to like that idea. What do others think? To help report ICEing if it happens they suggest going to the Promenade Concierge Office (located right by Supercharger behind B'Good) to report the problem.

Level 2 charger: apparently the removal of the Level 2 charger was independent from the addition of the Tesla Superchargers. The Level 2 chargers were moved to another property with the same owner. I mentioned that to be fair to the EV community they should bring back level 2 and it sounded like it was something they were considering. I do think that hearing from EV customers of the Promenade would help. So I encourage EV owners to communicate the need to Promenade management.

@ViviV

Thanks for engaging with the Promenade about the charging stations and bringing the concerns to their attention. Happy that you're working with their management on the grand opening as well. That will help establish a positive, mutually beneficial relationship between drivers and the property owner which should make it easier to get these issues resolved.

I've been to the Marlton Supercharger and witnessed the non-Tesla vehicles parked there. The “PARKING OPEN TO ALL VEHICLES” signs in half the spots are ones that I’ve never seen at any other Supercharger. In my opinion, getting these changed to “GENERAL PARKING” with a 10 or 15 minute time limit would have the best result. I'm not in favor of placing cones except as a very last resort - after all other options are exhausted including changing the signs and adding pavement markings.

State and local laws vary, but many areas have trespass-tow laws that allow private property owners to remove vehicles as long as they follow the regulations which usually include signs warning that violators will be towed. The *threat* of towing usually resolves the problem. For example, the Supercharger at the Outlet Mall in Hagerstown, MD has tow warnings on the Tesla signs. I point this out so that we don’t allow the Promenade to use the excuse of, “there is no law so we can’t do anything.”

Finally and most importantly, if Tesla decided on the verbiage on the signs, then Tesla is responsible for changing them.

-Lanny

MarltonSign400.jpg
HagerstownTeslaSign1.jpg

Reactions: vdiv
@ViviV

Thanks for engaging with the Promenade about the charging stations and bringing the concerns to their attention. Happy that you're working with their management on the grand opening as well. That will help establish a positive, mutually beneficial relationship between drivers and the property owner which should make it easier to get these issues resolved.

I've been to the Marlton Supercharger and witnessed the non-Tesla vehicles parked there. The “PARKING OPEN TO ALL VEHICLES” signs in half the spots are ones that I’ve never seen at any other Supercharger. In my opinion, getting these changed to “GENERAL PARKING” with a 10 or 15 minute time limit would have the best result. I'm not in favor of placing cones except as a very last resort - after all other options are exhausted including changing the signs and adding pavement markings.

State and local laws vary, but many areas have trespass-tow laws that allow private property owners to remove vehicles as long as they follow the regulations which usually include signs warning that violators will be towed. The *threat* of towing usually resolves the problem. For example, the Supercharger at the Outlet Mall in Hagerstown, MD has tow warnings on the Tesla signs. I point this out so that we don’t allow the Promenade to use the excuse of, “there is no law so we can’t do anything.”

Finally and most importantly, if Tesla decided on the verbiage on the signs, then Tesla is responsible for changing them.

-Lanny

View attachment 405393 View attachment 405394
That is helpful feedback. I will engage the appropriate people at Tesla about the signage with the example you mention.

Reactions: vdiv
I met with Promenade management today. Here are some updates:

Grand Opening Event details
- some parking area will be blocked off and traffic re-routed. A symbolic ribbon cutting will take place. The mayor of Marlton will speak. I will also speak representing owners. I am not certain who else will speak. If anyone here would like to say some words, let me know by DM. There will be some food tables and of course nearby restaurants for lunch and people can mingle and speak with any non-Tesla shoppers showing interest. Tesla will be there with representatives and cars.

ICEing - Because the Superchargers are on private property they said there is no law being broken (unlike handicap parking) and they can't tow or ticket people who ICE the "Tesla only" chargers ("It's just a suggestion"). Apparently, the split between Tesla Only and General parking spots was determined by Tesla and can be changed by Tesla as needed in future, including adding a time limit to the General Parking allowed spots. I suggested one option to prevent inadvertent ICEing by non-malicious parkers is to put parking cones with labels that say EV Charging Only. If it prevents ICEing and helps educate the public I felt that Tesla drivers may not mind moving the cones in order to charge. Management seemed to like that idea. What do others think? To help report ICEing if it happens they suggest going to the Promenade Concierge Office (located right by Supercharger behind B'Good) to report the problem.

