Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mebane, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1628253595811.png

I contacted ABRP as well and they said you can still manually route to it but that it would not be used in automatic planning. This is a 250kW station and in a great location vs Burlington. Hope they fix it soon.

Reactions: RTPEV
View attachment 692902

I contacted ABRP as well and they said you can still manually route to it but that it would not be used in automatic planning. This is a 250kW station and in a great location vs Burlington. Hope they fix it soon.
I had a similar issue with the white marsh, md site recently. The message in ABRP is confusing as the "web page" doesn't actually tell you anything. Apparently they are able to query this status from Tesla directly, though, and mark them as out whenever there is an outage. This seems to happen even for outages of 4 out of 8 stalls at V3 stations.

It makes sense, but it is a little confusing, IMO.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
I had a similar issue with the white marsh, md site recently. The message in ABRP is confusing as the "web page" doesn't actually tell you anything. Apparently they are able to query this status from Tesla directly, though, and mark them as out whenever there is an outage. This seems to happen even for outages of 4 out of 8 stalls at V3 stations.

It makes sense, but it is a little confusing, IMO.
Yes, ABRP is able to query site/stall status from Tesla (and other charging networks). This is a killer feature BTW as you can easily monitor site status while en route and get an idea of how busy the site is, or if there are any problems...I know you can do the same from the nav map, but it's very clunky--ABRP shows it to you front-and-center.

So I suspect that the "site status" for Mebane, represented by the slash/circle icon I posted, represents something that ABRP interprets as "down", even though it's only partially down. To be honest, when I see that slash/circle in my app I too have to wonder what the deal is. It's too bad there's not a "partially down" status marker. Of course ABRP should be smart enough to see that 4 of the stalls are actually up, so why not route to it, but I guess they are being conservative and not wanting to route cars to a Supercharger that might be experiencing full outages at any moment.

Yes, ABRP is able to query site/stall status from Tesla (and other charging networks). This is a killer feature BTW as you can easily monitor site status while en route and get an idea of how busy the site is, or if there are any problems...I know you can do the same from the nav map, but it's very clunky--ABRP shows it to you front-and-center.

So I suspect that the "site status" for Mebane, represented by the slash/circle icon I posted, represents something that ABRP interprets as "down", even though it's only partially down. To be honest, when I see that slash/circle in my app I too have to wonder what the deal is. It's too bad there's not a "partially down" status marker. Of course ABRP should be smart enough to see that 4 of the stalls are actually up, so why not route to it, but I guess they are being conservative and not wanting to route cars to a Supercharger that might be experiencing full outages at any moment.
I agree, although the other worrisome thing that I discovered was that the information can be up to 24 hours out of date. Apparently outage information is only retrieved daily. In practice, it seems like this would mean a lot of false outages and potentially missed outages as well.

I don't think its the fault of ABRP, but it seems like a significant limitation.

I agree, although the other worrisome thing that I discovered was that the information can be up to 24 hours out of date. Apparently outage information is only retrieved daily. In practice, it seems like this would mean a lot of false outages and potentially missed outages as well.

I don't think its the fault of ABRP, but it seems like a significant limitation.
I'm just surprised that ABRP has access to this information at all. I followed some (older) threads about a method to get site/stall status from the Tesla back-end (determined by sniffing the network traffic that the car's nav system was sending to Tesla, since the nav system shows this data). Tesla was pretty quick to shut it down and/or request that the people that did it cease doing so. I think the fear is that taken in total, Supercharger utilization data would be competitive information that Tesla did not want public. In light of that, I suspect ABRP may have made a deal with Tesla to get access to that data, which I do think serves the interest of the community at large, and with restrictions on what ABRP can do with the data, protects Tesla's interests as well.

But yes, it would be important for the data to be reasonable up to date. If the site status data is not reliable, then perhaps it should be ignored. As far as I know, the stall status information is pretty close to real-time and hopefully can be relied upon, but of course that's just the status of the Supercharger cabinet itself. If there is construction or vehicles or an issue with the pedestals themselves being blocked or damaged, that may not show up as a stall being down in the live status display.

I'm just surprised that ABRP has access to this information at all. I followed some (older) threads about a method to get site/stall status from the Tesla back-end (determined by sniffing the network traffic that the car's nav system was sending to Tesla, since the nav system shows this data). Tesla was pretty quick to shut it down and/or request that the people that did it cease doing so. I think the fear is that taken in total, Supercharger utilization data would be competitive information that Tesla did not want public. In light of that, I suspect ABRP may have made a deal with Tesla to get access to that data, which I do think serves the interest of the community at large, and with restrictions on what ABRP can do with the data, protects Tesla's interests as well.

But yes, it would be important for the data to be reasonable up to date. If the site status data is not reliable, then perhaps it should be ignored. As far as I know, the stall status information is pretty close to real-time and hopefully can be relied upon, but of course that's just the status of the Supercharger cabinet itself. If there is construction or vehicles or an issue with the pedestals themselves being blocked or damaged, that may not show up as a stall being down in the live status display.
Yeah, our cars get the status of all the SuC in the area, I hadnt heard about Tesla shutting down stats and interesting that ABRP and it's use of that data. I wonder how they get it if they arent getting it from the cars, must be a deal directly with them. Seems like Mebane down for some site maintenance now.

1628268335405.png

Yeah, our cars get the status of all the SuC in the area, I hadnt heard about Tesla shutting down stats and interesting that ABRP and it's use of that data. I wonder how they get it if they arent getting it from the cars, must be a deal directly with them. Seems like Mebane down for some site maintenance now.

View attachment 693040
That's a very cool chart...where did that come from? ABRP?

Here is the thread (and specifically the post) that I am basing my comments on: Supercharger Live Status

Okay, that's from February 2017, so not exactly new, but that seems to be one of the most complete discussions on the topic, even though there have been a few more recent threads on the subject (that didn't live long).

I suppose Tesla could have done a complete 180 in the interim and opened up the API again and ABRP is simply taking advantage of it, but I do actually suspect that whatever ABRP is doing, they are doing with the explicit permission of Tesla and perhaps they opened it up just to them.

That's a very cool chart...where did that come from? ABRP?
Self hosted software but feeds into a web console that is aggregated from other users as well. I have it setup as a docker container.

• Informative
Reactions: RTPEV
Went here this weekend. 1 stall was out of order with the Tesla light off and yellow construction warning tape all over it, I'm curious how long it will take Tesla to repair it. The stall I charged at was charging normally.

Sitting there charging with the view of all the people and the pumps right in front you of just breathing in all those fumes makes you feel like you are watching some Sci-Fi movie. 🤢🤮

Reactions: DavidAsheville
FYI: This Sheetz location is set to close for about 5 months for renovation:

I just checked the in-car navigation and it shows this location offline so I would think that this location needs to be updated on the supercharger.info map
@corywright @Big Earl @tes-s

1663031070775.png