Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Martinsburg, WV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been thinking of driving part of the Skyline Drive again when our 3 comes in (coming from MD). Seems like Strasburg would be helpful, have you driven further south to comment on other charger options?

I've driven up and down 81 a good number of times this year. The Lexington charger is about 110 miles from Strasburg, if going straight down 81. If you add the length of Skyline Drive in, you are looking at closer to 155 miles. I typically charge to 135-150 miles depending on the season for the route down 81 (I like to keep 15-20% surplus when I arrive somewhere). Adding in Skyline I would think closer to a 200 mile charge would be needed to ensure surplus in Lexington.

Lexington's charge is in a Holiday Inn parking lot behind an Applebee's with a Dairy Queen next door. I have many times run into others at the charger there. If it is a weekend, at times I have seen buses parked blocking a couple of the chargers. I've never had to wait to charge though.

Even though there isn't a charger on Tesla's coming soon map, I do believe there will be another charger about 1/2 between Lexington and Strasburg sometime next year. I'm basing that off the Sheetz website that shows an EV charger at one of their stores in that region. I drove down there a few weeks ago, and there was no charger being installed yet. Also on the Sheetz site it indicates an EV charger at one of their Frederick MD locations. I see Tesla's page does now show a coming soon indicator for Frederick.

Reactions: sigmo32
Been thinking of driving part of the Skyline Drive again when our 3 comes in (coming from MD). Seems like Strasburg would be helpful, have you driven further south to comment on other charger options?
You will be able to drive the whole Skyline Drive and charge in Charlottesville. There are also two locations along the way on Skyline drive with L2 AC charging, Skyland and the Harry Byrd visitor center.

• Helpful
It is officially open! @BlueShift

IMG_3806.jpg

Friday night 9/29/17 9:00 pm EDT

Charging here now.

Stall 4b not lit. Appears to be dead. No indication of a problem with it except no lights. The nav shows it in use. I wrapped iit with caution tape so in the daytime it will be avoided.
Autotransformer conduits still capped.

20170929_205804.jpg 20170929_210018.jpg

Last edited:
Just stopped in here to charge tonight. All stalls open and appeared to be working. Sheetz is a nice clean place to hang out while charging. Free Wifi and plenty of power to charge other things!

I was in Hedgesville for vacation last week, and this charger was awesome, considering the cabin we rented only had 110.

I stopped in to snag some juice when we arrived, on one of the days we did some mountain driving, plus on the way out of town.

Reactions: Thinkje

There is one in Mt. Jackson, VA at a Sheetz. Nothing else special there. Some fast food places. The next one south is Lexington which is a nice small college town. The charger is about a mile outside the historical downtown. I haven't been to that one.