Level 2 charger: apparently the removal of the Level 2 charger was independent from the addition of the Tesla Superchargers. The Level 2 chargers were moved to another property with the same owner. I mentioned that to be fair to the EV community they should bring back level 2 and it sounded like it was something they were considering. I do think that hearing from EV customers of the Promenade would help. So I encourage EV owners to communicate the need to Promenade management.
Thank you for engaging with management. That type of positive outreach can go a long way. I don't know if I can make it this weekend but am trying to see if I can make the logistics work. Regardless, I hope it goes well.

I've been to at least two other supercharger locations that use cones. It isn't a lot of fun to have to move them but it seemed to work well. I'm not as strongly opposed to them as Lanny. It might be a good short-term solution and it might help change behavior.

Reactions: ViviV and madodel
It might be a good short-term solution and it might help change behavior.

That is what I was thinking. It would be a little inconvenient to move a cone, but at first it's about education and alerting people that they shouldn't park there. The cones would do that. Much easier to move a cone than an ICE car. Also, the manager person told me that because the chargers were not operational for so long (while being set up) people got used to parking there because they were not being used. We just need to break the habit and educate. My preferred solution is some "teeth" to enforcement, but Promenade did not seem willing to use any enforcement.

Is the idea that Tesla should place cones only in the spots that are marked TESLA VEHICLE CHARGING ONLY and leave the general parking spots without cones?

This is just an idea at this point open for discussion. It could go both ways-- just the ones reserved for Tesla or potentially all of them if one considers that there should be no reason to park in those spots if there are other spots available. The cones could simply say "EV Charging" which would not be incorrect for the general parking ones. On the other hand, leaving some without cones would appease the Tesla owners who would complain about there being cones in the first place. Fortunately cones are not permanent so easy to change.

To that end, if you are going to use the superchargers and all or many are available during the mall business hours, it would make sense to choose to use the ones that are general parking to "block" those ones first, leaving the Tesla only ones for Tesla cars that come after you.

How many people/cars made it? Hopefully, someone can upload some photos (or point to a photo album).

Great turnout--33 cars came! Speakers were: someone from the management at Promenade, the Mayor of Evesham, me (@ViviV), and Rick Denzian (a model 3 owner "Zero Emission Musician") and he also sang a song. Then there was the ribbon cutting (photo credit LindaLinda Abate). There are some pictures in the Delaware Valley Tesla Owners Facebook group and the New Jersey Tesla Car Club Facebook Group -- join the groups to see them. I will make an album of more photos and upload a link as soon as I get the pics from the official photographer.

ribbon cutting photo.jpg

Great turnout--33 cars came! Speakers were: someone from the management at Promenade, the Mayor of Evesham, me (@ViviV), and Rick Denzian (a model 3 owner "Zero Emission Musician") and he also sang a song. Then there was the ribbon cutting (photo credit LindaLinda Abate). There are some pictures in the Delaware Valley Tesla Owners Facebook group and the New Jersey Tesla Car Club Facebook Group -- join the groups to see them. I will make an album of more photos and upload a link as soon as I get the pics from the official photographer.

View attachment 407308
What a great turnout! Thank you for organizing the event! I bet that made quite an impression on Promenade's management. I don't do Facebook anymore so it's a no-go on those Facebook groups for me.

What a great turnout! Thank you for organizing the event! I bet that made quite an impression on Promenade's management. I don't do Facebook anymore so it's a no-go on those Facebook groups for me.

I think it did have an impact so I am thankful to all who came out. I also have a Delaware Valley Tesla Owner email list so if you'd like to be notified about upcoming events which we organize, DM me your name and email address and I'll add you to my email list (not shared with anyone and only bcc hidden addresses).

Reactions: theflyer